Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 11:05 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times

Advertisements

I'm just getting caught up on this and I'm excited for Britches!

He seems like such a balanced dog, I'm sure he won't have any trouble making the adjustment.

I'm also excited to see whatever new foster comes along for you Teddie . You turn these little doggies into masterpieces and the canine world is a better place for it .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 07:25 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
It takes a special person to be a foster, and that you are Teddie. I'd be a certifiable mental case if I were in your shoes! Bless your heart, and I mean that in the non-Southern way!

Old 08-26-2008, 12:53 PM

692 posts, read 3,856,109 times
I thought I'd give a quick update.

We went to the meeting last night. Unfortunately they couldn't bring their dog up, but Britches will meet him when we go for the homecheck.
Very responsible and they spoil their fur baby rotten. His dog house is (I think) 9ft tall and he gets to stay inside while they're gone to work. He gets new toys each week and is a huge softy. I know Britches will have a blast with a big brother.

When we went up to meet them I thought I should get Britches a little tired.. I should have let him go full force. By the time we got there all he wanted to do was lay around. So the energized Britches they didn't get to see, but they said they're used to that with their dog.
So I go to do the home check Friday. If it turns out to be a great fit he will stay at their house and not come back with me. I'm sad, but it looks really good. They have a lot of dogs through out the family and are always having play dates. Their whole family is full of animal lovers.
Friends and family they know have pits.

There have been a lot of ups and downs lately, but since I made this thread I figured I need to update it.

Have a great week you guys.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:13 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times
Teddie, I'm excited for Britches but surely hate not to see that precious face all the time...you keep your chin up and walk out of there with your head held high. You've done a beautiful thing for this boy and he owes you his life...but it's time for his new life, and the beginning of a new life for another needy dog.

Post pictures of him and his family if everything works out...or at least of him in his new digs!

Old 08-26-2008, 02:35 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
How exciting for Britches! I know how tough it will be for you...but your doing such a great thing! Just think how happy this new family will be...and it will be all because of YOU!

Old 08-26-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Teddie, I'm excited for Britches but surely hate not to see that precious face all the time...you keep your chin up and walk out of there with your head held high. You've done a beautiful thing for this boy and he owes you his life...but it's time for his new life, and the beginning of a new life for another needy dog.

Post pictures of him and his family if everything works out...or at least of him in his new digs!
Thank you. I will ask if I can get pictures of their dog and Britches on the homecheck. And I've already asked them if they would update us. They told me that was not a problem; which meant a lot.

I think I may take Britches out again for a walk and get some more pictures.. the next few days I may or maynot be posting a lot of pictures..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
How exciting for Britches! I know how tough it will be for you...but your doing such a great thing! Just think how happy this new family will be...and it will be all because of YOU!
Thank you Shelby. I know he'll be living a fun life and the needs we layed out they meet. Lol they even talked about getting him a kiddie pool so he wouldn't loose the aspect of playing in the water.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:28 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
Everything sounds good Teddie except for Britches being an outside dog in a doghouse? Our rescue group would not allow that in a hot state like Texas. We definately do not believe in any dog living in a doghouse. But every rescue group has their own ideas of a good home I guess. I think (know)Rescue Groups in New Jersey are more critical. I sure hope those people have the their own dog there...people pull stuff on home checks....we have seen it all! And two male dogs together that do not even know each other for any length of time? Very dangerous! We outsmarted many on homechecks! Sometimes you think the dog is going one place when it ends up in another. We even caught people adopting some dogs and especially pits for someone else! Never judge a book by its cover! If it all sounds perfect it probably is'nt. I hope I did not offend you but I spent over 14 years in fostering, rescue and adoptions! There is more to find out about a good home than people (adopters) just filling your ears with what you want to hear! Just had to throw in my 5 cents now!

Last edited by Blondie621; 08-26-2008 at 06:46 PM..

Old 08-26-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Everything sounds good Teddie except for him being an outside dog in a doghouse? Our rescue group would not allow that in a hot state like Texas. We definately do not believe in any dog living in a doghouse. But every rescue group has their own ideas of a good home I guess. I think Rescue Groups in Jersey are more critical. I would think twice on this home! Two males.....not a good idea! Hope they have the right dog there...people pull stuff on home checks....we have seen it all! We outsmarted many! Sometimes you think the dog is going one place when it ends up in another. We even caught people adopting some dogs and especially pits for someone else! Never judge a book by its cover! If it all sounds perfect it probably is'nt. I hope I did not offend you but I spent over 14 years in fostering, rescue and adoptions! Just had to throw in my 5 cents now!
The dog house isn't where he's staying; it was built for when their dog is outside. Heck my dogs stay outside more of the day than theirs. The dog they have now stays inside while they're at work and isn't outside that much. When they are gone he has a 4ft by 8ft crate and gets to watch tv on a 42" plasma. A bit spoiled much?

The two males thing did pull me for a loop though. He is the fourth males here where he lives and that's the least of anyone's problem.. He's not living with the pit either that's a family dog that he'll get to play with on visits. Plus Britches plays every week with new males and new pits. He loves every and all dog. He will be living with a young Great dane. And we're doing a homecheck this Friday.

I don't want anyone putting this family down. I never give my hopes up when it comes to talking with people because it's happened so many times, but if checking them out and my opinion that it's a good home isn't enough than we would never adopt out. We meet the people, look over the application, call refferences (not family) do a homecheck, make sure they get along. This is far from judging a book by it's cover.

You didn't offend me, but I don't want this to be a post trying to turn me off of a potential adopter either. This was a wonderful couple who love animals. They know the dedication of a pit and are happy to find a well mannered play buddy for their dog.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:50 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,277,160 times
I'm not usually into that breed or mix but I think he is gorgeous!!!!!
I love his colors and personality!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs