Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 02:12 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,792,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
No one can miss a crated pet. I use to think it was cruel until I had a hard time house training a puppy. I still have the crate and have bought another one as they love to crawl in for some time out. The doors are left open so they aren't locked in unless I'm training a foster dog.
That's another thing I neglected to mention: A crate trained dog is basically a house-broken dog. You'll have to give the dog a few reminders, but they learn very quickly not to eliminate in the crate and, by extension, in the house.

It really is a safety issue as well. Unless you work at home I just don't think that anyone can have a dog that is disciplined enough or well trained enough to be 100% trustworthy loose in the house. Any dog can get into trouble. I don't care if you've had eight years of good luck, if you have loose dogs you're just a heartbeat away from a thousand-dollar home repair, a poisoned dog, an electrocuted dog or an obstructed dog. You may get away with it forever and I'm sure a lot of people can rattle off a lot of reasons why it wouldn't happen to them, but if you are counting on any dog to make good decisions and be totally trustworthy, you're leaning on a house of cards.

I'm really not directing this at anyone, but I think it is much more likely that a dog will injure himself or cost you money while unattended in the house than burn to death/drown in a crate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 06:36 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,279,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
That's another thing I neglected to mention: A crate trained dog is basically a house-broken dog. You'll have to give the dog a few reminders, but they learn very quickly not to eliminate in the crate and, by extension, in the house.

It really is a safety issue as well. Unless you work at home I just don't think that anyone can have a dog that is disciplined enough or well trained enough to be 100% trustworthy loose in the house. Any dog can get into trouble. I don't care if you've had eight years of good luck, if you have loose dogs you're just a heartbeat away from a thousand-dollar home repair, a poisoned dog, an electrocuted dog or an obstructed dog. You may get away with it forever and I'm sure a lot of people can rattle off a lot of reasons why it wouldn't happen to them, but if you are counting on any dog to make good decisions and be totally trustworthy, you're leaning on a house of cards.

I'm really not directing this at anyone, but I think it is much more likely that a dog will injure himself or cost you money while unattended in the house than burn to death/drown in a crate.
my dog is loose in our house when we are gone and he sleeps.
childhood dog was as well bu only when they hit a maturity level. Leaving a up loose in a house is asking for trouble.
my dogs crate is always open and he goes in it often on his own.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:41 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,474,514 times
Reasons why I can't leave my dogs in my yard unsupervised:

1) DOG CAN GO OVER FENCE: We have a really sturdy 6 foot fence, but my younger dog is so springy she can jump high enough to get her head clear of it. If she was actually after something and not playing around, I'd expect her to clear it. I need to be there to tell her to stop.

2) DOG CAN GO UNDER FENCE: My other dog can dig under a fence in just a couple of minutes. We're placing large cement paving stones around the entire perimeter, as we had at our previous home, but I still won't leave them unsupervised because of reasons #1, #3 & #4.

3) DOGS WILL FIGHT: My dogs adore each other, but in certain situations they will fight. It can get very serious, very fast and I need to be there to break it up. It doesn't happen often, but when it does it's bad. So far, no blood has been drawn between these 2, but if I wasn't there to stop them, they'd be drawing blood .

4) DOG THEFT: My gates are locked from the inside 100% of the time, and I'm set back from the road enough that you'd really have to be making a huge effort to peek over my fence, but dogs do get stolen in my city and the ending isn't pretty . Dog-fighting is still alive and well in the SouthEast and the bait dogs are usually someone's pet stolen from a backyard.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:43 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,536,245 times
Our dogs are not left unattended in the backyard. We have a 6 ft privacy fence and live in a suburban neighborhood. Our fence gate is locked from the inside too. We have two area neighbors who are not animal friendly and sadly, we do not trust them (nor do some other neighbors). We do not want our dogs being blamed for barking (although they aren't barkers). Plus, a few of us are having problems with one neighbor and we don't want revenge taken out on our animals. You know, tossing poisoned meat or something similiar in our backyard. Plus, although we have mixed breed dogs, I do worry about pet theft. I think our dogs are the greatest therefore, I assume everyone wants our dogs (lol). Our dogs are free to roam in the house with our two cats. They are fully house trained and are non-destructive (thank goodness). They can be very intimidating to anyone who approaches the front door whom they do not know.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
my dog is loose in our house when we are gone and he sleeps.
childhood dog was as well bu only when they hit a maturity level. Leaving a up loose in a house is asking for trouble.
my dogs crate is always open and he goes in it often on his own.
Let me throw in a disclaimer -

Leaving a maltese / chihuahua / cavalier loose in the house is very different from leaving a border collie / labrador / german shepherd loose in the house.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:39 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,174,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Let me throw in a disclaimer -

Leaving a maltese / chihuahua / cavalier loose in the house is very different from leaving a border collie / labrador / german shepherd loose in the house.
Well, it all depends on how well your dog is trained. I have 2 GSDs and they stay inside, no crates, no mess. Breed has really nothing to do with it, it's the traininng that matters.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:18 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,536,245 times
Our two inside dogs are a 60lb Bordercollie x and a 75lbs Lab/Shep x. Well trained and non-destructive. I put our two big dogs up against a small dog any day (lol).

Old 09-02-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
Well, it all depends on how well your dog is trained. I have 2 GSDs and they stay inside, no crates, no mess. Breed has really nothing to do with it, it's the traininng that matters.
I was thinking more along the lines of dog size than breed. A bigger dog just has a bigger potential for big trouble.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:40 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,233,076 times
bigger dogs can get to things little dogs cannot and can cause damage a whole lot faster

I grew up in the country - no fences, no crates, depending on the dog and season it would either be outside or indoors during the day ........ we usually adopted older dogs and never really had issues with them being indoors

now I live in the city - have the standard 6' phx block fence and a pair of boxers - both of which we took on as puppies

we definitely crate trained them - the older is about 2 1/2 now and has been crate free for over a year - we dog proof our house before we leave and she mainly just sleeps, looks out the window, etc

before she would mess, freak out and tear up the house, do god knows what to the cat, chew, etc

our current puppy is even more of a handful and is also going through crate training - she's actually embracing the crate more than the older dog ever did

obviously the goal is to have her eventually weened from the crate

they respond to training, but still have that trademark boxer stuborness and training takes time to get it trustworthy

living in the city i would never think of leaving them outside during the day for the reasons mentioned above - living in phx I think it's borderline criminal given the heat

however, when we let them out to do their business we give them extra time to run and play and don't hang out there with them ......... they'll stay out maybe 30 minutes at a time and we'll peek periodically through the back window to make sure everything is OK - barking we can hear in the house and it's corrected

our older dog is a little more sneaky though - she loves to sun in the yard and 90% of the time if she's out there for a long period of time she's just laying there or rolling in the grass ........ it's that other 10% of the time when she thinks it's a good idea to dig a pit or eat a shrub that's a concern

Old 09-02-2008, 11:11 AM

30,364 posts, read 51,976,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
Seems like I read a lot of this lately?

For those that do, what are your reasons for not leaving your dog unattended in your yard, for any length of time?

- Assuming your yard is fenced or you have some e-collar.
My dog has access to the yard through a dog door, so I'm assuming he is out there unsupervised when I'm gone. The fence is very high and solid, and we live in a row house - so the only way someone could steal him is to jump from another yard over, and therefore it would have to be a neighbor (or friend of a neighbor). I think it would be obvious if Rudy was suddenly barking at me from a nearby yard! Not to mention, the people in this neighborhood simply wouldn't do that... most of them have small fluffy dogs (if any), and are afraid of Rudy's size. Oh, and Rudy would RUN back into the house if someone jumped in the yard. Therefore I'm not really worried about him being dog-napped, as shy as he is. So yes, he is unsupervised outside and very safe.

Last edited by gizmo980; 09-02-2008 at 01:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs