Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 01:21 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
We have...same poster.

That was a few months back. DD had just moved in with the dog, which was, at the time, about 4-5 months old. She was not trained then, (nor is she now), and was creating a problem by piddling on the floor.

I was asking then for advice as how to keep the dog from ruining our new flooring, and did get some very good advice. Unfortunately, DD moves back and forth, BF to here and back again, and takes the dog with her. I haven't had a chance to implement any of the suggestions given, mainly because the dog isn't here for any length of time. I believe I mentioned then I was concerned about hot weather approaching, and we couldn't keep her outside during the heat of the day.

Now its hot weather, and DD is back with the dog! Perhaps I should have continued the previous thread, rather than starting a new one. Regardless, I'm now concerned not only about our new flooring (total cost ~$15000), but also about the dog's well-being.

To summarize my first post in this thread, I tried suggesting to DD she agree to some solutions, including

- dog training classes

- doggie diapers while the animal is inside

We have also cleared out a storage shed in the backyard, added a small A/C unit, and installed a doggie door, but that was just recently and the dog has not yet gotten used to using it.

When I presented the above suggestions, DD became angry, took the dog and left, vowing "never to return". It was then I thought the dog would be better off in our permanent custody, with consistency in her care, proper training, vet care, etc. Due to my daughter's unwillingness to do what's best for the animal, I'm seeking ways to remove the dog from her and keep it with us.

Hopefully, that brings everyone up-to-date.

Previous thread---

Why Does New Puppy "Leak"? 05/18/2018

Old 07-05-2018, 01:30 PM

1,201 posts, read 804,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
That was a few months back. DD had just moved in with the dog, which was, at the time, about 4-5 months old. She was not trained then, (nor is she now), and was creating a problem by piddling on the floor.

I was asking then for advice as how to keep the dog from ruining our new flooring, and did get some very good advice. Unfortunately, DD moves back and forth, BF to here and back again, and takes the dog with her. I haven't had a chance to implement any of the suggestions given, mainly because the dog isn't here for any length of time. I believe I mentioned then I was concerned about hot weather approaching, and we couldn't keep her outside during the heat of the day.

Now its hot weather, and DD is back with the dog! Perhaps I should have continued the previous thread, rather than starting a new one. Regardless, I'm now concerned not only about our new flooring (total cost ~$15000), but also about the dog's well-being.

To summarize my first post in this thread, I tried suggesting to DD she agree to some solutions, including

- dog training classes

- doggie diapers while the animal is inside

We have also cleared out a storage shed in the backyard, added a small A/C unit, and installed a doggie door, but that was just recently and the dog has not yet gotten used to using it.

When I presented the above suggestions, DD became angry, took the dog and left, vowing "never to return". It was then I thought the dog would be better off in our permanent custody, with consistency in her care, proper training, vet care, etc. Due to my daughter's unwillingness to do what's best for the animal, I'm seeking ways to remove the dog from her and keep it with us.

Hopefully, that brings everyone up-to-date.

Previous thread---

Why Does New Puppy "Leak"? 05/18/2018
For someone initially not interested in having a dog, you have really gone above and beyond to try and make this work out for the dog. I don't understand how your daughter could be anything but immensely grateful that you have gone so far as to create an air-conditioned dog house for the dog!

Old 07-05-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
For someone initially not interested in having a dog, you have really gone above and beyond to try and make this work out for the dog. I don't understand how your daughter could be anything but immensely grateful that you have gone so far as to create an air-conditioned dog house for the dog!

Ok, I believe this thread has run its course.

Yes, I've had two similar threads in the past few months. Its about an on-going issue, so, naturally, the story will evolve. Essentially, we've tried our best to be decent and do right by the animal, without causing expensive damage to our home. Thanks for the suggestions, and lets just leave it at that.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:55 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times
How is the dog today?

Old 07-10-2018, 04:36 PM

UPDATE---

We now have official custody of the dog.

Much good advice given here. I decided to go with the advice of NETWIT and Pets and garden---to buy the dog or barter for her. We offered DD a new laptop in exchange for the dog, she agreed. We went to the vet for round two of her shots, at that time DD signed something to the effect that she gives us legal ownership. Also, we got her a microchip and county license tag in OUR name. Without the license, if the dog is lost and taken up by Animal Control, it has at a maximum 3 days before put down. With the license, well, they give more time about 7-10 days. Many strays without a license are immediately put down due to lack of space.

Now she's ours! DD can visit whenever she wants, and we are currently all going to Puppy Kindergarten. The first class started last week, and it addresses many issues, including house training, walk on leash, etc, etc. The little girl is growing fast! We plan to have her spayed soon. Meanwhile she's enjoying her backyard, her AC doggie house, and still trying to make friends with three elderly cats! DD is now staying with BF again. At least if she needs to move again she won't have the added problem of taking a dog with her.

Thanks again for all the suggestions

Old 07-10-2018, 05:11 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Quote:
UPDATE---

We now have official custody of the dog.

Much good advice given here. I decided to go with the advice of NETWIT and Pets and garden---to buy the dog or barter for her. We offered DD a new laptop in exchange for the dog, she agreed. We went to the vet for round two of her shots, at that time DD signed something to the effect that she gives us legal ownership. Also, we got her a microchip and county license tag in OUR name. Without the license, if the dog is lost and taken up by Animal Control, it has at a maximum 3 days before put down. With the license, well, they give more time about 7-10 days. Many strays without a license are immediately put down due to lack of space.

Now she's ours! DD can visit whenever she wants, and we are currently all going to Puppy Kindergarten. The first class started last week, and it addresses many issues, including house training, walk on leash, etc, etc. The little girl is growing fast! We plan to have her spayed soon. Meanwhile she's enjoying her backyard, her AC doggie house, and still trying to make friends with three elderly cats! DD is now staying with BF again. At least if she needs to move again she won't have the added problem of taking a dog with her.

Thanks again for all the suggestions
So happy for you! Congratulations on your new family member!

Old 07-10-2018, 06:07 PM

919 posts, read 609,757 times
Quote:

Also, as she left and took the dog, who was trotting dutifully alongside her, I reached down to pet her goodbye. I was crying at that point. DD told the dog "don't go to her, she's bad!" Poor dog looked back at me all confused, but knows who her master is, as most dogs do.
Up until I read the above sentence I was going to advise not to do anything to alienate your daughter but if that's her attitude then if it were I, the gloves would come off & I'd do what was necessary to keep the pup.

I'd be finding out exactly what 'drugs' your daughter takes. My parents are religious freaks & against just about anything that's fun. I've self-medicated with cannabis since I was 15yo. After I was arrested by police for possession of a hash pipe, unbeknownst to me, my mother ran around telling anyone with ears that I was a 'drug-addict'. Thanks to her my name was mud amongst the oldies in my neighbourhood. When I heard this years later I lost whatever respect that I had left for my parents.
If your daughter smokes weed it's not a big deal. If she's using heroin or meth/speed that is a huge deal.

Last year I brought home a Rotti pup who turned out to have chronic PICA & severe behavioural issues. He only peed in the house thrice before he learnt to let me know he wanted to go toilet (rather than running to the back door & alerting me like every other dog I've owned, he'd sit at my feet & stare at me, lol) Like all my other dogs he quickly learned to pee on command.
One needs to be vigilant & watch a pup like a hawk for just a few days before a dog learns not to toilet inside. Most of my pups learnt inside a day. Even then, be vigilant for the 3 days to reinforce the training.
Take pup outside every 3 hours (when a little 10wo they need taking out every 2 hours) upon awakening, after play & after a meal. When the dog pees outside use a word that she will relate to toilet (I use the word 'pi$$') & praise her. When she sniffs for a spot to pee inside, pick her up just as she squats to pee & repeat the word 'no' several times as you take her outside. Put her on the lawn & say 'pi$$'. When she pees tell her 'good girl'.

I wouldn't be too concerned about alienating your daughter at this point as it sounds like she has a lot of growing up to do.
Good luck.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:08 PM

919 posts, read 609,757 times
Oops, should've read last page before posting.
Congrats.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:23 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,914,949 times
There ya go.

So glad it worked out.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:31 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,060,634 times
That is great news!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs