Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 11:34 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times

Advertisements

And that is why we recomend that pet owners spay before the first heat. The average pet owner doesn't seem to be able to manage a heat cycle. The females can be difficult to control while they are in season.

No telling what mix the pups will be. She's out and traveling the neighborhood and might be bred by several males.

This is no fault of the OP. His dog was confined in his yard. My only warning on the subject is that if the female could get into the yard, it's possible that the male could get out, if he is motivated eough. Although huskies, as a generalization, can be very difficult to confine.

Old 10-02-2018, 12:02 PM

19,779 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
And that is why we recomend that pet owners spay before the first heat. The average pet owner doesn't seem to be able to manage a heat cycle. The females can be difficult to control while they are in season.

No telling what mix the pups will be. She's out and traveling the neighborhood and might be bred by several males.

This is no fault of the OP. His dog was confined in his yard. My only warning on the subject is that if the female could get into the yard, it's possible that the male could get out, if he is motivated eough. Although huskies, as a generalization, can be very difficult to confine.
In 5-6 years he's escaped twice, once because the line was down and the alarm didn't work, the second when his collar ran dry and I forgot to replace the battery. My females never.

And the female dog was 20ft from our front door, so she was definitely roaming. I would suspect as well that she has been bred multiple times if she's allowed to roam like that. The coyotes have been going bonkers for the past 3 nights and were unusually close. That'll drive them nuts too.

I expected some of this on the board and frankly not surprised.

Edit- so the dog is not my suspected neighbors, but they saw her last night as well. They’re pretty sure the dogs ‘owner’ lives a mile up the hill from us. There’s A LOT of dogs between here and there.

Last edited by Threerun; 10-02-2018 at 12:32 PM..

Old 10-02-2018, 12:05 PM

255 posts, read 168,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
In 5-6 years he's escaped twice, once because the line was down and the alarm didn't work, the second when his collar ran dry and I forgot to replace the battery. My females never.

And the female dog was 20ft from our front door, so she was definitely roaming. I would suspect as well that she has been bred multiple times if she's allowed to roam like that. The coyotes have been going bonkers for the past 3 nights and were unusually close. That'll drive them nuts too.

I expected some of this on the board and frankly not surprised.

Old 10-02-2018, 12:33 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,928 times
Quote:
Umm- my dogs don't leave my property, and my male is uncut because he's a stud. The irresponsible party is the one that let their dog out to roam while in heat. When my female is heat- she doesn't leave the leash and my male gets kenneled in a far room.

Wow- what an unbelievable thing to say.

Ok, you’re not the dogs owner. I still hope for the dogs sake, you’ll talk to the owners about the morning after pill to prevent another litter. It would be the decent thing to do.

Old 10-02-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Ok, you’re not the dogs owner. I still hope for the dogs sake, you’ll talk to the owners about the morning after pill to prevent another litter. It would be the decent thing to do.
Right now no one knows the dogs owner. I suspect if she’s roaming again she will come calling, at which point I can look at her tags. It’s suspected she lives a mile up the hill.

What’s not right is I now have to restrain my dog on a check cord in the yard until the coast is clear.

Somehow I’m sure that too will be construed as some ‘evil doing’ on my part.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:24 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Umm- my dogs don't leave my property, and my male is uncut because he's a stud. The irresponsible party is the one that let their dog out to roam while in heat. When my female is heat- she doesn't leave the leash and my male gets kenneled in a far room.

Wow- what an unbelievable thing to say.
I dunno...do you have a fence?

Part of being a responsible pet owner is also preventing other animals from getting to them. What if she wasn't a female in heat but was rabid or carried some other disease?

Old 10-02-2018, 05:33 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
hummm don't believe your Stud Was under control... My Studs wouldn't go near a female in heat with out my ok. They have sat right beside female in Full Bloody Heat not moved an inch... with me across the ring & out of sight. Yet you can not call him 20 feet from you? sheesh

Old 10-02-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I dunno...do you have a fence?

Part of being a responsible pet owner is also preventing other animals from getting to them. What if she wasn't a female in heat but was rabid or carried some other disease?
When I lived in WV we had a huge problem with rabies. I owned acreage and was raising 2 kids that loved to play in the woods and streams. That's why I rescued a Blue Tick coon hound and brought her home. She was loyal and a great defender. I was in the lower part of the property when a fox bolted out from the woods at 2-3pm while I was practicing with my bow. If Old Blue hadn't rolled that fox I would not have time to shoot it, and it was coming for me.

That's why I owned Blue- she was a protector, not just a pet. She had a job, and we loved her like a part of the family. She had her rabies shots, was quarantined at home for 2 weeks and all was well. The fox was picked up that day (a Sunday) and tested positive for rabies. I used that moment as a teaching example with my kids why we should NEVER go out in the woods without Blue.

There's an old post in here on that from years ago.

Also- I do have a containment fence, and no I'm simply not responsible for keeping other animals 'out'. We have lots of wildlife, and I rather enjoy them frequenting my property. Plus it would cost a BLOODY fortune to erect a fence around 10 acres (or even 1/2 of that) designed to keep any dog in let alone a GSP. Plus- I've never seen any fence keep a racoon, bobcat, coyotes or bears out. If they want in- they will get in. Ask my neighbor who has had cougars and coyotes in his cattle pens.

My dogs are hunting dogs- they encounter porcupines, coyotes and God forbid rattlesnakes, cougars and bears- you name it. That's an occupational hazard folks like us deal with in the country we live in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
hummm don't believe your Stud Was under control... My Studs wouldn't go near a female in heat with out my ok. They have sat right beside female in Full Bloody Heat not moved an inch... with me across the ring & out of sight. Yet you can not call him 20 feet from you? sheesh
1. Midnight- they’re out for a last potty break.
2. I don’t and won’t babysit my dogs on 10 acres in the country. They are outside while I’m inside A LOT.

These responses are classic- blame the person who didn't do anything wrong other than have his dogs on his property.

Last edited by Threerun; 10-02-2018 at 06:39 PM..

Old 10-02-2018, 06:15 PM

255 posts, read 168,905 times
Quote:
I do have a containment fence, and no I'm not responsible for keeping other animals 'out'. We have lots of wildlife, and I rather enjoy them frequenting my property. Plus it was cost a BLOODY fortune to erect a fence around 10 acres (or even 1/2 of that) designed to keep any dog in let alone a GSP. Plus- I've never seen any fence keep a racoon, bobcat, coyotes or bears out. If they want in- they will get in. Ask my neighbor who has had cougars and coyotes in his cattle pens.

My dogs are hunting dogs- they encounter porcupines, coyotes and God forbid rattlesnakes, cougars and bears- you name it. That's an occupational hazard folks like us deal with in the country we live in.

1. Midnight- they’re out for a last potty break.
2. I don’t and won’t babysit my dogs on 10 acres in the country. They are outside while I’m inside A LOT.

These responses are classic- blame the person who didn't do anything wrong other than have his dogs on his property.
But you did do something wrong - you allowed your dog to mate unintentionally. While the bulk of the blame is on the roaming dog's owner, you also share in the fault for not properly managing your (unfortunately) intact dog. Like I said it my first comment, TWO irresponsible owners and as another person said, that's nothing to "LOL" about.

Old 10-02-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBZB View Post
But you did do something wrong - you allowed your dog to mate unintentionally. While the bulk of the blame is on the roaming dog's owner, you also share in the fault for not properly managing your (unfortunately) intact dog. Like I said it my first comment, TWO irresponsible owners and as another person said, that's nothing to "LOL" about.
Yeah no sorry you are just flat wrong. We can agree to disagree and that's all I'm gonna say about that.

Maybe you should develop a puppy chastity belt or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs