Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 03:34 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times

Advertisements

I know- I shouldnt have visited- there was a shar-pei mix I was thinking of adopting. It ws a small shelter but as they dont have alot of room- time for the dogs is limited-

When I first walked up, there was a beautiful collie dog- looked just like Lassie with a beautiful brown eyes. I feel like crying as I think of him. The owners just got tired of him- he is being euthanized at the end of this week-

Why do people do this? It is so upsetting.....

s.

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 05-15-2007 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 03:37 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,295,611 times
I have NEVER understood this either...it makes me sick to think of all the animals out there who are treated like this.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:41 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
I know- I shouldnt have visited- there was a shar-pei mix I was thinking of adopting. It ws a small shelter but as they dont have alot of room- time for the dogs is limited-

When I first walked up, there was a beautiful collie dog- looked just like Lassie with a beautiful brown eyes. I feel like crying as I think of him. The owners just got tired of him- he is being euthanized at the end of this week-

Why do people do this? It is so upsetting.....

s.
Find Collie rescue in your area quick. They'd want to know so they can save this dog.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:46 PM

I will try- there are alot of farms here- one problem- I guess people buy puppies for their children- then get tired of them. The dogs were so sweet- that collie is burned in my memory now.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:50 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
I am surprised that the shelter does not have contacts with area breed specific rescues. They absolutely should, it would save them $$! Please suggest that.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:54 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Why are there owners out there still letting dogs & cats have babies. When a simple spay saves millions of lives in the end...why are people paying high prices for mix breeds. I know a lady that paid $1000 for a lab/poodle mix, just to dump it in the pound when she discovered it still needed to be clipped every 2 mos. just like a poodle... ALL I can say is people are mean.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:05 PM

489 posts, read 2,014,593 times
That is why I never visit shelters anymore . . . not unless I can adopt a dog. I had to leave the last time I stopped in during an event taking place on shelter grounds because I couldn't handle all of those beautiful - but broken-hearted and lonely - dogs greeting me and wagging their tails when they saw me (when they would surely be put down any day if someone didn't adopt them). It made me cry. I was so embarrassed by my reaction. Even after a human has let them down in such a great way, it never ceases to amaze me that these trusting and loyal companions still offer friendship to us humans.

Please do something for that Collie. You'll never forgive yourself if you don't. Go get it and find a home for it, or just pick it up for relocating it to Collie Rescue or some other no-kill shelter or organization . . . or start your own!

Old 05-15-2007, 05:55 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,473,136 times
It is very amazing to me as well.
Just can't take em all home

our yellow lab mix was a streets of san fransisco scpa rescue. She was not adopted there and came to best friends up in utah. Then we found her and adopted brought her to az. then a black lab heinz 57 miz we adopted from a family whos elderly mom could not take care of him any longer.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:47 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Before I type out an answer, do you honestly want me to give you the "answers" I was given during more than 10 years of rescue? to the one who give excuses, not you

Old 05-15-2007, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedUpInFtMyers View Post
That is why I never visit shelters anymore . . . not unless I can adopt a dog. I had to leave the last time I stopped in during an event taking place on shelter grounds because I couldn't handle all of those beautiful - but broken-hearted and lonely - dogs greeting me and wagging their tails when they saw me (when they would surely be put down any day if someone didn't adopt them). It made me cry. I was so embarrassed by my reaction. Even after a human has let them down in such a great way, it never ceases to amaze me that these trusting and loyal companions still offer friendship to us humans.

Please do something for that Collie. You'll never forgive yourself if you don't. Go get it and find a home for it, or just pick it up for relocating it to Collie Rescue or some other no-kill shelter or organization . . . or start your own!

i know---- I have emailed many people - (OMG hubby may be a bit upset) but I almost want to go get that poor dog.....we have a big yard/pen now

These dogs deserve better- they are so loving- I have read most dogs have the IQ of a 3 year old- it should be a sin to abuse them! I will get some pix tomorrow, everyone- I have a hunch I will be rescuing that dog!!!!

sunny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs