Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 07:07 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,050 times

Advertisements

I'm the one that found him as a stray. I give him treats. I take him out to the dog park regularly. I even let him sleep on the bed with us.

My husband, on the other hand, is harsh on him. He yells at the dog when he does something wrong. He never takes him out to the park. He disciplines him.

In other words, I give him carrot and my husband holds the stick. Whenever my husband yells at him for, say, chewing on something he's not suppose to, he would run to me and hide behind me. So, he knows I'm soft on him.

And yet, the dog always goes to my husband. We would be watching a movie and the dog would cuddle up with my husband instead of me even though I just fed him left-over turkey.

I'm not jealous. Just wondering why the dog loves my husband more?

We are watching LOTR. It was my idea to put sheets on the couches so the dog could go on them.

Attached Thumbnails
Your guess as to why our dog loves my husband more-20181129_200027.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 07:24 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,968,766 times
Husband is Alpha.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:26 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,050 times
^ Haha I'm pretty sure I'm the Alpha around here.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:26 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
I'm guessing that your dog is trying to gain his love an acceptance at the same level that he gets from you. He's just working *that* much harder at it. lol

Old 11-29-2018, 07:29 PM

13,929 posts, read 39,306,840 times
Abused kids & Animal Always listen more to the abuser.... YOU need to be a bit Firmer. Hubby needs to Back Off!

Old 11-29-2018, 07:34 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,968,766 times
dog does not agree that you are Alpha

Old 11-29-2018, 07:49 PM

255 posts, read 168,962 times
Because dogs feel secure and relaxed with strong leaders. They don't like weak - that makes them anxious and insecure, unless they are dominant, in which case it can make them aggressive. This is the same reason the owners get upset when I dog sit their dog for a few days and when they return, it is bonded to ME and looks to me for guidance. They are always a little hurt by this and can't understand why their dog seems to prefer me.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:08 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,000,975 times
I'm not going to go to that "Alpha" stuff, which I am convinced is stuff and nonsense. What I will tell you is this - some dogs are "one-person" types. Now, I've got a lifetime of knowing dogs, and I never used to put much faith in the "one person" dog concept. Dogs can refocus affections from one person to another, given time. But working with my current dogs, and talking to others who own similar dogs, I've come to realize the "one-person" trait is real. For instance, a breeder of my acquaintance - her primary male listens to her husband. She can tell him what to do, but if her husband is there, the dog will look to the husband for approval to go ahead and follow her commands.

Mine listen to me, and do the reverse - they won't listen to my wife or son. It's not an "Alpha" thing - it IS a cooperative mechanism - an instinct to work with a person. And in some breeds and dogs, that is ONE person. And often dogs PICK their people - and there is probably instinct at work at some level of that.

Obviously, you don't see it in all dogs. But we can find enough examples in the news - like the village dog who saved a girl's life by pushing her out of the way of a motorcycle, and lost his jaw in the process. He just picked the girl. Or the dog who picked a small group of endurance cyclists in a race across Costa Rica. Or the dog who picked an endurance runner in the Himalayas or somewhere back of beyond. These were all village-type dogs - your basic dog, no breed. So you see the instinct to pick a human is there.

I think it's possible that your dog's instinct kicked in and he picked your hubby, for better or worse. Maybe that's not the case, I'm only guessing based on your post! But, since the whole alpha thing has been scientifically debunked, and since my experience with dogs has shown me that the "one-person" instinct does exist, and that sometimes some dogs do pick their people? I'm going with the "picked".

And, btw, it's not a love thing, or maybe it is. You know how it is with people - we don't always pick who we should, right? Who we end up loving is often beyond any common sense or reasoning.

I would suggest you work with the dog mentally as well - training sessions - agility - fetch - something. That should enhance your bond more than feeding and walking.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:59 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,510,160 times
If the dog is a shepherd mix (not sure from pic), shepherds are known to bond to one person. I know my GSD was that way.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:30 PM

273 posts, read 102,546 times
Smell. Think about the smell!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs