Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 07:48 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,062,004 times

Advertisements

Has this ever happened to you, and what did you do?

We have a new dog from foster. We’ve had him almost 2 weeks and he’s fit in seamlessly. He’s a very sweet and well behaved dachshund who, except for marking in the house the first day we had him, has never had an accident in the house. He and our first dachshund are friends, and have no issues, except they are a little jealous of when the other one is in my lap.

As my title says, in the middle of the night, I woke up and smelled something and saw that he had pooped on the bed. I’m horrified, and worried that it could happen again.

Here is the hope I’m clinging to........yesterday, I gave both dogs their flea and heart worm medicine, and it was new medicine for the new dog. Could this possibly have anything to do with this off schedule poop? I should add that it was a regular firm poop, not loose.

We don’t plan on doing anything different (both dogs sleep with us) unless it happens again. Then I guess we would just make him sleep on the floor in his bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 08:44 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,918,615 times
Wondering if it's a physical thing. Like, can the dog get up and down easily from the bed top, especially in the dark and being new. Shorter legs and all...maybe your bed's high? Maybe he's not sure what's on the floor if he jumps down. And there's the longer back thing. And then where would he go?

Wonder what he did at his other home(s)...if he barked to be let out or had night time pads to go on,say in a bathroom. He may just not know what to do in your home and may have to have a version of training in that regard.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
Wondering if it's a physical thing. Like, can the dog get up and down easily from the bed top, especially in the dark and being new. Shorter legs and all...maybe your bed's high? Maybe he's not sure what's on the floor if he jumps down. And there's the longer back thing. And then where would he go?

Wonder what he did at his other home(s)...if he barked to be let out or had night time pads to go on,say in a bathroom. He may just not know what to do in your home and may have to have a version of training in that regard.
Yes, those things could be a factor. He cannot get off the bed by himself, so maybe if he could have, he would have. I am not a believer in peepee pads, because it’s not ok to go in the house, and he’s 5, not a puppy.

Both dogs are on the same, low output dog food, and they go once or twice a day. The dog in question had pooped in the afternoon. The only variable yesterday was the medicine.

Old 07-14-2018, 09:23 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,918,615 times
Just brainstorming. I'd factor in that two weeks can be a turning point for the new one. He's comfortable in some regards and ready to figure things out in other ways. Perhaps hesitant to wake you? to cross paths with the other dog?

Yes, he may have a reaction to the medicine. Was he worried afterwards...maybe just as little as sensing something different? smelling something different on himself.

We have bed steps that work out great...regular upholstered ones with wood sides that matched our bed and are now great pet steps, being nice and solid. Our dogs have grown to lower medium size so I don't know how they would work with long back/shorter legs.

Let us know how it goes.

Old 07-14-2018, 09:36 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,278,699 times
He's marking!!

Old 07-14-2018, 10:58 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,511,683 times
If he can't get off the bed himself at night I would pursue that first. As others mentioned bed steps are extremely helpful. Mine doesn't like steps and prefers a ramp, so it can be individual preference you may have to experiment with.

As an aside, my vet told me small dogs shouldn't be jumping off furniture anyway. The new mattresses they are making are really high.
Jumping off is worse than on. It's hard on their joints, but even worse; their spine.

My 11 yr old beagle was limping and vet thought it was a pulled knee ligament but not bad enough for surgery and that it would heal. It did heal but happened again a few months later and he now thinks he may be showing signs of IVDD (Intervertebral disc disease). I didn't know anything about this and didn't know beagles were at risk. After research I see many breeds are, particularly dachshunds. It may be a good idea to invest in some steps or a ramp anyway even if this isn't the cause for accidents. I WISH I knew about this so I am passing on if you want to do some research. My beagle puppy is using the ramps as it's all he knows.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:34 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times
Crate at night.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:53 AM

Thanks for all the input. We are going on the hope that it was just a bathroom emergency and that it won’t happen again. Also, before we went to bed, I tried to take him out, but he didn’t seem to want to. I’ll insist from now on.

Old 07-14-2018, 05:39 PM

23,346 posts, read 18,916,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Thanks for all the input. We are going on the hope that it was just a bathroom emergency and that it won’t happen again. Also, before we went to bed, I tried to take him out, but he didn’t seem to want to. I’ll insist from now on.
One time probably means nothing but bad "timing". A pattern is different.

Old 07-14-2018, 09:30 PM

2,068 posts, read 1,000,896 times
Time for new dog to become an outside dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs