Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 10:10 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times

Advertisements

Something similar to us when my wife brought home two rescued Guinea Pigs too. We dont let him play with them as a paw could easily kill them but we do allow him sniff and lick time when they are in our laps or a small cage on the ground. Best you can dois teach him "leave it", "no" and "sit" commands for when he gets rough and reward him with a doggy treat. Works well with Dakota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 10:09 PM

1 posts, read 507 times
I have a similar situation, but my 10 month old female pitbull pup weighs 75lbs. We had a cat when we brought the pup home at 5 weeks old so she has always had a cat around. Our cat at the time was male and for the last 8 months they had a blast together! A few nights ago, we unexpectedly lost our male cat to seizures.. And our pup would whine during the day because she couldn't find her friend. We thought the best move for us as a family was bringing in a new best friend! An 8 week female kitten showed.up outside the house the day before our male cat left us... It seemed perfect. But now our puppy just wants to play like she did with the 3 year old male cat. The kitten loves dogs, so its not that she is scared.. She will eat with our female pup and be fine being by her, until the pup starts going crazy!! Then she hisses and hides. So I guess controlled playtime a shorttime every day until the kitty can defend herself. We are tired of punishing the pup when we are all still grieving. Thanks for the advice all!

Old 08-06-2016, 01:31 AM

4 posts, read 2,757 times
its for sure just at the beginning. its good that the dog isnt aggressive towards the kitten. he just has to learn how "much" he can play with the kitten.. no worries. after some time they will get used to eachother..

i´d recommend that at first you let them play together just when someone is around.. you have to watch that the puppy doesnt hurt the kitten by accident. or maybe the other way round :P

they will get used to it

Old 08-06-2016, 02:20 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
You pup is Not ready for another cat. Please find the cat a new home.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:14 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,279,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I should imagine the kitten will eventually sink a claw into the dogs nose and the dog will acquire a new found respect for all things feline...
We brought a pound kitten into a house with six dogs and it took a couple days, but she straightened all but the really dumb one out in short order. Two years later, she acts like a dogs most of time and really has become a member of the 'pack'... but they all know she has cat powers. The dumb one still taunts her.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:13 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
You pup is Not ready for another cat. Please find the cat a new home.
Why do you say that? It sounds like normal 'new member of the house' adjustment.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:31 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
But the poster is Refusing to correct the dog. Like kids dogs NEED to learn how to be around other.

Poster that said let the cat scratch the dog unless they don't care that the cat will also scratch out the dogs Eyes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs