Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 10:58 AM

1,579 posts, read 953,365 times

Advertisements

I am trying to figure out reasons my dog doesn't want to go on walks anymore.

I have a 5 year old mixed Sheltie/Jack Russel/bunch of other stuff rescue. I've had her for four years and she used to LOVE going for long walks. We were a good match for each other because I liked the exercise and she needed it. Lots of it!

Now, I know it's hotter now, but we've been walking early in the morning, when the temperature is still in the 70s and this dislike of walking seemed to start back in April when it was cooler. It's just to the point where when I get up in the morning and put my shoes on, she runs to her kennel in an attempt to not go. I have to call her several times and she comes out, head tucked down like she's done something wrong.

Once I get her leash on and we are out the door, she's okay. She walks nicely at my side, no limp, no distress that I can notice, her body language is relaxed. She sniffs, she marks, she meets her doggie friends if they are out. She prefers the halfway point of our walk, the two mile mark, because that's when we turn around. Then she might pull very slightly towards home.

I've taken her for shorter walks lately because I am swimming laps again now, but even the short 1 mile walks seems to be something she isn't eager to do.

She does have one leg slightly shorter than the other, a back leg. The vet thinks she may have broken it on a growth plate when she was a puppy (before I had her so I am not sure). But I've played around with it and the opposite leg, there is no pain that I can tell. In the house she still loves to play fetch, jump on the windowsill to watch and bark at passing dogs, she still gets the zoomies.

Before I take her to the vet and pay $300 and get her all stressed out only to find out they can't find anything, does anyone have any ideas why she might not want to go for walks anymore? Something behavioral? Pain is the only thing I can think of, but I am just not seeing it.

Last edited by WalkingLiberty1919D; 07-23-2020 at 11:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2020, 11:20 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,376,852 times
It sounds like you've been doing the right things, in terms of looking for pain and thinking it through. I think it's possible that she has arthritis and she can mask it for most activities but doesn't feel like walking at the outset (but then exercise helps arthritis hurt less so she may improve as the walk continues). X-rays will reveal arthritis (as you probably know).

If it's not pain, then maybe something spooked her in connection with the departure-from-walks routine, so she's scare of that. (It does not have to have been objectively scary for this to be the case.) Maybe you could play with her for a while in the house (or in a yard if you have one), then clip a leash on her and try departing for the walk through your gate or through the back door of the house. If that seems to help, then maybe it was something in the departure routine that hurt or frightened her once (and once it all it takes for some dogs / events).

Old 07-23-2020, 11:37 AM

44 posts, read 34,379 times
Change the vet. This one took a lot of money without finding out anything. I would do blood test to be sure everything is fine. X ray yes, yes! Could be patelar luxsation-not painful but uncomfortable condition.

Old 07-23-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
It sounds like you've been doing the right things, in terms of looking for pain and thinking it through. I think it's possible that she has arthritis and she can mask it for most activities but doesn't feel like walking at the outset (but then exercise helps arthritis hurt less so she may improve as the walk continues). X-rays will reveal arthritis (as you probably know).

If it's not pain, then maybe something spooked her in connection with the departure-from-walks routine, so she's scare of that. (It does not have to have been objectively scary for this to be the case.) Maybe you could play with her for a while in the house (or in a yard if you have one), then clip a leash on her and try departing for the walk through your gate or through the back door of the house. If that seems to help, then maybe it was something in the departure routine that hurt or frightened her once (and once it all it takes for some dogs / events).
I can't think of what scared her. But she's a weird dog. 99% of the time she's brave and thinks she's a much bigger dog than she is (she's got confidence). But I remember one time I opened a bottle of seltzer water and it sprayed out all over me (and her) and now she runs out of the kitchen anytime I open a bottle or seltzer. So who knows.

I wondered about the arthritis. She's a bit young, but she could be getting it in that old, injured leg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieOChutt View Post
Change the vet. This one took a lot of money without finding out anything. I would do blood test to be sure everything is fine. X ray yes, yes! Could be patelar luxsation-not painful but uncomfortable condition.

I haven't brought her to the vet yet. It just seems like every time I go, I spend at least $200 (and I figure X-rays will be needed this time around so I can add another $100). She's a squirmy dog too. She will lie still for me if I tell her, but she won't obey strangers. They may have to sedate her to get x-rays.

I'll look into patelar luxsation. Thanks for the tip!

Old 07-23-2020, 01:18 PM

8,579 posts, read 11,003,462 times
Could be something as simple as fireworks.
In my area fireworks go off from April till September, and my dog does not like going outside even if there are no fireworks going off.
He associates the noise with being outside, so it is hard to take him for walks.

Old 07-23-2020, 01:19 PM

521 posts, read 293,434 times
the last time I had this problem my dog had foreign object removal surgery! Does your dog like to go to trash and eat stuff?

If there is no medical issue, change your walking trail. Choose a trail with stronger smell!! mine loves to sniff

Old 07-23-2020, 01:33 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,376,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post
I wondered about the arthritis. She's a bit young, but she could be getting it in that old, injured leg.
Yes, it's young but it's still quite possible. See this, for example:

Arthritis is believed to affect an estimated 20% of pet dogs over 1 year of age. And although it is more common in older dogs, it can appear in dogs of almost any age. Arthritis can affect any joint in the body, but common areas include the hips, knees, elbows, shoulders, neck, and back. Very commonly, an injury to a joint can lead to early onset of arthritis in that joint.
Dealing With Canine Arthritis

Good luck!

Old 07-23-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Could be something as simple as fireworks.
In my area fireworks go off from April till September, and my dog does not like going outside even if there are no fireworks going off.
He associates the noise with being outside, so it is hard to take him for walks.

It could be. She doesn't appear to have any fear of fireworks or thunder, although she will look out the windows during a thunderstorm to see what's making the noise. I will pay attention on the walks to see if she seems fearful of anything. The only time she was, was the time a fox started following us. People here feed the animals and they are a bit tame. I scared off the fox eventually, but my dog was concerned and didn't want to take her eyes off it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose88 View Post
the last time I had this problem my dog had foreign object removal surgery! Does your dog like to go to trash and eat stuff?

If there is no medical issue, change your walking trail. Choose a trail with stronger smell!! mine loves to sniff

Yikes! Glad your dog is better. She's not a trash digger or object chewer. Thank goodness. My boyfriend's dog ate a cat toy and ended up needing surgery too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
Yes, it's young but it's still quite possible. See this, for example:

Arthritis is believed to affect an estimated 20% of pet dogs over 1 year of age. And although it is more common in older dogs, it can appear in dogs of almost any age. Arthritis can affect any joint in the body, but common areas include the hips, knees, elbows, shoulders, neck, and back. Very commonly, an injury to a joint can lead to early onset of arthritis in that joint.
Dealing With Canine Arthritis

Good luck!

Thanks again! This is my one pain suspicion. I guess I can't avoid the vet for that diagnosis.

Old 07-23-2020, 04:15 PM

220 posts, read 134,080 times
Try going to a park. There are many things there that will interest your dog and get him excited again. Or consider going to a dog park. Maybe socialization with other dogs will help.

Old 07-23-2020, 04:21 PM

50,390 posts, read 64,095,870 times
It sounds like something hurts. It could be paws or joints. She is trying to communicate. Believe her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs