Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2018, 09:17 PM

6 posts, read 6,556 times

Advertisements

Jazz has turned 1 yr old and her training is going well, most of the time. Still gets excited and becomes deaf at times. I am enjoying this forum and find it most entertaining.

Today, on our walk, I needed to leash her for a while because there was some offal where shooters had been butchering Kangaroos. The farmer does sometimes bait for dingoes so I don't want her picking up dead stuff, and she loooooooooves dead stuff! When I released her, she just bolted all the way back and grabbed a leg, after which she came back home with me, keeping her distance as she knows I'll take it if I can. Still carrying it when we got home and I broke out all the best things to distract her from it, then just walked after her hoping she'd get tired of the game and give it up. She got a stern NO! when she made the dash for cash but after that I didn't say a word, but body language was most displeased!

So when I told her what I thought of her and walked away in disgust imagine my surprise when she arrived in perfect heel position, without her prize, and since then has behaved as if she is a sorry pup, a good girl really. (Got heaps of praise for coming with me, has had breakfast and is napping happily in the sun). Makes me wonder if we underestimate our dogs intelligence, and how much of the time they are just plain having a lend of us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 09:47 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,345,126 times
Stop using NO & Start teaching her LEAVE IT for anything you don't want her to have. Start with things around the house... then do it outside. Finally put her most tempting food treat out around the yard.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=teachi...9cd44790022fb2

Old 06-17-2018, 06:00 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,008,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazziesMum View Post
. . . Makes me wonder if we underestimate our dogs intelligence, and how much of the time they are just plain having a lend of us!
Great story! My first thought when I read "offal" was that you were using it as a euphemism for poop. But you quickly dispelled that notion! You were serious - and you meant offal! I have to ask though - if the farmers are baiting for dingoes, are they poisoning the remains?

Ever since I was a little kid and my mom was breeding, I've felt that dogs are more intelligent than we usually give them credit for. It's not the same in every dog, either - some think differently - in part because of breed differences. And I'm sure sometimes mine just put me on a lower priority, just because they know I'll still be there when they are done with whatever! Of course, I work to counter that, but it creeps back in often enough! And, I want them to be able to think independently, too. They have to be able to figure out work situations on their own sometimes. For dogs whose job is a good game of flyball, that's less important, I'd think.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:36 PM

Thanks for the replies. Yes, Jazzie does know leave it and it works on nearly everything, with the exception of something really yummy she scrounges on a walk! She will even leave her brisket bone if asked, so I think it is something to do with the putrid smell. I'm sure that as she matures this will become less of a problem.
And as for the baiting question, any carcass in cattle country has to be treated with caution. Baits are meant to be secured in a place where crows and eagles can't reach it, and the poison used can't be systemic anyway. Also there is a legal requirement to place notices etc. Having said that, there is a lot of cases of poisoned carrion just being left as if natural.
Please don't ask what I think of the practice as I LIKE the Dingos, but do realise that they can be a big problem with stock.

Old 06-18-2018, 05:58 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,008,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazziesMum View Post
Thanks for the replies. Yes, Jazzie does know leave it and it works on nearly everything, with the exception of something really yummy she scrounges on a walk! She will even leave her brisket bone if asked, so I think it is something to do with the putrid smell. I'm sure that as she matures this will become less of a problem.
And as for the baiting question, any carcass in cattle country has to be treated with caution. Baits are meant to be secured in a place where crows and eagles can't reach it, and the poison used can't be systemic anyway. Also there is a legal requirement to place notices etc. Having said that, there is a lot of cases of poisoned carrion just being left as if natural.
Please don't ask what I think of the practice as I LIKE the Dingos, but do realise that they can be a big problem with stock.
I was afraid that there might be poisoning going from your description. And I'll bet that some of it is not done to regs. People are people, after all. If it were me, I would use an e-collar to reinforce the "leave it" for stuff like that offal. The consequences of a mistake are just too great. On the other hand, you may have already gotten the "leave it" to be strong enough w/o resorting to an e-collar! Only you can tell for sure!

On another topic - stock and dingoes - first thought pops into my mind is to wonder if they've tried livestock guardian dogs in Aus? They haven't been 100% successful here in the US, but they have been very successful in a lot of cases. Coyotes, wolves, feral dogs - the LGD stand guard!

Old 06-19-2018, 06:44 AM

723 posts, read 572,589 times
Dobermans are the BEST! Super smart and easy to train in my experience. You have your hands full with a 1-year old. LOL

Wish you and your pup all the best. Miss mine every day.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:35 PM

Jazz is going to her first doggie day care next week. The first visit involves the handlers assessing how she is with other dogs etc., and it will be an interesting report I get at the end of the day I bet. She should be fine as she is excitable but respectful with other dogs, no super rough play, just fast!

Yes, she is a handful! But I am enjoying the challenges, (mostly), and find that if I remember that she understands more than she lets on sometimes, things go much smoother. That super brain is looking for entertainment all the time so it keeps you on your toes. She is actually half Ridgeback, so there is a bit of the independent spirit there too. Looks and acts mostly Doberman though.

I have considered using an e-collar to really cement the recall, as I think if this is solid all other unwanted behaviours aren't a problem. Just call her in. At the moment I am seeing how she develops, giving her as much input into her adolescent brain as I can think of. It's funny, but she is actually showing me how to get the best results at every stage, and none of it is the same as with any dog I have ever had! Training must be fun and not too long, but if she is shown something once, it is in there ready for next time, and then you need to add something new! She is starting to work out what I mean when I ask her something totally different by looking at the situation, and making an educated guess, getting it right more often than not now too!

But then, you get that sideways naughtly look, and puppy mayhem breaks out!

Re: Guardian Dogs. More and more people living on hobby acreage are using them, mostly Maremas, but out here the huge areas involved make it impossible. Also, Dingos have been known to attack and kill domestic dogs. I think wolves do that too.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:39 PM

103 posts, read 72,143 times
Dobermans are very stubborn. They will test you to find out your breaking point. Dont cave lol or They will run the house. They are the best dog breed hands down. I have 2 and if i had a bigger house id have 2 more

Old 06-28-2018, 07:44 PM

Well, Jazzie has survived her first daycare session, and so did the daycare centre! Her report card listed her as high energy, but not extreme, and no aggression at all with other dogs, although inclined to be timid at first. (She was badly beaten up by an older dog when she was 4 months old and this has influenced her behaviour with new older dogs) They also found her affectionate and sweet, and obeyed commands well once she settled down, but ticked off the cheeky and playful options as well, no surprise there!
I give the thumbs up to the daycare option, much better than the off leash areas for good socialization. It has also proved that her training is not in vain and she is willing to obey others when required. Funny side effect is that she is looking to me for direction/approval so much more since, not sure why, but like it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs