Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 06:10 AM

21 posts, read 95,752 times

Advertisements

Anyone have a good solution to help stop a dog from digging around the house? Problem areas are around foundation and flower beds. I've heard moth balls placed around the area help but that doesn't seem to work. Any other ideas or solutions people used/tried?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 06:38 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,524,687 times
Buried chicken wire? I use bricks put in fresh dug holes and replace dirt.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:48 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,533,188 times
I agree chicken wire helped our situation the best as did the bricks.

There is always burying the dogs poop in the holes they dug. Dogs don't like to touch their own poop. That worked for us...but we ended up getting the best results with the chicken wire. We've also used ground red pepper and dusted the area...the dog sniffs the area prior to digging and gets a burn in their nose...and obviously doesn't like it...and moves on. This works too, but we found that after a few days the spice lost it's intensity and required another dusting of the area. We used the spice for one of our dogs trying to fence fight a back neighbor's dog.

You need to be able to give your dog the option to dig somewhere in your yard. Some dogs have that as a natural instinct. You need to teach the dog what area is okay to dig. We have one area in our yard that our dogs do not get in trouble for digging...anywhere else is a no-no. We typically have a bag of cheap top soil on hand to level out or refill holes. We rarely use it, but it's nice to have just in case.

FYI, I have also heard that you shouldn't let your dog watch you refill the holes they dug...or they could possibly get the notion that it's a game with their owner. They dig and you fill it up.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:50 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
I had a couple of problem digger Dobermans over the years. I invested the time to follow them whenever they were out in the yard so I could be there when it started. It didn't take long at all to get them to stop, but I'll readily admit that Dobies make their humans look like expert dog trainers, they're so smart and eager to please.

As soon as they assumed the dig posture, I'd hit them with the command no, followed by positive reinforcement when they abandoned the idea. Lather, rinse, repeat, PRN.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:23 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
I put bricks or stones wherever I don't want them to dig, like a decoration. Behind foundation plantings, it doesn't really show. My fence is lined with stones and bricks b/c that's where they go and that's where I care!

Old 11-02-2008, 02:02 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,658,354 times
I have two diggers now. My Jenny Lab/Mix digs too! Her and Chyna are having a ball digging up everything in the yard! I know there are snakes back here and cats and squirrels. So I think they are digging for those under the deck, gazebo, outdoor bird cage, platforum where hot tub is etc. My Chyna is digging a huge part of the lawn in the back....it is all sand now. I know I can never stop them. We also have those hard shelled rats here too. I have to walk the perimiter of the property in the back once a week to make sure they are not digging out under the fence.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:44 PM

21 posts, read 95,752 times
Thanks for the advice.
Chicken wire might help in some area. Never heard of the dog poop thing might have to try that as well. Problem is the digging always happens when I'm not around. Don't mind the digging in some areas only in the flower beds and around the foundation.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:52 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,672,147 times
I would confine them in an area that is ok to dig in when they are not attended to. Dogs dig, that is a fact. I have a dig friendly area for mine. I will disclose that they are mini dashies. But good corrective training with positive reinforcement will win the day. Good luck

Old 11-04-2008, 10:41 AM

400 posts, read 1,238,064 times
Never had problems with diggers myself , but my mom had the champion of all diggers, she was a bichon. Whole family works in garden centers and we've found that hot pepper wax works great. It's a spray that you put on your plants that animals don't like. Keeps them off house plants too by the way.
We had a 1/2 husky 1/2 lab that we put in a sand box for him, this was the ONLY place in the yard he would do his business and was easy for us to clean up after him. Maybe he had a little cat in his family tree???

Old 11-06-2008, 03:55 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,337,159 times
I used to have an aussie that liked to dig. We were told that because of her breed, she needs to keep busy.
I started walking her a lot and after awhile, she stopped digging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs