Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 11:26 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times

Advertisements

My dogs are 50 lbs dogs and I go for turkey drum sticks and necks instead of chicken as it takes them longer to chew on them and with chicken I think the one dog was breaking them in half then swallowing them so they could become a choking hazard .With the turkey she chews for quite a while so more teeth cleaning going on too. If my dogs were small I would use chicken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 04:40 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,440,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
Please don't jump into raw willy nilly. This website has some great info:
A Starter Guide – Raw Fed Dogs

Also, Karen Becker has a very good book. Updated version coming soon.
https://www.amazon.com/Beckers-Real-...dp_ob_title_bk

Thank you for the info., I will research this. No, regarding my dogs, I don’t jump into anything.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:51 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,421,534 times
I’ve read that a dog can be healthy on a vegan diet as long as all nutrients are provided.

A cat cannot. Cats are obligate carnivores and cannot produce taurine, which is why they require at least fish, I think.

Apparently there’s a difference between obligate carnivores and species that are carnivorous because it’s the easiest or most obvious route for them.

I don’t think a wolf is going to make beans and rice.

I’m no expert but I had to do some research on this for a paper a few years ago.

So, that’s all I’ll add to this thread.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:53 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,440,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Are you going to tolerate her feeding them inappropriately? Whoever she fosters though would likely be against that.
Well, she’s an adult, and on this topic it’s like talking to a retaining wall. When she first got this dog and told me he would eat vegan, I shared my doubts regarding doing that. Then after her dog outlived mine, I thought maybe she was onto something, although my dog had CHF and was treated for it, and the vet told me I did all I could do.

I only learned recently the extent of her dog’s problems, when he continued to rapidly deteriorate. We now live far from her, and over the past several years, they left their dog behind with a sitter when they visited, so I hadn’t seen him, but could hear him on the phone.

I’m hoping she will be too busy for another dog.

Thank you, everyone, for your feedback.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:01 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,421,534 times
I think the term for canines is “scavenging carnivores”.

They don’t need meat to survive. I think you’d really have to work at that, and definitely make the dogs food yourself.

Giant pandas are scientifically classified as carnivores; they eat only leaves.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:14 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
Well, she’s an adult, and on this topic it’s like talking to a retaining wall. When she first got this dog and told me he would eat vegan, I shared my doubts regarding doing that. Then after her dog outlived mine, I thought maybe she was onto something, although my dog had CHF and was treated for it, and the vet told me I did all I could do.

I only learned recently the extent of her dog’s problems, when he continued to rapidly deteriorate. We now live far from her, and over the past several years, they left their dog behind with a sitter when they visited, so I hadn’t seen him, but could hear him on the phone.

I’m hoping she will be too busy for another dog.

Thank you, everyone, for your feedback.
Gotcha. Good luck with trying out raw feeding for yours.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:01 AM

12 posts, read 10,305 times
Quote:
My daughter and I both adopted mixed breed dogs in November 2008. Both dogs were estimated to be 1-2 years old at time of adoption. They were adopted from different rescue organizations in different towns.

My sweet girl passed in August of last year from congestive heart failure. She was always a healthy, active dog but a slight heart murmur was detected in early 2016. We followed vet’s recommendation for canine cardiac medication and she did well but then deteriorated very rapidly starting last June, and it was over within 6 weeks.

My daughters’s dog was always very snappish and bit me, her, her husband and others. He became very sickly for the last 5 years of his life. He had grand mal seizures, bladder stones that required surgical intervention, skin issues. He also required patella surgery, and back and neck issues that caused him a lot of pain. In the end, he couldn’t walk and was crying in pain, was bloated and had bloody diarrhea. He had to take a huge regimen of medications. They put him down on July 4th.

My daughter is vegan. She became vegetarian in her last year of high school and vegan some time in college. She fed her dog a 100% vegan diet. The food was expensive, and, I imagine from the cost, high end.

I have always wondered if at least some of her dog’s health problems were diet-related. I know that dogs are omnivores, but I have read that cats are true carnivores and that they will die if fed a vegan diet. So, I can’t help but wonder.

I don’t intend to discuss this with my daughter, and this post isn’t intended to spark any controversy regarding veganism, but I have been curious about this since her dog had so many medical problems, and behavioral issues as well.

I’m just wondering if anyone reading here feeds their dog a vegan diet and how that is working out. No dog owners that I know personally do this, so I have no one else to ask.
The short answer is, “It depends.” Read on to learn about the nutrients dogs need, how vegan diets work, and whether or not a vegan diet is a safe choice for your dog.

According to veterinarian and former president of the U.S. Humane Society Dr. Michael Fox, there are two main reasons people elect to feed their dogs a vegan diet:

Personal ethics (the human’s)
Food allergies (the dog’s).
Dogs with food allergies are typically sensitive to specific animal proteins, and eliminating processed animal products from their diet can help so long as the replacement diet is carefully formulated to provide essential nutrients.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:24 AM

919 posts, read 609,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Potatoes are no better for dogs than rice. And there is not even any evidence that sweet potatoes are better than other potatoes for humans. These are fads. For dog food, it seemed to come about with the grain free movement, but a cheap enough substitute for rice had to be found and marketed.
Read what I wrote Jen. My comment was about humans, not dogs.

Sweet potato's are very healthy for HUMANS but I'm not sure if they contain the same broad spectrum of nutrients as regular spuds or if they're just high in a few.

Yes, pet food producers will use any marketing ploy to sell their product. The grain free kibble is quite expensive & very profitable for them.
I agree with my vet who considers kibble as 'junk food for dogs'.

My dogs get fed a raw diet with very small amounts of table scraps.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:00 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
I KNEW I"D FIND IT! https://www.care2.com/greenliving/ve...189-years.html

Old 07-20-2018, 01:40 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
This is off-topic from my own thread, but I’ve been looking into doing more raw for my surviving dog, a young Dobie mix, but I wondered about raw chicken legs. Do you give them to your dog whole, bones and all? I always thought that poultry bones were dangerous for dogs, yet I watched a Youtube video where a styrofoam tray of about 10 raw chicken drumsticks were put down on the ground for a large, male Doberman, and he ate them that way.

I guess I could google, but would rather hear from those who do this. Again, the dog owners that I currently know don’t feed whole, raw chicken parts.
Cooked poultry bones are dangerous, raw ones are not. All of my pets are raw-fed. They do not currently get whole parts, but I have fed them in the past. Look up "prey model raw." The basics are pretty simple: 80% muscle meats, 10% bones, and 10% organs, evenly split between liver and other organs, like brains, pancreas, spleen, etc. Please note that heart is muscle.

I would absolutely not even consider feeding any dog or cat a vegan diet. It's not healthy for a dog and will straight-up kill a cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs