Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 06:39 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,979,871 times

Advertisements

After being irate that my dog ate my last tomatoes and peppers from my plant last night, I remembered the story about how my brother and SIL came to have their first dog.

The dog at the time was my SIL's sister's dog. They left her (small pit bull/rat terrier mix) alone for a few hours one day. She was probably about 2-4 months old, if I had to guess.

When they returned, an unopened bag of suckers was scattered throughout the house - many of the suckers now opened and stuck to various things. An entire bag of M&Ms was eaten. A couch and loveseat were ripped so badly they had to be thrown out. And lastly, about 30 CDs/DvDs were destroyed.

Obviously it was their fault for not confining the dog, but that's not what this thread is about.

Aside from eating my vegetables and peaches, my dog isn't too much of a destroyer, with the exception of his toys. If it has cotton in it, the toy is usually destroyed in about 20-30 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 07:03 AM

183 posts, read 1,133,887 times
Default socks...

Our border collie mix, now 2 years old and finally over the "eat everything in sight" phase, gave us a run for our money (and clothing) as a pup. One Thanksgiving, as we were all sitiing down to dinner, he starting heaving and trying to vomit. He threw up, but continued to heave over the next hour. Apparently, something he had eaten something that didn't agree with him, and couldn't get it up. Eventually, (after ruining the dinner) he stopped vomiting. We kept debating on what to do, since it was a holiday and a trip to the clinic would cost us $100 just to walk in the door. (We had just paid $1,500 for a luxating patella surgery for our other dog, and $800 for our male cat that had a blockage in his urethra!) Finally, since he stopped vomiting and was moving around, we decided to wait until morning and see how he was. Well, in the morning, I took him on his walk, and he was back to his old self. When he squatted to make a poop, I noticed he really seemed to be straining. Just then, another couple walked by and pointed and whispered to each other. I looked at what was coming out and low and behold, it was one of my husband's long, black dress socks. Naturally, he was having some difficulty passing it, so I put my hand in the poop bag, and had to grab it and help pull it out. That was a lot of fun...
He had a terrible habit of of not just chewing things up, but actually eating them. Boy am I glad that's over!
Other things he has grabbed and eaten when left unsupervised for less than 30 seconds include:
1. cat poop
2. entire sticks of butter
3. a big slice of chocolate mousse pie
4. an entire loaf of bread
5. several sandwiches
6. underwear

However, the best thing he ever used his mouth for was when my husband took him running with him, only to have Buddy jump up and pull down his pants in front of a group of women on the sidewalk. Buddy succeded in wrapping the leash around my husband, making it very dificult for him to pull his pants up quickly. He's a quirky dog, but he sure is funny sometimes.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:33 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
The plant part of a tomato plant is toxic to dogs. Please keep an eye on him and if he starts to show any reaction please get him to the vet right away.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:37 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times
Oh yuck - this is a gross, but funny thread!

My sister's black lab chewed up the TV remote one afternoon while he was home alone. It resulted in turning up the TV volume so loud that the neighbors called the police!

When I was growing up I had a golden who swallowed a superball that we were playing with. Two days later he gave a big HACK! and coughed up the superball only to chase it down as it bounced around and swallow it for a second time! Never saw it again...

Old 08-22-2008, 07:43 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post

My sister's black lab chewed up the TV remote one afternoon while he was home alone. It resulted in turning up the TV volume so loud that the neighbors called the police!

When I was growing up I had a golden who swallowed a superball that we were playing with. Two days later he gave a big HACK! and coughed up the superball only to chase it down as it bounced around and swallow it for a second time!

Never saw it again...
That's funny!

Old 08-22-2008, 07:46 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post

When I was growing up I had a golden who swallowed a superball that we were playing with. Two days later he gave a big HACK! and coughed up the superball only to chase it down as it bounced around and swallow it for a second time! Never saw it again...

LOL...I just about spurt my coffee all over my keyboard reading about the superball!

My Goldens have all been really good about chewing. My current dogs GGGrandMother used to love sprinkler heads. My husband would get so furious! She could chew the head off in less than 5 minutes We finally resolved the problem by covering all the sprinkler heads with tomatoe cages.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:51 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,815 times
im having vivid memories of the dog "snots" from nat lampoons christmas vacation about now...

cuddint find it on youtube..so i got close

YouTube - Coney Island Dog Throws Up

Old 08-22-2008, 08:11 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,495,433 times
Growing up, our GSD had a plastic squeaky hamburger toy that she just loved to death. She would hide it and then hunt it down. Very cute.

One day... we found the squeaker from the hamburger... but no hamburger anywhere! Maybe she got confused, thought it was real, and ate it? To this day, it's a mystery!

Old 08-22-2008, 08:30 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
My pit mix destroyed one of those firehose toys (made from firehose material with solid rubber inside) in about 10 min. He's about 1 y/o and chews everything, no more soft toys around here! The dogs are doing fine with the twisted rope toys, they play tug-of-war with each other. A previous dog ate every pair of sunglasses I left on the table once I left the house at night, and she ate a roll of toilet paper and half a towel when I put her in the bathroom once.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 08-22-2008 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-22-2008, 08:34 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,060 times
One place I lived had a bathroom right at the top of the stairs.

One of my dogs favorite Catch Me games was to take the end of the toilet paper roll and run down the stairs unrolling toilet paper down the stairs and through the house...

He really thought it was funny!

Last edited by World Citizen; 08-22-2008 at 08:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs