Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 11:25 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,906,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
I resisted reading this thread after seeing it earlier today. It makes me sad and mad.
As sad as this thread is, it is necessary to increase awareness of abandoned pets' plight. Hopefully, more people would jump in and rescue these poor, defenseless creatures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 06:21 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,283,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
I resisted reading this thread after seeing it earlier today. It makes me sad and mad.
Yes, seething mad and a bit crazy as well.

All the fur babies on the profiles of this thread are so precious.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:53 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,254,412 times
I couldn't finish reading the OP.

Times are tough for us, yet we keep our pets, they are part of our family. Recently we even made a new addition to our family, my kids found an abandonded kitty, half-grown and half-starved. Yes, things are somewhat tight for us, but what truly does an animal need but some food, table scraps will do, clean water and a lot of love?

She's a fat, sassy kitty now, you'd never recognize her as the starved little thing we found! Honest, it doesn't take so much to keep a pet, you can do a lot, but just the basics, that's all they ask, and they give so much back!

Old 11-15-2008, 07:23 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,683,243 times
Why can't humans be spayed & neutered?

Why can't humans be put in Labs to test new procedures in search for cures for Diseases? Mice aren't like humans!

Why can't they empty the over-flowing jails and fill the LABS instead
so that cretins can give something back to society? If the jails weren't so full, perhaps sub-human-life-forms who abuse animals could have a cell waiting?

Old 11-15-2008, 08:20 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,666,962 times
All this animal abandonment and abuse makes me sad, sick and angry. Just today I had to go past this poor dog again on my way back from my sons house. I hate to turn my head and even look. He/She is a nice Lab/Mix chained to a tree by the road seperated by a chain link fence. This tree is way away from the side of the house. I saw today they put an old delapidated airline crate there for it to go in. The poor dog lays there 7 days a week 24 hours a day staring at the road. In the heat he/she lays there and pants terribly. UGH! I cry when I pass by there. I see this all over this horrible hot state of Florida. I also saw today, a cat over in my sons area squished between a glass livingroom window and a tight blind. The house looks abandoned. I think the cat was left behind. There is an old car in the driveway but I think that was abandoned too. I will get an address tomorrow and call someone. I have called before and people down here put animals at the way bottom of the list. Last week I was driving my son to work and a tiny chihuahua ran across a very busy main road. He made it but was running scared for his life. There was too much traffic and I had just gotten a flat tire, I could not even try to get him. UGH! People do not even slow down here when they see a dog running in or by the road. No one stops to help except me! This did not go on where I grew up in New Jersey, everyone took care of their pets. Makes me wanna go back home.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:27 PM

331 posts, read 1,385,299 times
that is just sad blondie! it is so heartbreaking to see things like that. Also angering that people can be that cruel.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:20 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,689,193 times
Sadly, here in the Inland Empire I see that a lot. I go home through downtown Riverside and will see dogs(mainly) running down the steet or trying to cross a busy street. I will stop and try to get them into my car but that doesn't work as they are too scared... I have MV and Riverside Animal control on speed dial on my phone...I hate to see this...I have seen dogs 'coupled' on the side of the roads out here running.. while it's a sight to see... it's heartbreaking.....no one seems to care...

Old 11-17-2008, 04:11 AM

290 posts, read 637,749 times
Here is a picture of two kittens my son and I found, next to a dumpster, on one hot July day.

They were just lying there, in the hot sun, dying...

One weighed four ounces, the other, six ounces:

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u16/gregg1971/Picture1.png (broken link)

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u16/gregg1971/Picture2.png (broken link)

We were able to save them and this is how they look today!!

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u16/gregg1971/IMG_6529.jpg (broken link)

The orange boy is Teddy and the other one is his sister Maggie.

Needless to say, they have both been spayed and neutered!

Old 11-17-2008, 04:31 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,419,471 times
What beauties, and how wonderful that you could save and love them.
Aren't there laws about leaving a dog on a chain for a certain amount of time, or under certain conditions? There are in Massachusetts. People here have told me that other states, especially southern, have a very poor attitude towards pet animals. Massachusetts has been so successful in dog spay/neuter that the shelters import puppies from other states, a "puppy lift," and also get a lot of hounds from southern states. You almost never see stray dogs.
Of course, that doesn't stop people from dumping dogs at shelters when they're not cute/don't match the couch/"we had a baby" and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs