Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 10:56 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,809,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue777 View Post
I listed my puppy on craigslist for $150. The last one of the litter. I had a guy come by to pick him up, but he seemed sort of out of the ordinary. He was dressed in black goth clothing, a black trench coat, piercings all over his face, didn't say much, seemed pretty reclusive. Wasn't much of a talker and just wanted to pay and leave. He also smelled strongly of marijuana.

I didn't want to tell him that I didn't feel comfortable selling to him, so I told him that I actually made a mistake on the price and was actually higher. He then got really upset and angry with me and wanted me to take the $150 since he was already there. I said sorry. He then got in his car and sped off. Was I wrong for turning him down? I really don't like to judge people and have been feeling bad about it these past few days, but he just didn't seem like a animal person.
Where you went wrong was putting the pup up for sale on CL and agreeing to sell it to someone who hadn't even met the animal yet and who you knew nothing about. If you MUST backyard breed and sell the litter on CL (and there's actually no good reason to do this), at least take applications and do home checks instead of making promises over the phone that you may not be able to keep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2021, 10:10 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,139,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Where you went wrong was putting the pup up for sale on CL and agreeing to sell it to someone who hadn't even met the animal yet and who you knew nothing about. If you MUST backyard breed and sell the litter on CL (and there's actually no good reason to do this), at least take applications and do home checks instead of making promises over the phone that you may not be able to keep.
That’s very true, there are all kinds of sociopaths out there these days. I watched a horrifying video this morning, where it showed a woman spraying perfume in her puppy’s eyes. The poor little thing was rubbing and trying to get rid of the sting. It was also mentioned that she broke the puppy’s legs in an earlier video. She did this to get more followers on Instagram.

People were complaining and she was arrested, the puppy is safe now. Point is, she had thousands of followers and not nearly enough complained to the police. One of her accounts had over 147,000 followers. It’s a statement of the times we live in. Don’t ever sell or give away puppies on places like Craigslist. There are people out there who would abuse a puppy for fame or entertainment purposes and not think twice about it.

Last edited by Taz22; 02-12-2021 at 10:22 AM..

Old 02-12-2021, 11:53 AM

10,053 posts, read 18,110,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Please stop breeding dogs and selling on Craigslist.

^^^ This, a million times over. It's actually against Craigslist's terms to sell puppies (or other animals). In addition, you clearly do NO checks before selling (but we're supposed to be impressed that you lied to a potential buyer who did what you asked ).

WHY are you doing this?!!

Old 02-13-2021, 06:39 AM

11,280 posts, read 19,621,962 times
Spay your dog. Responsible ethical breeders do not advertise on craigslist. They health test their females (this forum won't allow the correct use of the actual term for a female dog) and stud them to superior specimens of the same breed who are also health tested. They have waiting lists for their pups. They accept applications and meet the potential buyers before the puppies are ready to go, forming a relationship and asking many questions. If they don't like the answers they refuse to sell to that person.

It's good you didn't let the pup go to the person, if it didn't feel right to you. But please, spay your female dog.

Last edited by catsmom21; 02-13-2021 at 07:17 AM..

Old 02-13-2021, 05:08 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,071,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
In future, do some initial screening over the phone before your buyer is allowed to see the puppies.

Also, I seriously recomend a home check to make sure the home is safe. Verify that they have a family vet and will give you the vet as a reference.

The anger about being refused the pup is your verification that you did the correct thing.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Spay your dog. Responsible ethical breeders do not advertise on craigslist. They health test their females (this forum won't allow the correct use of the actual term for a female dog) and stud them to superior specimens of the same breed who are also health tested. They have waiting lists for their pups. They accept applications and meet the potential buyers before the puppies are ready to go, forming a relationship and asking many questions. If they don't like the answers they refuse to sell to that person.

It's good you didn't let the pup go to the person, if it didn't feel right to you. But please, spay your female dog.
This too. Nothing positive comes from selling on Craigslist.

Old 01-26-2024, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Telling him the dog is Higher may come back & Bite you on the Butt! You should have out right told him NO! You will Not sell to him!

1 telling him the price has increased you set your self up of Having to sell to him if he comes up with the money. By Law!!

2 By refusing to sell to him & you need not say why the Law is on your side.

When you sell live animals You have the Right to pick & Chose the Best home!

BTW with Legal Marijuana you can NOT use that as excuse! No more than you can turn away a Drunk! BUT IF you Really Screen people you can elimanate the worst.
But it is not legal to drive under the influence. I am here assuming he drove to the breeders house. The breeder could argue that they wouldn't want someone to drive off with a puppy if they were under the influence. The as if they were drunk. I am aware the OP did not indicate if the drove, but it would be the most obvious assumption, as they did not mention anyone else with them.

Old 01-27-2024, 07:53 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,009,327 times
Well, it's been a few years since we last saw this thread, eh?

Old 01-27-2024, 02:59 PM

23,383 posts, read 18,993,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikisid View Post
But it is not legal to drive under the influence. I am here assuming he drove to the breeders house. The breeder could argue that they wouldn't want someone to drive off with a puppy if they were under the influence. The as if they were drunk. I am aware the OP did not indicate if the drove, but it would be the most obvious assumption, as they did not mention anyone else with them.
Interesting sidebar. Looks like the main topic of the thread (ethical/humane concerns regarding backyard breeding and selling puppies to totally unscreened strangers) flew right over someone's head.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-27-2024 at 03:35 PM..

Old 01-27-2024, 04:22 PM

3,287 posts, read 1,767,584 times
Some pre-sale screening questions might be;

Is your yard fenced?
Is this your first dog?
What other pets do you have?
Will this dog live inside with you?
Where / who is the nearest vet to you?
Do you have medical insurance for pets?
Can you give me three personal references?
How long will your pet be left alone each day?

Last edited by Driver 47; 01-27-2024 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: Crap! Just noticed it's a zombie thread.

Old 02-01-2024, 05:02 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,965,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Some pre-sale screening questions might be;

Is your yard fenced?
Is this your first dog?
What other pets do you have?
Will this dog live inside with you?
Do you have medical insurance for pets?
Can you give me three personal references?
How long will your pet be left alone each day?

Medical insurance does not cover everything. It is also a waste of money which is better saved aside for when a vet visit is necessary. I don't have it for my cat, preferring instead to pay her vet bills out of pocket. She's only ever needed one vet visit per year, for her annual exam and yearly blood panel. I would be throwing good money away paying for insurance premiums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs