Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 12:02 AM

313 posts, read 270,738 times

Advertisements

Our Boston's breeder used these. They come in different sizes
.https://www.chewy.com/frisco-indoor-...iABEgLTIfD_BwE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2020, 07:22 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,141,790 times
These are some interesting ideas. My dog is midsized some might even say largish. I would never want the fastidiousness required when having a dog pee inside regularly. You would really need to keep a close eye on it and be always ready for clean-up. I’m impressed by those who can do it.

That 20x30 grasslike pad and tray above is pretty cool for a tiny dog. I could see that on a balcony for middle of the night use.

Thanks for all the ideas!

Old 07-02-2020, 10:21 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,337,621 times
Well there is always Belly bands for boys & Diapers for girls

But really both you and the dog will be more comfortable training him/her to a place inside. You get to sleep dog wont have to stress about waking you up or trying to hold it!

Old 07-09-2020, 01:21 AM

12,789 posts, read 15,021,124 times
GOOD THREAD! OP, tell me what you think about this: When I had my Boston Terrier, which was about 15/16 pounds at most, we had a big, rectangular cardboard box (w/ tall sides) right outside the back door in the garage lined w/ some layers of newspapers that one of my parents or myself would literally carry him to go & we lived in a 2-story house. We'd just take him every few hrs. (We never had any grass either.)

We kind of trained him from an early age to know the word BATHROOM, so when we said it, he went. We didn't wrap up & throw out the top layer of newspaper every single time though because it didn't get dirty that fast & wasn't really stinky. When I moved to my 2nd floor apt, I put a cardboard box out on my outdoor patio balcony & did the same method.

Would I do this method again w/ a future dog? Maybe, but I'd love to see other suggestions too.

Anything I'd do differently? I'd try to train from day 1 to ring a bell so they could let you know when they have to go but I don't know how easy that kind of training would be. They've sold these for a long time now that you hang from the doorknob:

https://www.amazon.com/CandyHome-Doo.../dp/B01DDIV18K

Old 07-18-2020, 11:10 PM

137 posts, read 121,045 times
Hi. So there are companies that actually will ship you pre-measured sod (Real grass) to place in a tray in an area for them to go...my friend has it for her bulldog and she leaves her balcony door propped open for her dog to go in and out. The price is reasonable in my opinion, but my dogs wouldn’t use it. You can set how often you want it shipped based on how much it gets used.

I’m not sure how old your dog is because ours are used to going on concrete or dirt, but not grass. Where we live we don’t have grass in the backyard so when we travel and take them to a place with grass they get all weirdo and it takes forever to try to even get them to go. Usually they will hold it and when I give up and walk them to the door, they’ll do their business right outside on the patio instead. If yours is used to grass, then this would be an easy transition.

Previous to the dogs we have now, we did use a potty patch for the dogs....well, tried it. I spent a few hundred dollars buying the whole setup and hated it. First off, it’s synthetic and no matter what they say, it does smell. It’s very hard to get rid of the odor and even spraying regularly and cleaning, it absorbs into the material. Now this was about 8-10 years ago so they may have improved the materials.

Amazon also sells reusable/washable pads used mainly for breeders when puppy training but they are fabulous. I thought I’d get grossed out by it but it is cleaner than washing cloth diapers and I was shocked at the quality of them. We used them during whelping four puppies and it was a lifesaver in the box. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs