Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 04:25 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,736,488 times

Advertisements

I referred to the following site for the selection of our Bichon Frise.

Bichon Frise Information and Pictures, Bichon Frises, Bichons
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 05:03 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,545,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
Agree with DM, it's all part of misbreeding, as you know.
I knew breeding was part of it. We lost Jake to DM at age 13 about three years ago. His parentage was german and I don't recall if there was any line breeding in his pedigree. It's not something I want to go through again with a best friend.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:35 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
1. Official Breed Name and Country of Origin
English Mastiff. This breed was developed in England, but is very ancient and may have originated in Asia. All mastiffs (Bullmastiffs, Neapolitan, Dogue de Bordeaux, Tibetan Mastiff etc are related. Some say that Phoenican traders brought giant mastiff-like dogs to ancient Britain. At the British Museum, you can see a bas-relief depicting large dogs which bear a remarkable resemblance to mastiffs as we know them today.
2. What is this breed was bred for (some history)
Mastiffs were used for guarding and war. They roamed castles and estates and were taken to battle by noblemen. The story goes that When Sir Peers Legh was wounded in the Battle of Agincourt (Henry V), his Mastiff stood over and protected him for many hours through the battle. Although Legh later died, the Mastiff returned to Legh’s home and was the foundation of the Lyme Hall Mastiffs (http://www.mastiffassociation.com/Events/limehall2000.htm - broken link). Five centuries later this pedigree figured prominently in founding the modern breed.
3. Breed Standards
AKC Standard (http://mastiff.org/faq/akc_standard.htm - broken link)
General Appearance
The Mastiff is a large, massive, symmetrical dog with a well-knit frame. The impression is one of grandeur and dignity. Dogs are more massive throughout. Females should not be faulted for being somewhat smaller in all dimensions while maintaining a proportionally powerful structure. A good evaluation considers positive qualities of type and soundness with equal weight.
Size - Dogs, minimum, 30 inches at the shoulder. Females, minimum, 27-1/2 inches at the shoulder. Fault-Dogs or females below the minimum standard. The farther below standard, the greater the fault.
Color
Fawn, apricot, or brindle. Brindle should have fawn or apricot as a background color which should be completely covered with very dark stripes. Muzzle, ears, and nose must be dark in color, the blacker the better, with similar color tone around the eye orbits and extending upward between them. A small patch of white on the chest is permitted. Faults-Excessive white on the chest or white on any other part of the body. Mask, ears, or nose lacking dark pigment
Temperament
A combination of grandeur and good nature, courage and docility. Dignity, rather than gaiety, is the Mastiff's correct demeanor. Judges should not condone shyness or viciousness. Conversely, judges should also beware of putting a premium on showiness.

4. Health Issues/Genetics
Hip Dysplasia
Progressive Retinal Atrophy
Cystinuria
Epilepsy
Responsible breeders test for these ailments. An ethical breeder, if looking at bringing new puppies into the world, always considers the betterment of the breed. Eliminating inherited problems is the conscientious approach.
Also, non-genetic: Bloat/Torsion
5. Temperament
Mastiffs should be gentle giants. See above.
6. Why one should/ or should not own this breed
Mastiffs are very large, and while undemanding, are very devoted--they want to please you, and can be rather sensitive.
If you are trying to cook dinner, and keep tripping over the giant dog reclining in your kitchen, and might scold him a bit, his tender feelings might be hurt.
If you are gone a lot, a mastiff might not be for you--they really love their people. Obedience training is a must, as is socialization. Nobody wants a large dog who is either fearful or aggressive.
Mastiffs snore and slobber, and sometimes fart (however, we have not had a lot of problems with gas, and we are on our third mastiff).
Sometimes the drool flies. Sometimes furniture gets rearranged a bit.
If you like an immaculate house, you probably should not get a mastiff.
Because of their size, medications can be costly, but mastiffs don't eat as much as you might think.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:33 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,933 times
Blue Willow, great introduction. I am a big fan of any big dog and Mastiff is one of them. They are big and beautiful.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:47 PM

485 posts, read 1,953,564 times
Consider the greyhound.

Perhaps dating from ancient Egypt, the greyhound has been many things to many people.

Today, they are well known for being docile, but once they were fierce, hunting dangerous game in packs, and going into battle beside their masters.

Greyhounds are good at hunting hares and rabbits, and they were used to take gazelles in North Africa.

Generally tame, some have a very strong prey drive and are a hazard for lapdogs and cats-but not all.

They are social with most other dogs, loving with family, and happiest with a greyhound companion.

They are high strung, but quite calm in the house, being lazy and inclined to snooze away the day.

The greyhound has been the foundation of many other breeds.

Great Dane-greyhound/mastiff
Boxer-greyhound/bulldog
Borzoi-greyhound and a Russian collie breed
Pharoh Hound, Ibizian Hound, Saluki(which may be an ancestor or a variant), various deerhounds and wolfhounds, all are part of this ancient clan.

They have few health issues, but they have trouble with their teeth(sometimes)which become sensetive in middle age, and make chewing bones uncomfortable, causing them to develop tartar, bad gums and hideous breath.

Frequent dental cleanings for dogs that need it-yearly-are a must.

Osteosarcoma is a moderate risk, and not much to be done about it.

Tort is a danger-no large doses of people food, and soy products are out!

Greyhounds can expect to live to be 14 or so, though 18 is not unheard of.

A racing hound can be adopted for $250, shots, altered, teeth cleaned and all.

Delightful animals-if you caress the inside of their ears, they let go with a moan of pleasure that stirs the soul, and they love to snuggle.

They adore their humans, and do not like to be alone-I had two, and they both had seperation anxiety, together!

They wanted Mommy and Daddy!

They eat sparingly.

No flea collars-the lack of body fat makes them dangerous to greyhounds.

Wonderful pets.

Get several!

Old 06-21-2008, 04:37 PM

krakenten, some good info on GHs, i didn't know few things about them. I know a lady who does a rescue. She brings them all to Petsmart for adoption every Saturday.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:05 PM

485 posts, read 1,953,564 times
I was on my way to check for a greyhound adoption, when someone gave me my pit bull!

I keep hoping to find a greyhound that Maggie likes, so they can have companionship, but I may get her another pit bull-so many in the shelters.

If it's a dog, I like it.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:17 PM

146 posts, read 738,786 times
ROTTWEILER

1. Official Breed Name and Country of Origin: Rottweiler, named after the German City of Rottweil. About 700 ad, red tiles from the ancient roman baths were unearthed on that spot, and the city was named red tile or Rottweil in Germany.
Theory has it that they were drover dogs for the Roman army. They herded livestock (a food source) across the Alps into Germany. There was no source of refrigeration back then, so food had to be transported "on the hoof"

2. What is this breed was bred for (some history): Herding, droving, as a "butcher's dog" carried meat to the merchants and took the money back in a leather purse tied around its neck (no one dared steal the pouch from this dog)

3. Breed Standards: Males, 24 to 27 inches, weight 90-130. Females,22-25 inches, 80-120 lbs.

4. Health Issues/Genetics: HD, Osteosarcoma, Bloat, stomach torsion.

5. Temperament: Bold, Devoted, Laid Back, Task Oriented.

6. Why one should/ or should not own this breed: People with little or no dog experience, People who are not willing to show leadership or assertiveness.

7. Any other info: Due to overbreeding, Rottweilers tend to have short lifespans, and high incidences of HD and cancers. They also need an owner who will train and socialize them to be responsible representatives of their breed.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:14 PM

795 posts, read 4,538,674 times
oh, fun! i didn't know any of that info about those breeds!! rep points to each of you as soon as i finish this post!

1. Official Breed Name and Country of Origin
Shih Tzu, China

2. What is this breed was bred for (some history)
Bred to be lapdogs to emperors; highly treasured

3. Breed Standards
9-16 pounds; 8-11 inches tall at shoulder
Lion-like face
Long, sweeping hair
Saddle pattern on shoulders or back
Fur color: gold and white, black and white, silver and white, brindle and white
Plumed tail
Sturdy body

4. Health Issues/Genetics
Likely to suffer ear infections because of big, floppy ears and skin allergies depending on climate; disc issues because of long back and short legs; and arthritis

5. Temperament
Very smart, stubborn, loveable, and playful

6. Why one should/ or should not own this breed
Do own this breed if you:
- have time to brush long hair or the funds to cut it short every eight weeks
- will make time for regular vet visits to deal with arthritis, back, and allergy issues
- want a constant companion who will cuddle and trail you from room to room at all times
- want a little dog who is low- to medium- energy and who is not yappy
- are ready for a dog who has opinions of his own and isn't afraid to share them
- want a happy dog who's sometimes too smart for his own good and who will love you every day of your life!

Do NOT own this breed if you:
- are not committed to spending most of your nights at home if you work. This dog needs attention.
- are not committed to walking him every day. To housebreak this dog, he needs lots of exercise.
- don't like the idea of a dog who has ideas about how your day should go. This breed is opinionated!
- are not committed to a constant grooming and veterinary schedule. These dogs require constant care and a lot of medical attention.
- want to run with them. These dogs are little with short legs. They're walkers, not joggers.
- don't like being trailed through your house, including into the bathroom. These dogs LOVE their people.

7. Any other info:
Shih Tzus and Lhasa Apsos can look a lot alike, but I've heard they are VERY different in personality. I just want to note this point because many people don't know the difference between the two breeds. I've heard that Lhasas can be testy and difficult, although I don't know if this is true since I've never owned one. If I had to choose between the two, I'd definitely pick a Shih Tzu because I KNOW they're great dogs.

Maybe there's a Lhasa owner out there?

Last edited by barndog; 06-22-2008 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: fixed spacing, added info

Old 06-22-2008, 03:34 PM

AzRiver, excellent intro on Rots! After GSD and Belgian Mal, Rot would be my third choice of dog. Thanks for sharing!

Barndog, i'm not a big fan of small dogs and i don't know much about them. Appreciate your great post and info on the breed. Excellent!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs