Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2008, 08:28 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times

Advertisements

Found this list interesting. I knew about most of them...but not all!

‘People foods’ that can kill your pet - TODAY: Pets - MSNBC.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 01:06 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Found this list interesting. I knew about most of them...but not all!

‘People foods’ that can kill your pet - TODAY: Pets - MSNBC.com
Good info. to know...thanx for posting!

Old 10-08-2008, 09:38 PM

288 posts, read 918,040 times
Interesting.

One of my dogs LOVES avocado..the other eats it occasionally--neither has ever gotten even slightly ill from it. Noodle goes nuts for almonds...they're one of his favorite treats. Cookie loves them as well...but I have to chop them up for her as her mouth is too small to chew them herself. Neither has ever gotten sick from almonds.

I had actually fed Noodle grapes for years (he especially liked the skins) before I heard that they are "toxic" to "all" dogs. He looks mighty fine for a dead dog. I did quit giving them to him...but mainly because he started gulping them.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:25 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Over the years my dogs have eaten pretty much all those things people rant and rave about will kill your dog and none were ever sick due to eating people food nor died from it. Common sence would dictate that excessive amount of just about anything can cause adverse reactions but I have yet to find actual scientific studies proving any of these foods cause death in canines. The source of that article was from the today show and the information was collected from the ASPCA.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:31 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
If Avocado is dangerous what about Avoderm dog food as it has avocado in it??
I have always wondered that since hearing this and wonder if any of you know the answer?

There is a big Avocado tree that hangs over my parents fence so there are plenty of avocados that drop off when the tree is loaded with them and if someone does not get them first any of the dogs they have had over the years would eat about half of any avocado that hit the ground and none of them got sick.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:15 AM

Avocado is one of the foods that I had never heard. I think it is a matter of common sense, weight of the dog, and how much is consumed. I did have a girlfriend in Ca. whose collie ate an entire bag of chocolate candy bars...Holloween time, and died from it. Liver shut down.
I had a Golden who loved to pick and eat the grapes I had growing on a fence....He lived to the ripe old age of 16...

Old 10-09-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Over the years my dogs have eaten pretty much all those things people rant and rave about will kill your dog and none were ever sick due to eating people food nor died from it. Common sence would dictate that excessive amount of just about anything can cause adverse reactions but I have yet to find actual scientific studies proving any of these foods cause death in canines. The source of that article was from the today show and the information was collected from the ASPCA.
Here is an article from UCDavis in Ca. Definately a better source!

Scroll down to the second page on toxic foods for our pets!

http://www.vmth.ucdavis.edu/vmth/admin/pharmacy/Pharmacy%20Newsletter%20Vol%202-2%208-04.pdf (broken link)

It is an older article (2004) but makes the food no less toxic.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:34 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
A much better source, but it still goes back to quantity. I have always given my dogs some chocolate. A bite, not a pound. I wouldn't even eat an entire pound of chocolate at one sitting.

My old rotty's (past at the age of 18) favorite was friday movie night when we hat hot wings, and chips and salsa. She got the bones, and I would give her bites of ships with hot salsa.

My dad had a silly dog that ate acorns that had fallen off the trees.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:55 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Here is an article from UCDavis in Ca. Definately a better source!

Scroll down to the second page on toxic foods for our pets!

http://www.vmth.ucdavis.edu/vmth/admin/pharmacy/Pharmacy%20Newsletter%20Vol%202-2%208-04.pdf

It is an older article (2004) but makes the food no less toxic.
ShelbyGirl, That is a great article. Everyone should look at the human medications that are harmful to dogs. I'm really surprised at the last paragraph in that section which lists other human drugs to avoid. It even includes topically applied Vitamin A/D and antibiotic creams.

Here's another simpler list of foods. This list breaks it down to the symptoms that each food can cause in an easy to read format.

One of the big surprises to me has always been garlic which is included in so many foods as a flea deterrent.

Foods Which Are Dangerous for Dogs

Carob is a safe alternative for chocolate!

Last edited by World Citizen; 11-09-2008 at 07:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs