Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 09:33 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
........ the dog will be living indoors with us and only going outside for play, potty, fresh air, etc.

What most of us call a house dog, or house pet. Indoor/outdoor sounds like something else, like maybe the dog is kenneled outside while people are at school or work, and then allowed in the house in the evening and possibly back to the kennel to sleep.

When you are shopping, a reputable hobby breeder might reject you for announcing you want an indoor/outdoor dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Dachshund. Best dogs ever.

I adore dachshunds. They think they are tough and durable but in reality, they have fragile backs. Dachshund owners take a few reasonable precautions to guard against back injuries.

While it isn't much of a bother to take a little extra back care, I don't know how suitable a dachshund is to a family with 4 kids, 2 of them special needs, and one that can't get up and walk. It depends on the kids and how much supervision the dog kid interaction will have.

But yes. Smallish, easy care coat, easy to train, tough but affectionate personality. Usually not good with other small animals due to strong hunting instinct.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:59 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,448,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
What most of us call a house dog, or house pet. Indoor/outdoor sounds like something else, like maybe the dog is kenneled outside while people are at school or work, and then allowed in the house in the evening and possibly back to the kennel to sleep.

When you are shopping, a reputable hobby breeder might reject you for announcing you want an indoor/outdoor dog.
At this point I feel like I need to be punished in some fashion.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:19 AM

10,358 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
At this point I feel like I need to be punished in some fashion.
Bad Tyryztoll! Bad, BAD Tyryztoll! *whacks with newspaper*

There! Now you've been punished!

Seriously, though, just remember that when you talk to a shelter, rescue, or breeder, tell them you want a house dog, because you do intend for the dig to live in the house with your family. You don't want to inadvertently give them the idea that the dog is going to be living on a chain in your back yard, neglected and unhappy. (And because a lot of people DO think it's perfectly fine to keep a dog that way, those folks with dogs needing homes will be on the lookout for any signs that that's how the potential new owner intends to keep the dog.)

Old 01-18-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Bad Tyryztoll! Bad, BAD Tyryztoll! *whacks with newspaper*

There! Now you've been punished!

Seriously, though, just remember that when you talk to a shelter, rescue, or breeder, tell them you want a house dog, because you do intend for the dig to live in the house with your family. You don't want to inadvertently give them the idea that the dog is going to be living on a chain in your back yard, neglected and unhappy. (And because a lot of people DO think it's perfectly fine to keep a dog that way, those folks with dogs needing homes will be on the lookout for any signs that that's how the potential new owner intends to keep the dog.)
So noted. Thank you. *whimper whimper*

Old 01-18-2019, 05:38 PM

199 posts, read 158,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
As far as rescues go, I'll add another possibility to the list: a rescue Greyhound. They have laid-back, gentle personalities (much like Dashdog's Silken Windhound) and good Greyhound rescues are fairly easy to find. They're large enough to not be intimidated by a rowdy little kid, and are sturdier than they look. And the ones I've known weren't horrific shedders. The biggest downside is that some Greyhounds have enough prey drive that they can't be trusted around cats or other small animals (but that's not an issue in a one-pet home).

As several people have said, it's the personality of the individual dog (rather than its breed) which is going to matter most.
I was looking for this answer before I replied. I've never owned a greyhound personally, but have an uncle who worked at a greyhound track for years and rescued more than one, and they were always such sweet dogs. Any time I've encountered them at the dog park, my kids have been over the moon for them and I had no concerns about their interactions. For dogs whose job it is to be fast, they are mellow and gentle in my experience.

We have a chihuahua/terrier mix now. 8 pounds of crazy. Adorable and loves being a lap dog, but also gets the zoomies regularly. At just under a year old she's going through her bitey teen phase and can jump higher than my waist, so that's not a dog I'd recommend for kids with special needs.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:17 PM

Are there any folks out there who think we SHOULDN'T get a dog given our situation? I really would like to hear all sides if anyone is indeed of that opinion.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:36 PM

4,699 posts, read 3,279,325 times
Take all of your kids with you to your local dog shelter and let the dog pick your family. It’s about the dog not necessarily the breed. My pound puppy (lab/st.bernard) the best dog in the world!!!

Old 01-19-2019, 05:10 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,606,242 times
Quote:
Are there any folks out there who think we SHOULDN'T get a dog given our situation? I really would like to hear all sides if anyone is indeed of that opinion.
I couldn't really say, but if I were a breeder of a puppy that you wanted to buy for your family, I'd want to know: how much time do you and your wife have to give the puppy? Do you know that some puppies are chewing fiends for months and can you and your kids deal with sharp puppy nips on hands and feet? Will you take the puppy to obedience class or hire a trainer? How much time will you have to socialize the puppy to different sights, sounds and people? How do your children react to dogs? Will they be excited, hyper, want to play with the puppy all the time, or will they become nervous when the dog tries to pull their hair or chew their shoelaces; or have they met neighbors' dogs and know to be calm with them? Did you and/or your wife have dogs when you were children or teenagers? Most of these questions can also apply to dogs from shelters/rescue.

What I haven't seen in your posts is an indication of how you and your family will handle and care for and deal with the pup or dog that you hope to bring in to your lives, other than having a fenced yard for he/she to play with; or an indication that you understand that puppies and older dogs can have issues and need lots of time and effort and that you have the time and patience to do so. (don't rely on the older kids to do even half of that).

If I've missed a post where you covered these concerns, I'm sorry. You seem to be a very thoughtful person; and I hope that you do get a nice puppy or dog who will become a beloved family companion.

Old 01-19-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:

Dogs are great for kids as long as the family is prepared and willing to do the extra supervision and training. You are doing your research so I would expect you to be a good dog family.

By this time, you know that you need extra time to train the dog and you need to teach the kids how to handle the dog and the kid/ dog interaction has to be supervised. The flip side is that the dog will entertain and play with the kids. Dogs give motivation to get out and walk in the fresh air.

Your oldest kids are old enough to maybe get involved in dog sports, if that appeals to them. The 4-H program has a really good dog program and the 4-H kids learn to train and show. I had a 4-H kid that I allowed to show my Scottish Deerhound occasionally and he did some really good winning with her, and I see 4-H kids competing in obedience and agility.

Your local show dog club is very likely deeply involved with the 4-H dog group, providing support and information. Once a year, my show club would show up at the final test with about 20 breeds of dogs to parade around and part of the test was for the kids to identify each breed.

Dogs give an opening to make new friends. Dog owners meet people while out walking, or at the dog park, or at dog sporting events. Its a chance for your kids to learn how to be social and how to properly and politely deal with strangers.

As for the special needs kids, let me relate a story. A dear friend in a wheel chair has told me that when she is out and about, most people try to pretend that they can't see her because they don't know how to react to her. But if she is out with her service dog, most people will smile, many will speak to her, and she is included in society. Dogs are good for special needs kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs