Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 08:26 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Why the cynical part of me thinks it is staged... I still tear up at the thought.
I agree. They were paired for just five months. I suspect he was told to "stay" and "lay" and being a good boi, Sully did as instructed. It is a sweet photo though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 02:14 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I agree. They were paired for just five months. I suspect he was told to "stay" and "lay" and being a good boi, Sully did as instructed. It is a sweet photo though.

So? Despite the attempt to present "staged" as a pejorative (gee, I wonder why), service dogs are supposed to be well-trained.

And the fact that he'd only had the dog for five months (not counting the training period that all service dogs and their prospective owners go through) is of no significance whatsoever. Those dogs are trained to obey and be of loyal service to their new owners from day one.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:53 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
So? Despite the attempt to present "staged" as a pejorative (gee, I wonder why), service dogs are supposed to be well-trained.
[/i]

Nope.

As an amateur photographer I know it is common to stage something to tell a story.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-05-2018, 05:02 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Perhaps we could say "posed" rather than "staged".

The photo still tells a story, does it not?

Old 12-05-2018, 05:17 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

I'm good with posed too. Oh yeah, it was very effective, I teared up despite my opinion, and I'm not saying there isn't a very good chance the poor pup is mourning the absence of his charge.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-06-2018, 06:56 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Of course service dogs are well trained.

My point is that while I love this photo - it is posed and it doesn't give me as many warm fuzzies as a natural photo would. I still feel warm fuzzies (I do for any and every dog photo) just not as strongly.

Kinda like wedding photos - Bride and groom posing for photos can be beautiful but catch them having a private moment together with natural smiles and love in their eyes - heart melting.

Can you explain why you inserted "gee, I wonder why" in your comment? I'm curious as to what spurred the sarcasm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

Absolutely.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:27 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
https://www.bing.com/search?q=pres+b...8f80556db5de34

Seems Sully was Trained at Prison in Maryland. Pres Bush only had him a year. Now being given a refresher coure.... then suppose to go to Walter Reed.

Old 12-21-2018, 12:25 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Why the cynical part of me thinks it is staged... I still tear up at the thought.
It wasn't staged. Dogs do that kind of thing a lot.

I'm not real sure it's always grief.

Dogs are hard-wired genetically to crave human companionship, but not all dogs form really tight bonds with only one person. As pack animals, dogs tend to be happiest when everyone in their pack is happy. If their human pack is a big family, the dog may have a favorite person, but can be just as happy living with someone else.

On the other hand, when only one person is the dog's pack, such as an old person who lives alone with a dog, or a disabled person whose service dog is with them day and night, I think they will grieve when that person dies.

They don't grieve long, though, I'm sure; dogs have an entirely different sense of time than ours, and live much more in the moment than humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs