Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 08:30 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,069,965 times

Advertisements

My family and I are looking to adopt a dog. We're working with a rescue group, and it's a pretty intensive process: an online application, phone interview, home visit, vet referral, and obviously we have to meet the pet. It feels like I'm applying to a competitive college! As an added bonus, there can be many applications for one dog and others can languish in foster care for months. The dog we're applying for falls into the first category...

Is it better to apply for multiple dogs and then rescind applications when we're matched? Or apply for one dog at a time through a single rescue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 08:58 AM

34,102 posts, read 83,042,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
We're working with a rescue group, and it's a pretty intensive process...
Tell them to take their intensive screening and approval process and pound sand.
These groups and the people with too much time on their hands running them don't help their cause a bit.
- - -

I've never been an advocate of breeders and pedigrees but...
if you know the sort of dog you want look for one of the cull pups.

The added advantage is you can delay the neutering until they've matured some.
Too many 'rescue' dogs are neutered far far too young.
Don't accept ANY pup that has already been neutered.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
What's a cull pup?

Old 01-23-2019, 09:37 AM

34,102 posts, read 83,042,686 times
Quote:
What's a cull pup?
The less than perfect breed specimens...

Old 01-23-2019, 09:49 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,977,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Tell them to take their intensive screening and approval process and pound sand.
These groups and the people with too much time on their hands running them don't help their cause a bit.
- - -

The added advantage is you can delay the neutering until they've matured some.
Too many 'rescue' dogs are neutered far far too young.
Don't accept ANY pup that has already been neutered.
Yep. Those rescue groups put their ego before the welfare of the dogs. They claim it's in the dog's best interest but if that were true, they would place them faster rather then have them languish for months or years in foster homes or kennels while they retain their ridiculous requirements for people to adopt their dogs. It's easier to adopt a child than a dog. Ironically, their rejections and overly difficult approval process leads families to do exactly what rescue groups say they don't want: buy from breeders. After being rejected a few times for silly reasons, I bought all my Great Danes from breeders. Both of the dogs I now have are seniors and very spoiled couch potatoes.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:50 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,278,699 times
After several years in animal rescue, I applaud the group you're working with and can only wish more would be like this. It's a life, a living creature and they are only wanting to ensure the best match. I witnessed on a few times of bad matches only to have the pet believe they were going to their forever home, just to be sent back.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:57 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,039,853 times
Quote:
My family and I are looking to adopt a dog. We're working with a rescue group, and it's a pretty intensive process: an online application, phone interview, home visit, vet referral, and obviously we have to meet the pet. It feels like I'm applying to a competitive college! As an added bonus, there can be many applications for one dog and others can languish in foster care for months. The dog we're applying for falls into the first category...

Is it better to apply for multiple dogs and then rescind applications when we're matched? Or apply for one dog at a time through a single rescue?

Have you tried looking at your local Humane Society? It's been awhile...but I don't think they're as strict.

Also, just curious, does the rescue group you're working with specialize in one particular breed? For instance, a group my friend works with rescues Bichon Frise and dogs that are part Bichon Frise. She's told me a little about their adoption process, and it's a bit intensive. Not sure if it's as intensive as what you're dealing with, but yeah...there's some hoops to jump through.

One more thought...Maybe you can wait until a store like Petco or Pass Pets has an adoption event? That's how we got one of our dogs from a rescue group. And the adoption process was no big deal at all. She's no kind of special at all, breed wise. But she's fun and funny and sweet, and we love her. lol

Old 01-23-2019, 10:37 AM

454 posts, read 495,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
After several years in animal rescue, I applaud the group you're working with and can only wish more would be like this. It's a life, a living creature and they are only wanting to ensure the best match. I witnessed on a few times of bad matches only to have the pet believe they were going to their forever home, just to be sent back.

This... 1000x this

The rescue I work with does this, too. It's not long, it's not invasive but it ensures that people are really ready to take on that dog or cat. These are usually discarded pets that have had to have training, vetting, socializing to get them back to an adoptable state. Why people think a foster that has cared so much for a pet should just give it away to the first person that asks with no process is beyond me...

Old 01-23-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Agreed. That's why I'm going through a rescue. But there seem to be many more wonderful, qualified potential adopters than there are available dogs. I'm not telling my children about the dog we're applying for because I don't want them to be disappointed if the rescue decides on another family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Have you tried looking at your local Humane Society? It's been awhile...but I don't think they're as strict.

Also, just curious, does the rescue group you're working with specialize in one particular breed? For instance, a group my friend works with rescues Bichon Frise and dogs that are part Bichon Frise. She's told me a little about their adoption process, and it's a bit intensive. Not sure if it's as intensive as what you're dealing with, but yeah...there's some hoops to jump through.

One more thought...Maybe you can wait until a store like Petco or Pass Pets has an adoption event? That's how we got one of our dogs from a rescue group. And the adoption process was no big deal at all. She's no kind of special at all, breed wise. But she's fun and funny and sweet, and we love her. lol
I don't mind the strictness; I completely understand the rationale for it. It's a 15-year commitment to the health and well-being of a living creature. My kids have been lobbying for a dog for years and it finally feels like the right time to go for it... I just wish I didn't have to fight through a crowd to do it. And yes, we're definitely going to the adoption events to meet the dogs; only approved adopters can finalize adoptions at the events.

I filled out an app for another breed-specific rescue. We'll see how this goes...

Old 01-23-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Bulldogs View Post
This... 1000x this

The rescue I work with does this, too. It's not long, it's not invasive but it ensures that people are really ready to take on that dog or cat. These are usually discarded pets that have had to have training, vetting, socializing to get them back to an adoptable state. Why people think a foster that has cared so much for a pet should just give it away to the first person that asks with no process is beyond me...
I have a senior cat that was a rescue, and he is the best. My kids and I volunteer at a local rescue in the cat room, and it's sad - it looks like a lot of discarded pets. One of the sweetest cats in the room had been a house pet. She lost an eye and part of her tail to a street fight before being rescued.

I don't have a problem with rescues or their process; my original question asked if it was better to work with two or three rescues at the same time or just stick to one and hope I'm matched to a dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs