Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 07:39 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,238,332 times

Advertisements

We have 3 dogs - Sheltie (age 15 - female), Sheltie (age 8 - male - has nasal cancer) and Collie (age 7 just tomorrow - male - has a rash).

We've had Shelties since 1987. Our first two Shelties we fed Eukanuba (not sure if spelling is right) but no issues.

Then, around 2001, we switched to Life's Abundance (created by a woman vet) and the dogs loved it.
In 2017, there was a bad batch and they all got sick.

My husband (with the vet's blessing) switched the 2 younger dogs to Iams but now we are second guessing the food. None of our dogs have been sick like the one with cancer and now our Collie has the rash.

He's on medication for that now but during a talk with the radiology tech at the oncoloogist's office, he told me he thought the dog food today is generally awful compared to years ago.

My daughter has her dog on Farmer's Dog - it's expensive but our dogs loved it when she visited.

Any suggestions?

PS - Only dry food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2021, 12:39 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I don't see much difference in kibbles and how dogs do on them. Some are more expensive with nicer ingredients. I would give preference to foods with meat as the higher ingredients.

I wouldn't feed the super low end foods, but dogs can live long and healthy lives on regular old Purina from the super market.

If your dog is having health issues on a food, he might not react well to something in the food, so it is time to change and try something else.

My dogs get home cooked so that I know exactly what they are eating, but it is time consuming and I have to maintain a lot of freezer space. On the plus side, my dogs look and feel great and don't have vet bills beyond their vaccinations

Old 01-17-2021, 12:47 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
OK, this is the second inquiry about Farmers Dog so I went see what it is in it.

They don't want to tell you. Lots of statements about how it is human grade and farm sourced in answer to inquiries about what is in it. Then, their website wants personal information before they will give any answers.

It doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy about them.

But if your dogs like it and you can afford it (they don't seem to want to tell prices, either), I suspect it won't harm your dogs.

Old 01-17-2021, 02:32 PM

2,733 posts, read 1,545,040 times
We are transitioning our grand dog to The Farmer's Dog food right now. In fact, he had his first meal of it this morning, and according to his mom, he absolutely loved it. Grand dog is a ten year old Chihuahua (weighs approximately seven pounds) and rules our world. LOL

We got his first shipment of food Friday at a 70% off price of $11.48. It contained 4 packages of food (beef, pork, chicken--will try turkey next time) that are in suggested one fourth package serving sizes for our baby. It was shipped with dry ice and was frozen when we got it. It came with a container to keep the unused portion in between servings (supposed to be good when thawed for approximately four days as long as refrigerated). Dog's mom just thawed out a package yesterday in the refrigerator and served it to him this morning. (The shipment also came with a nice tote bag for some reason.)

Now, the next shipment will be seven packages of food for $76.72. That's $2.54 a day for his food. Well worth it for the joy he gives us.

Last edited by educator1953; 01-17-2021 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: Took out an extra word.

Old 01-17-2021, 03:14 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,238,332 times
Thumbs up That's awesome!

So, really, that $76.72 is 28 meals, right?

We have 3 dogs so we feed them twice a day so it would go fast!

But, still something to consider!

Old 01-17-2021, 03:36 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,370,556 times
I thought this fairly recent thread had some good discussion and ideas.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs...ds-do-you.html

Old 01-17-2021, 03:54 PM

2,733 posts, read 1,545,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
So, really, that $76.72 is 28 meals, right?

We have 3 dogs so we feed them twice a day so it would go fast!

But, still something to consider!
Yes, that is correct.

Old 01-17-2021, 04:30 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
I make my dog’s food, but of course its not dry food. There are many recipes available online if you want to try doing so to supplement products your purchase.

Old 01-17-2021, 04:49 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,587,804 times
I use Purina One and supplement with Pet Fresh. Never had a problem with it and I've had 5 dogs on this brand over the past 18 years.

Have you tried changing proteins? Chicken, beef, fish, lamb etc. Your dogs rash might be due to a food allergy.

Old 01-17-2021, 05:05 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,126,009 times
Dry dog food depends on how close you are to the stores. I live far from a Petsmart and tried Diamond dry food from the feed store. My bulldog got so sick, he ended up at the vet. Even after several doses of pepto, he couldn’t stop throwing up. So ok, no more Diamond. The grocery stores have Blue which is a good thing, Costco has good quality dry food as well.

My Yorkies usually get Blue dry with Fresh Pet mixed in. These are top rated foods and they love it, little Lexi is nine, but acts like a puppy. Check out Dog Food Advisor, they review and rate the brands. I like Rachel Rays dry food for the big dogs. That or Purina One. My bulldog can eat it and not whuf it back up and it’s sold in the grocery. I mix in canned foods like Purina One or the Costco canned dog food. I also cook them chicken and veg dishes to vary their diet, so they don’t have to eat only processed food.

If you have a Petsmart close by, you’ll have a lot more choices. I no longer feed grain free, there is still a lot of controversy and some vets recommend to stop feeding it until they know more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs