Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 05:46 PM

1,201 posts, read 804,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I am so looking forward to the arrival of this puppy, but after googling “puppy blues” I’m starting to get a little bit nervous. I feel like one of my patients that comes in for surgery having googled and YouTubed the surgery ahead of time, which is something I do not recommend. LOL.
Puppy blues - just when I’d heard it all! Sounds like a simple case of buyer’s remorse by people who didn’t think it through very well or educate themselves on the needs of a puppy. This doesn’t seem to be the case with you. I have never had regrets and with my pups, as with my children, I stop an issue before it gets to the point of me being fed up. I don’t lose sleep because I do not allow a puppy to whine and cry at night for days. I put a stop to it. I don’t leave the puppies unwatched and give them an opportunity to eliminate in the house or destroy personal belongings. I don’t allow a puppy to keep biting me “because it’s a puppy.” I’ve never had a puppy have more than 4-5 accidents in the house and those have mainly been piddle accidents when I let them play a little too long without running them. I’ve never had anything of value destroyed, save a couple inches of fringe chewed accidentally on a rug. I here all these tales of puppy chaos, screaming in the crate, crying all night, destroying furniture, etc., and I can’t relate in any way. I’ve never had that experience. Also, your breeder should be an invaluable line of support for any issues you are having. You should be able to call them anytime for the life of the dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 06:52 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
I am so looking forward to the arrival of this puppy, but after googling “puppy blues” I’m starting to get a little bit nervous. I feel like one of my patients that comes in for surgery having googled and YouTubed the surgery ahead of time, which is something I do not recommend. LOL.

Feeling that as well, like I am standing on the edge of the abyss. This isn't my first dog, this isn't my first youngin, so why am I so anxious?

A few possibilities. Regret over all the time before I didn't spend with my kittens, all the time I didn't spend with my dog. I am shifting considerable time and energy to be available for the dog and I have my doubts if I can keep to that commitment, if I can be that organized, and if I can really turn my back on my time wasting addictions to focus on the puppy.

I should be able to, I have been a very committed pet parent before, am one now, but doubts about the confidence over human frailty goes hand in hand.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:10 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,509,749 times
Quote:
It's a very common thing to be nervous. So common in fact, I can't understand why it's not talked about more. I hope I didn't scare you. Don't worry, Amazon has a really good return policy if needed (Just kidding!) Seriously, getting nervous actually helped me prepare. By reading what others went through I was then able to appreciate the things that were going well for me.

Everyone wants others to enjoy their time with a new puppy. By getting mentally prepared you hopefully won't get bogged down if things aren't going perfect or how you expected. I read that sentiment over and over on those posts....So many said I WISH someone told me about this. Not to scare anyone, but hopefully to pay it forward a bit as I was at least aware.

Time goes so fast when they get here. I would hate to see anyone spend that valuable time being frustrated more than they need to. It DOES happen at times and it's not always predictable. Also, the biggest understatement is how fast they grow. You'll want to enjoy every minute of that. Honestly, a month after they arrive they look like a different puppy. Take plenty of pics, video and have backups. A positive way to think about all this is like a new adventure. As we all know with the best ones we have, we couldn't predict what would happen.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
Puppy blues - just when I’d heard it all! Sounds like a simple case of buyer’s remorse by people who didn’t think it through very well or educate themselves on the needs of a puppy. This doesn’t seem to be the case with you. I have never had regrets and with my pups, as with my children, I stop an issue before it gets to the point of me being fed up. I don’t lose sleep because I do not allow a puppy to whine and cry at night for days. I put a stop to it. I don’t leave the puppies unwatched and give them an opportunity to eliminate in the house or destroy personal belongings. I don’t allow a puppy to keep biting me “because it’s a puppy.” I’ve never had a puppy have more than 4-5 accidents in the house and those have mainly been piddle accidents when I let them play a little too long without running them. I’ve never had anything of value destroyed, save a couple inches of fringe chewed accidentally on a rug. I here all these tales of puppy chaos, screaming in the crate, crying all night, destroying furniture, etc., and I can’t relate in any way. I’ve never had that experience. Also, your breeder should be an invaluable line of support for any issues you are having. You should be able to call them anytime for the life of the dog.
It doesn't sound like you read about it at all if you think that. Not everyone is "perfect". No wonder people don't talk about this. Funny you brought up breeders as I read many interesting posts from them too. I am not going to get OT but this breeder is an example. Offers many good tips to a new owner too so may be of value here to OP and anyone planning for a puppy.

(excerpt)

I've owned dozens of Goldens over my lifetime, I show dogs, I train dogs, I breed dogs, and I can tell you that as recently as three years ago I was right where you are now. I had this adorable little puppy who was destroying my life. She bit everything, including me. Chewed up everything. Peed and pooped everywhere. Wouldn't listen. Was a wild animal. Had to be watched constantly. Ruined my days. I couldn't do anything else but run around frantically after this hell beast all day long. I was at wits end. I didn't know what to do. I was in tears. She was a monster, and there was nothing I could do to cope.

I was NOT a first time puppy buyer. I had had lots of puppies. I had recently finished showing my earlier puppy to his championship. I had trained all my dogs, and they were all wonderful. This puppy was dog #4 in the house, and I had years and years of experience. And yet, THIS puppy had me ready to leave and never come back again. It was her or me!!!!

So here's how I solved some of the problems:
Limit the puppy's space. Very important! Too much space is one of the biggest causes of puppy catastrophe.
Adjust my expectations. Very important! I just had to realize that I had a little demon puppy here, and she's a beautiful soul, and she's just an infant, none of this is her fault, I am asking an infant animal to live in a human world, and I had to treat her as the infant she was, not the dog I wanted her to be.
Make a schedule for her, and stick to it. Dogs thrive on routine.
Train a little bit several times a day. Make a game out of it. Use only positive training techniques.
Exercise! The puppy needs enough exercise. Mostly, puppies eat and sleep and poop, but in between, they need to run around and expend energy.
Crate train. Very important. The crate is a safe space, not a punishment, and it's a place where the puppy learns to be calm (and to allow me to be calm).
Get help and suggestions from others.
Understand that I'm not alone, that this happens, and that it will be over soon. Indeed, that puppy time is over all too soon. Learn to cherish the time with the puppy.
None of this is the puppy's fault! My emotions and my frustrations are my own problems, not the puppy's. The puppy is just being a puppy, and trying to grow up in an alien environment. I had to realize that I needed to let her do that, and for me to be the human adult and adjust my own behavior and reactions.

That puppy from hell grew up to be a wonderful companion, fabulous show dog, loving pet, and doting mother. She's pregnant right now, in fact, and I can't wait to get home to her. I laugh about it now, but back then I was at my wit's end. The only thing that kept me going was knowing that I would get through it and it would get better as she grew. And I wasn't a novice dog owner, but someone with a lot of experience!

https://www.goldenretrieverforum.com...ppy-blues.html

Old 08-15-2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Feeling that as well, like I am standing on the edge of the abyss. This isn't my first dog, this isn't my first youngin, so why am I so anxious?

A few possibilities. Regret over all the time before I didn't spend with my kittens, all the time I didn't spend with my dog. I am shifting considerable time and energy to be available for the dog and I have my doubts if I can keep to that commitment, if I can be that organized, and if I can really turn my back on my time wasting addictions to focus on the puppy.

I should be able to, I have been a very committed pet parent before, am one now, but doubts about the confidence over human frailty goes hand in hand.
I felt like that too at times. Strange isn't it? This isn't OP's first dog either. 7 rescue dogs over the years for me and this is my third beagle. Only second puppy as an adult. Just take some time to get mentally prepared as best you can. I think it's an important part of all this that's going to be different for everyone.

Old 08-16-2018, 04:09 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
I know it will be fine, just a little nervous, which I think is natural. The trainer is just a phone call away, my three kids are all old enough to chip in, and the fence is being installed soon for times we dont want to go out for a walk.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
It doesn't sound like you read about it at all if you think that. Not everyone is "perfect". No wonder people don't talk about this. Funny you brought up breeders as I read many interesting posts from them too. I am not going to get OT but this breeder is an example. Offers many good tips to a new owner too so may be of value here to OP and anyone planning for a puppy.

(excerpt)

I've owned dozens of Goldens over my lifetime, I show dogs, I train dogs, I breed dogs, and I can tell you that as recently as three years ago I was right where you are now. I had this adorable little puppy who was destroying my life. She bit everything, including me. Chewed up everything. Peed and pooped everywhere. Wouldn't listen. Was a wild animal. Had to be watched constantly. Ruined my days. I couldn't do anything else but run around frantically after this hell beast all day long. I was at wits end. I didn't know what to do. I was in tears. She was a monster, and there was nothing I could do to cope.

I was NOT a first time puppy buyer. I had had lots of puppies. I had recently finished showing my earlier puppy to his championship. I had trained all my dogs, and they were all wonderful. This puppy was dog #4 in the house, and I had years and years of experience. And yet, THIS puppy had me ready to leave and never come back again. It was her or me!!!!

Reminds me of Mom's dog for as an older dog now in an apartment, it was pee and poop everywhere. It was accepted because of who she was, of who I was, that we had been friends for years. You know what the difference between dogs and cats when it comes to poop is? Dogs leave it out for you to find it but Cats will hide it. When I moved and the lifted up the coffee table, we found the Cats' secret poop cave.

And it reminds me of Gizzy who is still with me. When Mom's dog moved in, he became very territorial, started spraying again, which is something he does to this day....so I guess I should be ready for that when the puppy arrives.

Anyhow, at first, from me, it was "GIZZY! DON'T YOU DARE!" but my older brother pointed out that this was part of living with an older cat. You know, he was right. So now it is, "Oh, Gizzy! Must you?".

Cowgirl mentality? Bellydancer in the country? Witch in the woods.....if a Halliwell one ("What's mine is your's What's is your's is mine")?

I don't know but it is a shift in the mental outlook to find peace and answers.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
I know it will be fine, just a little nervous, which I think is natural. The trainer is just a phone call away, my three kids are all old enough to chip in, and the fence is being installed soon for times we dont want to go out for a walk.
You are really planning well with the fence. This will make your life SO much easier. Everyone is different and I always give people credit who can walk their dogs multiple times a day regardless of weather. I have had a fence for so many years I personally couldn't do it without one. I know my limitations and live in an area with 4 seasons and I detest cold weather. It's SO nice when it's cold out or pouring rain to only have to open that door.

I just want to add that I have made it to 8 months (of course it's not over with the chewing!) with nothing chewed up but a comb and a cheap dog bed. Others mentioned that possibility too with the bed. I even made the mistake of giving my pup a bit too much freedom at first. No injuries to pup either which is a worry. Of course I was almost hypervigilant when watching him. I won't sugarcoat it; that caused my biggest stress in a nut shell. My neighbor that needed the kitchen cabinetry replacement is a SAHM and didn't even leave her pup alone long. Hopefully these tips will help you prevent all that with some planning. It's great the kids will help too.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
You are really planning well with the fence. This will make your life SO much easier. Everyone is different and I always give people credit who can walk their dogs multiple times a day regardless of weather. I have had a fence for so many years I personally couldn't do it without one. I know my limitations and live in an area with 4 seasons and I detest cold weather. It's SO nice when it's cold out or pouring rain to only have to open that door.

Mom's chihuahua's answer to that was to poop and pee outside on the covered porch.

As it is for me, a fenced area, either right off the back porch or a wider containment area is plausible but with scorpions and cactus, at least, outside the house's cement footprint, I think it is better to bite the bullet and enjoy my Texas weather (one of the things I taught myself back in the 90s, during a rain storm, when I thought I was going to be a game warden "Well, if you are going to be a game warden, you better love being out in the weather").

Old 08-16-2018, 09:04 AM

1,201 posts, read 804,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Reminds me of Mom's dog for as an older dog now in an apartment, it was pee and poop everywhere. It was accepted because of who she was, of who I was, that we had been friends for years. You know what the difference between dogs and cats when it comes to poop is? Dogs leave it out for you to find it but Cats will hide it. When I moved and the lifted up the coffee table, we found the Cats' secret poop cave.

And it reminds me of Gizzy who is still with me. When Mom's dog moved in, he became very territorial, started spraying again, which is something he does to this day....so I guess I should be ready for that when the puppy arrives.

Anyhow, at first, from me, it was "GIZZY! DON'T YOU DARE!" but my older brother pointed out that this was part of living with an older cat. You know, he was right. So now it is, "Oh, Gizzy! Must you?".

Cowgirl mentality? Bellydancer in the country? Witch in the woods.....if a Halliwell one ("What's mine is your's What's is your's is mine")?

I don't know but it is a shift in the mental outlook to find peace and answers.
OMG! That is disgusting! So nasty. I guess it is much easier than training your animals not to go in the out, but YUCK! No, there will NEVER be a mental shift for me where I find it acceptable for animals to eliminate in my home. I can't even imagine the smell walking into that house. Blech!

Last edited by OttoR; 08-16-2018 at 09:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs