Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2022, 12:19 PM

10,988 posts, read 6,857,477 times

Advertisements

Yes, they show compassion. Seen it and experienced it many times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2022, 09:06 PM

3,067 posts, read 8,407,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I think they do and don't really care if someone dismisses that as projection or wishful thinking. All my dogs quickly picked up on sadness, worry, or distress and tried to comfort me when I was sick, healing, hurting, etc. We've all heard stories about dogs refusing to leave a sick or injured owner or mate. What may have started off as helping a partner for mutual benefit, contributing to the survival of a mate (that eventually produces their offspring to carry on their genes). It translates to loyalty which could encompass compassion.

^^^^^ THIS very well said and all very true! Dogs can show compassion when they love their family. All of the dogs I have ever had the privilege to be a guardian/family for have been well loved and they know it. They also know when I am not well in any way and will stay with me. They are also keen on picking up on when I may not be well and are a good signal if I don't catch it myself.

Part of this reaction from dogs is through consistency of us humans. My dogs know when I am happy just by the way I act. They also know when I am angry whether it is something they did or something else. This is consistency in the way I act. They know they will never be struck but the mere act of being unhappy with something they did let's them know they screwed up. When that happens they will pick the right time to come to me and see if they are out of the proverbial Dog House if I haven't already gone to them.

Dogs are a lot smarter than many believe and that is not a projection or wishful thinking!

Old 08-07-2022, 04:56 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,057 times
I see it all the time. I see it with one species showing remorse for the loss of another species.

I saw it when I lost one of my horses and the neighbor’s dog came over to sit with me and my dogs. He is over here all the time when his human is not home. What made that a show of sympathy was his human was home that day, but he chose to comfort me and stayed beside me for a few hours.

Then there’s one of the crows who was my horse’s friend. He sat on that horse’s grave every morning for the first three mornings. He has lived here for many years, has seen other senior horses pass away, but never sat at their graves; he was very attached to this horse.

Old 08-07-2022, 06:22 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,370,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
Then there’s one of the crows who was my horse’s friend. He sat on that horse’s grave every morning for the first three mornings. He has lived here for many years, has seen other senior horses pass away, but never sat at their graves; he was very attached to this horse.

This is so moving to me. Corvids are so intelligent, I don't doubt it. That is really something.

Old 08-07-2022, 09:14 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
This is so moving to me. Corvids are so intelligent, I don't doubt it. That is really something.
Without hi-jacking this thread too much, here is a picture of the crow hopping away from my horse’s grave. I couldn’t get my cell phone out in time to catch him sitting on top of it, and also The crow waiting at the barn door for my horse to come out, in happier times.

Clicking on the thumbnails to enlarge the view will bring the crow into view.
Attached Thumbnails
do dogs show compassion-192f63f4-8973-46ae-91f8-4a9a644d6bf9.jpeg   do dogs show compassion-78fc31d0-0dcc-4416-9374-a185bd18ec51.jpeg  

Old 08-07-2022, 11:20 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,370,945 times
Quote:
Without hi-jacking this thread too much, here is a picture of the crow hopping away from my horse’s grave. I couldn’t get my cell phone out in time to catch him sitting on top of it, and also The crow waiting at the barn door for my horse to come out, in happier times.

I love the 2nd photo, especially - waiting for his friend to come out and play! So nice.

Old 08-07-2022, 11:52 AM

10,988 posts, read 6,857,477 times
Quote:

Couldn't rep you again, but this is so sweet and poignant. I hope the crow found another friend. But nothing can replace his dear friend.

I once lived on a ranch. The horse made friends with a certain sheep the next field over. They hung out together under the same tree every day for a few months. Then the sheep was butchered. The horse went through a period of mourning.

Same horse, who I adore and still send treats to, came over to comfort me when I was inspecetd an area where my vehicle was hit by lightning from a very fierce storm and glass was shattered. She had to wait in her corral until the next morning until she could come over to inspect the scene. She was clearly showing interest and compassion.

Old 08-09-2022, 09:35 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,661,333 times
A strange incident from a few years back: we had just lost our WSD Sweetie to a rattlesnake bite, and we were devastated and in shock. A few days later we were at the local swap meet (dogs allowed), trying to distract ourselves from our grief, when all of a sudden a Great Dane stood right in front of us. He/she stared at us, and to our surprise the dog rose up and put its paws on DH's shoulders and looked him in the eyes, utterly seriously. No threat, no play face, just a deep sense of communication. The dog held that position for 5 seconds or so. The owner was very apologetic, but we felt that the dog was reacting to our emotional state, and trying to communicate sympathy, and we explained our recent loss to the owner. It was the most extraordinary experience, and actually made us feel better.

Old 08-09-2022, 10:13 AM

1,719 posts, read 730,333 times
A resounding YES. Dogs' love, loyalty, and compassion are unsurpassed.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Old 08-10-2022, 12:35 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,584,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonite View Post
A resounding YES. Dogs' love, loyalty, and compassion are unsurpassed.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!
Thank you. I actually am having a rather speedy recovery. My Physical therapist says I am 2-3 weeks ahead of most people after a total knee replacement!

It is now 4 weeks and I have been driving for a week so have been taking the dogs on short afternoon walks at a local park. I do find the more I am up and doing normal activities the less compassionate the dogs are. Zephyr more so than Chaos as he walks in the room and looks at me like get off your lazy butt and let's do a fun walk! He keeps trying to get in my lap which he never tried those first couple weeks and gives me very hurt looks when I tell him no.

Next week will be their last walk with the dog walker and I know they will go through withdrawals as every morning right before 7 they start listening for her car and when she arrives a little later than usual, they start getting anxious as they wait then Chaos barks and tells her off when she does get here. I am lucky as she loves my dogs, and they love her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs