Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 02:45 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,278,891 times

Advertisements

YES I own a barker!!!

I'm watching my friends dog for a few weeks. I have a backup that the visiting dog can go to if it becomes to much for Cody but I'm taking this on as a training opportunity.

Mr. Barks(aka Cody) barks if I pet the other dog. I've started working through this by rewarding him for being quiet and asking for tricks before he triggers into Mr. Barky pants.

I'm also ignoring(no eye contact- no words-etc) him when he's barking as leaving the room gives him what he wants(separation between me and the other dog). When I do pet the other dog I am telling Cody he's a good dog and only petting her in small increments. I stop petting her before he can react(like 2 seconds!!!!) This barking is improving and I see a light at the end of the tunnel!!!!!

Any other ideas would be awesome!

My next question is this. ....When they play Cody barks at the other dog if she lays on the ground. He stands over her and barks YAP YAP YAP! They do play well together until she rolls over randomly and becomes a baby. I am telling them they are good puppies when they play w/o barking.
I know its out of play but its kinda annoying. Should I separate the play before he starts barking(before he triggers)? Should I time out him minute he starts barking? He of course thinks he has a beautiful voice so he continues barking because its fun....my ears hurt!!!! I don't know how to fix the barking when the other dog is laying on the ground. Scolding only joins in w/ the barking, he's to sensitive for a physical response, he knows when he's on a leash and acts different....

I do agree w/ him that she's a whimp and doesn't stick up for herself BUT who said he was boss?

Last edited by kelly3120; 08-15-2008 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: can't spell!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 09:25 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,471,642 times
I'm working on a similar issue with one of my dogs who has suddenly become enamored with the sound of her own bark . She doesn't do it outside, but inside the house she likes to bark in the other dogs' face .

So far, I've been doing Cesar Milan's "Ssssht!" sound (somewhat effective), the "claw" when she's close enough to me (she runs when she knows I'm going to touch her while barking ), and I've also been trying to teach her the "quiet!" command.

I should probably stick to one approach, but sometimes she's within reach and other times she's across the room, so I vary the approach.

Let me know if you have any success, I would certainly like to get her to stop.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:06 AM

YES its only in the house!!!!!!! Nice to know someone else has a in house barker!!!!

it seems time out is sssslllloooowwwwwwlllllyyyy working. We let him play until there is a bark and then send him to his crate(which is a sort of "calm down" and comfort place) and then let him out in a few seconds.

Cody is to quick for the claw and learns to just bark away from me(tricky monkey) ....ssshshhhhttt has no value(I probably ruined it years ago).

I'll keep you posted! This dog we are watching is so pathetic ...I'd like to bark at her. We of course treat her well(few walks a day,frisbee, free roam, pets) but I'm not doing this pathetic goopy stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I'm working on a similar issue with one of my dogs who has suddenly become enamored with the sound of her own bark . She doesn't do it outside, but inside the house she likes to bark in the other dogs' face .

So far, I've been doing Cesar Milan's "Ssssht!" sound (somewhat effective), the "claw" when she's close enough to me (she runs when she knows I'm going to touch her while barking ), and I've also been trying to teach her the "quiet!" command.

I should probably stick to one approach, but sometimes she's within reach and other times she's across the room, so I vary the approach.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:53 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,611,652 times
I'll buy your yapper! OK, maybe just rent one. I have never had a barker and I desperately want one. For years and years and years I have wanted a dog that would bark when someone comes to the house or a car pulls into the driveway or someone approaches me from behind. Nothing. I've had german sheperds, rottweiler, doberman, lab mix, St. Bernard mix, an assortment of terriers and currently a Standard poodle and a pomeranian. Not a sound. Someone comes to the door and the poodle looks toward the door and ***** his head. I can't hear that when I'm in another room. The pomeranian sometimes whisper-barks when I am playing with him, but nothing really audible.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:26 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,982,996 times
Don't have a good answer, but I'd eliminate petting all together if that would help some.

I can sympathize with you somewhat. My don't isn't audible much at all, but my friend brought his dog over for a few hours last night. The dog barked the entire time outside because she missed him. Seriously, you could hear it for probably 250'. He thought it was cute that she "loved him" that much, but finally I had to ask for him to take her home. I have to live with the neighbors, not him. He was understanding about it though.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:34 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,277,272 times
I have a whole alarm system of barkers who are indiscriminate...they bark if someone comes in, they bark if we go out. No, they bay if we leave - sounds like someone set them on fire. They bark, but usually only inside the house...except the terrier, who barks at the wind. None were particularly bark-y until the blind boy came to live with us. He lurrvvs the sound of his own voice and expresses his excitement that way, I guess, because he can't see and needs to make contact with the world. He also barks to entice play, but because he can't see me he seems confused if I ssshhhh him and I don't have the heart to water bottle him since he can't see it coming. Once he gets started it's just crazy. It sounds like a kennel in here if someone drives up. Oops, must be because it IS a kennel - an indoor one.

Alice, have you tried recording another dog barking and hitting the playback when you know someone is coming up the walk, like for planned visitors? It might give your dog the cue. Sometimes if there is more than one they will feed off of each other.

As for stopping barking, how about the old water bottle trick? No? I know you don't want to discourage barking altogether, but there's a time and a place - mine don't really bother me too much, I just figure no one can get me if they are on guard...

Old 08-16-2008, 09:17 AM

1,477 posts, read 7,912,334 times
I have a foster that is a frantic barker. Any sudden noise, a strange dog, a strange person, preparing his meals--all result in non-stop piercing barking. Our rescue group's trainer recommended the time out, but with a twist. Instead of just putting him in his crate, she suggests isolating him in another room away from me until he's quiet, then letting him out. This is working. He hates to be isolated, and since the crate is usually close to where the action is, it probably wasn't sufficient motivation for him.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
I have a foster that is a frantic barker. Any sudden noise, a strange dog, a strange person, preparing his meals--all result in non-stop piercing barking. Our rescue group's trainer recommended the time out, but with a twist. Instead of just putting him in his crate, she suggests isolating him in another room away from me until he's quiet, then letting him out. This is working. He hates to be isolated, and since the crate is usually close to where the action is, it probably wasn't sufficient motivation for him.
we are doing that. his crate is in our room so we just send him to our room.

I dont mind barking but just standing over another dog and barking ...how obnoxious! I've tired them out(they've tired me out?) and its been pretty quiet today. He barks only if the other dog comes near me ...not so much the hub.
Wish I wasn't so lovable

Old 08-17-2008, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post

Riveree I found something that works!
when the play turns into Cody standing over the other dog barking or jsut to much barking I make a noise(loud pennies in a can) and walk out of the room w/o saying something ...it offends them and they stop.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:03 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,700,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
Riveree I found something that works!
when the play turns into Cody standing over the other dog barking or jsut to much barking I make a noise(loud pennies in a can) and walk out of the room w/o saying something ...it offends them and they stop.
any loud sound in a can might work just walk in, ignore the action and rattle without the dog seeing it. Then he does get his attention elsewhere. You might try the water squirt in a bottle. The penny in a can I read you come in hide it and shake it and donot let the dog see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs