Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2018, 10:13 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,161,427 times

Advertisements

We've had 10 month old Lola for 2 weeks and housebreaking is not going as well as expected. I've had dogs before and housebreaking was pretty easy. Lola can wait a good 8 hours in her kennel at night but during the day despite taking her outside every 3-4 hours, she still pees on the rug or floor about every other day. When I see her squat, I shout "no" and rush her outside, praising her when she finishes outside. She does not "tell" me when she has to go out. Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 04:40 AM

6,621 posts, read 6,555,978 times
Whoever had Lola before you obviously didn't work on toilet training.

Take her out every 1 or 2 hours through the day instead of 3-4.. Keep her WITH you at all times. Tether her to you if you have to so she can't sneak around a corner to "go". If there's a favorite rug or area she likes to pee on, either pick the rug up, keep the floor scrupulously clean with a product that eliminates pet odor, or avoid having her in that area altogether.

Her lack of previous training might take a while to undo, (like a few months or maybe even six) so just keep at it, be consistent and good luck.

Old 06-17-2018, 05:13 AM

34,114 posts, read 83,076,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
despite taking her outside every 3-4 hours
She does not "tell" me when she has to go out.

Suggestions?
Take her out more often... hourly should do.

Use the same door every time.
Add some other ritual to the process like sitting at the door first.

It won't take her too long to have you trained to read her signals.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Whoever had Lola before you obviously didn't work on toilet training.

Take her out every 1 or 2 hours through the day instead of 3-4.. Keep her WITH you at all times. Tether her to you if you have to so she can't sneak around a corner to "go". If there's a favorite rug or area she likes to pee on, either pick the rug up, keep the floor scrupulously clean with a product that eliminates pet odor, or avoid having her in that area altogether.

Her lack of previous training might take a while to undo, (like a few months or maybe even six) so just keep at it, be consistent and good luck.
I do take Lola out more like every 2 hours now, unless she is taking a (rare) long nap. She has picked different areas to pee on. Yesterday was the first time she also pooped on the rug--and just after she was outside.Tonight she raided the cat litter box just after one cat went and Lola spread it on the rug (at least she didn't eat all of it!)
I'll bet you're right that her previous owner did NOT bother to train Lola and maybe just let her do her business inside the house (I've known a couple people like that! Yuk!) A few months? Six months? Well, that tells me I just need to keep working on it and be patient; thought it would only take a couple weeks....good bye nice wood floors and oriental carpets.

Old 06-24-2018, 01:34 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,502,750 times
Roll up the rugs for now

Just keep taking her out. I would start with every hour. See how she does. Then slowly work back up.

Keep her with you while you are doing this. You can use the tether method or gates, whatever works. What you don't want at this stage is a puppy with free reign of the house

2 weeks is not a long time. She is still adjusting to her new home. I would give her a solid 3-6 months and I bet she will be as good as gold by then. I'm sure it will be faster but if you adjust your mindset to that then you will pleasantly surprised

She will get it, don't worry. Hang in there.

Old 06-24-2018, 04:14 PM

18,414 posts, read 19,051,059 times
Puppies are so cute we forget how much work they are. Double your efforts she will get it

Old 07-03-2018, 05:11 PM

Thank you all for your encouragement. I had to re-read these responses today because last night Lola peed on my bed! She had just been outside a short while before and I neglected to put her in her kennel immediately while I was in the bathroom. 10:30 at night I'm ready for bed and lying down and discovering my bed is soaked into the mattress is upsetting to say the least. Any ideas why a dog would pee on one's bed? It was my side of the bed, not my sig. other's (of course ;-) She's in her kennel right now as I type this.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:00 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,600,334 times
Are you giving her a jack pot of her favorite treats when you take her outside and she pees and or poops? Saying a command as she is doing it then right away telling her good girl as you give her a small jackpot of yummy treats might help her understand that outdoors is the correct place. My dogs will go on command because I did this and it makes it so much nicer when I am in a hurry to have them go on command. I assuming Lola has been checked out against a possible UTI as often that is a cause of lack of house training.

Old 07-04-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Are you giving her a jack pot of her favorite treats when you take her outside and she pees and or poops? Saying a command as she is doing it then right away telling her good girl as you give her a small jackpot of yummy treats might help her understand that outdoors is the correct place. My dogs will go on command because I did this and it makes it so much nicer when I am in a hurry to have them go on command. I assuming Lola has been checked out against a possible UTI as often that is a cause of lack of house training.
Lola's not as treat oriented as my past dogs but maybe I can still find one that she's crazy about. Right now she seems to go on command when out on leash. She can hold it all night while in her kennel so I doubt a UTI but it's a good idea anyhow to get her urine checked--thank you!

Old 07-04-2018, 11:27 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,600,334 times
Dazzle is not very treat motivated either as most treats he does not like and others he has to push around and sniff for awhile before he will eat them but what I did find something that worked great for him for a training treat ( and most of the dogs in our agility class would run up to see if they could have some of his treats as they could smell them) . I got a beef dog food roll Natural Balance makes them as does Red Barn they are actually used as dog food and come in different sizes so getting a small one to try and make sure a dog likes it will not cost much. You put the roll in the refrigerator then after it is cold cut some slices then cut the slices into small bite sized cubes put in a baggy and keep in the refrigerator so you have them ready when you need them. As you take her out to potty grab a small handful and when she does go she gets them right away and she should start thinking wow when I potty out here great things happen when I potty inside they do not.

For anyone reading this and looking for cheap training treats buying these rolls and doing this will cost a lot less then most bags of training treats as you get a lot more as long as you make them a small bite size. I think a 3-4 lb one costs about $12 and you will get months worth of treats as the cubes do not need to be very big. I have seen small bags of good training treats that cost more.

Had some young neighbors with a puppy and I would see them out there every morning for a good 30 minutes+ begging their puppy to potty so I gave them a baggy of the treats and told them what to do it took about a week for that puppy to potty right away which helped get them on tract with potty training. They had told me that sometimes they just did not have time so just had to leave her gated in the bathroom with puppy pads down and that was hindering the training.

I ask about the UTI because my good friend that is a guide dog for the blind puppy raiser had one lab puppy she just could not get housetrained. The puppy did not pee in her crate but shortly after being outside would pee in the house and my friend had raised them for many years so knows how to house train and it turns out the pup had a UTI after they got it cleared up she house trained fast.

Good luck we are crossing fingers and paws here for Lola!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs