Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2018, 10:47 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times

Advertisements

Last year, my parents' little Karen terrier got diagnosed with cancer. He was about 15, so my parents thought treatment would be too costly. I agreed. They decided to make the dog as comfy as possible until he croaks. That was about a year ago.

In the last few months, the tumor was very noticeable on him. And he became weaker and weaker. Then he stopped being able to walk on his own. My dad had to start carrying him around. We all thought his time finally came.

Well, a couple days ago I visited my parents and my mom excitedly told me their dog was running around again. She called him and sure enough he came running. WTH?

Not limping. He actually ran to us and wagging his tail all happy like before. I picked him up and the tumor was really noticeable.

I didn't say this out loud, but inside my head I thought may be this is the intense burning at the end? You know how right before a candle burns itself out, it actually is the biggest and brightest burn. May be this is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 10:52 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
cairn terrier is the proper name .....

Old 05-03-2018, 11:03 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
cairn terrier is the proper name .....
Meh, I blame it on the autocorrect... in my head.

Old 05-03-2018, 12:28 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
these cairns can go and go I had one and so did my aunt and that dog of mine lived to be 17 yrs old .

Old 05-03-2018, 01:14 PM

193 posts, read 147,846 times
Our dog had multiple health issues and we would think "now is the time" only for her to get a second wind and prove us wrong! She was a mutt-- poodle, terrier and some kind of retriever we think. It seems pretty common. We also had a cat with cancer who would stop eating, we would take him to the vet for his final appointment, and he would start meowing for treats and start eating again. It happened twice.

When its time, you know.

Old 05-03-2018, 01:20 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times
I understand what you are saying as I have seen it in dogs and people that are on deaths door then suddenly they perk up for a short time before they die. Many call it the last rally.

Growing up we had a dog that started having seizures and the vet thought it might be a brain tumor. the only place in the state that could have scanned him back then was UCD as it has a vet school but it was too far away and cost too much so we never knew for sure. One day he had a very prolonged seizure and after it he could not get up or walk so my parents made the decision to put him down if he did not improve in a day or two. Two days later he was no better so they made an appointment at the vets for the next day. That night at bed time the dog got up and made the rounds he use to do which was checking in each bedroom to make sure us kids were home and safe. Next morning he seemed back to normal so my parents cancelled the appointment. A days later I came home from school and he greeted me and followed me as I went to change clothes to go out with my friend. Suddenly he dropped and had a seizure only this time he died with me sitting beside him. So yeah he had a few days of a rally which go everyone's hopes up.

I have seen people that were in a coma suddenly wake up and talk and often get to say things to family members and get everyone's hopes up only top die within 24 hrs. I do not think any one can explain why it happens but sometimes it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs