Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 05:36 PM

19,859 posts, read 12,147,585 times

Advertisements

Some rescue groups can be maddening however not all rescues have the same methods. I have fostered for two breed-specific rescues and they were a bit more intense than the local rescue that I have worked with for the past four years.

The way we do it is people fill out an application only once. If the dog they choose is already adopted or is not a good match they just have to email us when they are interested in another dog and we will match the application. We do ask the usual questions, including contact info for their vet (we do call), groomer and a personal reference contact info. To be honest, I don’t think we call the personal reference on a regular basis. We do verify residence and if the person is renting we contact the owner to confirm they have permission to add a pet.

Now, what we do differently is our process is very quick and we don’t leave people waiting days or weeks to find out if they are approved. Usually they are approved within 24 hours or less. We don’t do home visits unless the adoption takes place in the owner’s home but, as mentioned before, they do verify ownership via the county and look at the property on google earth.

Just because someone is approved does not mean that they are automatically guaranteed the dog they apply for. If there are any huge flags or a total mismatch for the dog they want the application team will suggest more appropriate dogs for their situation. Most always, the applicant will have a chance to talk to the foster mom unless it is an absolute mismatch in the eyes of the application team. After communicating with the application team and settling on one or two dogs, the application is forwarded to the foster mom who then calls the applicant. We encourage foster moms to call within 24 hours, preferably less, but definitely not more than 48 hours after receiving the application.

After speaking with the applicant and determining if it is a likely match, the foster mom will set up a meet with the potential family. As long as the foster mom is comfortable with the adopter, the dog can be adopted immediately at the meet. The entire process from submitting an application to adoption could be as short as one day and rarely is over a week.

We have people that come back for months or years later for a second dog or even a third dog from us. One of my current foster mom’s adopted a dog from us five years ago and returned last year to start fostering. She adopted the first dog she fostered and then the third dog she fostered. We are joking that she needs to just foster and stop adopting them.

Adoption should be fun but the responsibility is to be taken seriously as it is a lifetime commitment. Obviously, life deals us blows sometimes and we always will take back one of our dogs if it doesn’t work out. I will note that this Rescue has been around for over a decade and is 100% transparent in accounting. The ladies who started the rescue have been involved heavily and Rescue for over 30 years so the policies are formed from decades of experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 06:02 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,973,754 times
Probably depends on the rescue organiztion you are dealing with. We got our dog from Rescue Dogs Rock NYC. A friend of mine had gotten a rescue dog puppy from them a couple of months earlier and had recommended them to me. They had a website with pictures and descriptions of many dogs that turned over fairly quickly. We had previously applied for a dog we saw on a morning TV show and they never even responded. Rescue Dogs Rock NYC responded quickly by email. From the website we picked one of a litter of healthy chihuaha / mini pinscher mix puppies, the only female in the litter. (Her pregnant chihuahua mother had been found on the street and brought to the rescue in Texas.) We had to fill out an application, with two references plus our vet. They contacted all of them. Then they did a virtual skype visit of our home and yard. Finally we got an at home inspection of our home and yard. We were told there were a few applicants for the puppy but we were selected. We paid a $400 fee, $125 of which was paid back to our vet as partial payment for spaying the puppy at 6 months. We signed a contract stating if we didn't want the puppy for any reason in the future we would return it to Rescue Dogs Rock. The van with our puppy and several dozen more puppies in crates lining two walls of the van made a 36 hour trip from Texas to New England, dropping dogs off at intervals along the route. We met the van at a rest stop on the NJ Turnpike at 5AM, along with several other people waiting for their dogs. The puppy was just two months old and they gave us a folder with her info. We took the puppy home and have had her for 11 months now. She recently had her first birthday. It was worth it all. She weighs 8 lbs and is alternately a ball of playful energy and a couch cuddler. This is our fourth dog in 40+ years. The first we got free from a neighbor. Two were purchased from pet shops, this one was our first rescue.

Last edited by bobspez; 01-23-2019 at 06:19 PM..

Old 01-23-2019, 06:29 PM

3,606 posts, read 9,072,174 times
My first 3 dogs had been from shelters, they were all great but we pretty much showed up and picked a dog, paid a fee and left with the pup. My last pair was from a rescue that required a home visit and all that. We have a dog fur covered house, but no fenced yard, good neighborhood but I was still nervous about the visit. The director pretty much laughed it off, came in, saw we were a jackpot of a match and chatted for a few minutes.

I appreciate rescues that put in the extra effort to find the right situation. If you are looking for a specific breed by all means put in multiple applications. I generally like hearding breeds but have found myself with a hound this time around and he is one of the best dogs I have ever had. So don't lock yourself into a specific breed, look for the right fit for your family.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:37 PM

5,098 posts, read 12,604,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I remember when you got Chaos from the Irving Shelter. That’s a great shelter as far as care and cleanliness, and being really flexible with adopters. But it is a high kill shelter and my rescue group pulls dogs from that shelter all the time. Glad she’s doing well!
The Irving shelter sure gets a lot of nice looking dogs. When I adopted Chaos seven years ago there were quite few dogs on their adoption page I would have taken had I been able too. Very different then what one found in our local shelter at that time. When people tell me they are looking for a dog but not liking what they see I tell them check the shelters in Texas of course most look at me like I am crazy. Love my Texas dog!

Old 01-24-2019, 04:29 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,261,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
After several years in animal rescue, I applaud the group you're working with and can only wish more would be like this. It's a life, a living creature and they are only wanting to ensure the best match. I witnessed on a few times of bad matches only to have the pet believe they were going to their forever home, just to be sent back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Bulldogs View Post
This... 1000x this

The rescue I work with does this, too. It's not long, it's not invasive but it ensures that people are really ready to take on that dog or cat. These are usually discarded pets that have had to have training, vetting, socializing to get them back to an adoptable state. Why people think a foster that has cared so much for a pet should just give it away to the first person that asks with no process is beyond me...
Agree with both. I have worked with a local Malamute rescue group and they are careful with who they place a Malamute with and it is for the best of the dog; which relates to the best for the person.
I’m sure there are some rescues that operate differently, but to condemn them all is ludicrous!

Old 01-24-2019, 11:54 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,514,775 times
Some of the posters here are taking the issue way too seriously and beyond what the OP asked. No one is condemning anyone. I used to volunteer with rescue and don't have a problem with constructive criticism. That is what all reputable rescues should welcome.

OP, I understand the time constraints but I would apply to multiple rescues to find the right dog if that is what it takes. The problem I see is the build up and possible obligation to a dog that might not be right for you. It sounds like both parties will have much time invested before you even get to meet the dog. I would be prepared to say "no" even if it is hard once you meet the dog if you don't feel it is a good fit.

Trust me, the rescues make you fill out these long forms not just to find the right person but to protect themselves too. Please remember this is a two way street and they are lucky to find good adopters like you. You have a right to be selective where their policies are concerned.

I read about a situation on a local Facebook page regarding an adoption with a no kill shelter I have donated to. Within 48 hours of adoption a lady complained online (after contacting them) that the dog attempted to attack her husband. She wanted to send the dog back obviously and they would not refund her. They pointed out that she stated on her adoption application that if there were any problems with the dog she would seek training. That's what they suggested when the dog went after the lady's husband. As you can imagine the adopter pretty much lost it and said "No way". The shelter only took dog back after much complaining. They didn't refund her due to that "training" question she answered. All of this was hashed out online and the shelter got a lot of bad publicity. People even suggested they call the police if they try to re-adopt this dog. It's really sad as this shelter is good in other ways but they had it coming with the way they handled this and never denied the specifics that were posted online. It had 500+ likes so I know they were aware.

Relaying this is in no way to sound like anyone should be against rescue. I understand the application process. Just a reminder that this is a "buyer beware" situation too and you have a right to be happy with whatever dog you choose.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:30 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,258,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
I have a senior cat that was a rescue, and he is the best. My kids and I volunteer at a local rescue in the cat room, and it's sad - it looks like a lot of discarded pets. One of the sweetest cats in the room had been a house pet. She lost an eye and part of her tail to a street fight before being rescued.

I don't have a problem with rescues or their process; my original question asked if it was better to work with two or three rescues at the same time or just stick to one and hope I'm matched to a dog.
I'd work with a few if you are able....the first one that finds you a good pet go for it.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:15 PM

454 posts, read 496,474 times
Definitely don't limit yourself to a single place if you don't have to. Most of the rescues I've worked with keep you on file for at least 6 months so you don't have to go through the entire process again if you don't mesh with the first dog you meet.

Old 01-29-2019, 05:02 PM

199 posts, read 159,205 times
There's a reason rescues are so particular: they ended up with those dogs because people are used to just buying an animal and dumping it when it gets hard to manage - which is typically the owner's fault. Often the rescue volunteers drive several hundred miles to rescue dogs from high-kill shelters. Of course they want what's best for those poor dogs!

When we were looking for a rescue dog, I filled out applications at all the local rescues without specifying a dog. That way I was approved when I found the right one. I didn't have to have a home visit because the one we ended up going through didn't require it, but I would definitely do that if needed.

Rescues are trying to find the best *permanent* home for a dog, and, likewise, match the right dog to each prospective adopter. I applaud their efforts and the time they put into animal welfare.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:56 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,595,514 times
Last spring I came across a senior dog that I really wanted to adopt who happened to be with a rescue like this. They would not even let me meet the dog unless I applied to adopt. Something about this dog called me so after some deliberation I applied. The process took 2 weeks. I was frustrated, worried, nervous and yes somewhat annoyed by the process.

They checked multiple references, vet references and then they came for a home check, all before I got to meet the dog. Then finally they brought the dog to meet me and my dog and then one more visit to make it final.

It was nuts.

When he came to me he came with a file full of information on his past and his needs. He came neutered, vaccinated for everything, and microchiped. He also came with a brand new Seresto collar. He was given to me with food that he as used to, treats, and 3 months worth of his joint support for his bad hip. None of this is cheap. Because he is a senior his adoption fee was much lower than for their other pets. If I didn't already have one for him they would have given me a crate for him to use. They brought with him his own bed, leash, harness and collar.

Because he is a senior they have him in a special program that provides him with all if his basic veterinary care for life. And they will handle his eventual end of life needs as well.

Now I've had my boy for 6 months. He's awesome and I am so glad I went through with it. Since the the rescue group has stood by and been very supportive. They have checked in at his 1, 3 and 6 months to see if he was doing well and if I needed any assistance with anything.

Totally worth the hassle.

Re: the original question. do what feels right to you. If you feel good about a rescue work with them. Nothing wrong with working with more than one. I was lucky in that I just knew that a certain dog was supposed to come to me. What group he was with didn't really register until after I had decided on him. In fact given what I know now I might have avoided the rescue if I was shopping for an animal in the logical order, simply because there are much easier places to adopt from. But I wanted this specific dog so I had to take the group he came with. Again. I am very happy with the outcome.

Last edited by shadowfax; 01-30-2019 at 11:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs