Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 09:46 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,310,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Raggy dee Ann -- I realize that it's my problem, but I try my best not to let him see that I'm anxious. I've left him in our house with a sitter for a weekend, and he was great. This time, though, he has to be boarded because she's not available. And I'm concerned.

This is the super kind of place the facility is: Each dog's "room" has a run out back where they can be on their own outside. They also have doggie playtime every day, so that the dogs can play with each other (although my dog will just lunge and bark at all of them until he's dragged back to his room, I know that ). The rooms are shielded from each other in that each dog has his privacy. The owner said that he's still going to take my dog for playtime with the others and that if he really is a monster, he's going to work one-on-one with him. Really, it's a fantastic place. I just don't want my little guy to think that I've deserted him.

It's just that it's the first time -- for both of us -- and we're so used to be together all the time, so... I'm concerned.
It's a shame you can't find a sitter who will look after him in her/his home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 09:56 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
It's a shame you can't find a sitter who will look after him in her/his home.
All of my friends have pets of their own, and that would be a recipe for disaster as my handsome devil is just that... handsome AND a devil. He does NOT play well with others, and would need constant supervision if there was another animal in the house.

As for someone staying at my house, we did that one weekend, but that person isn't always available.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:04 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
A long time ago, I read an article by a behaviorist that said dogs have a concept of one day, maybe 2 days, but after that, it's just "long." I boarded my dog for a month and for 6 weeks another time (trips to Europe) and she was just as happy to see me as after the one-two week trips, nop difference. It sounds like a great place.

Although I prefer pet sitters (most vet techs do it), there have been times when I had to board (like when I had the floors refinished, I had to get out, too). I like having the dogs at home for safety of the house. But I think you will be surprised at how ell he does.

No long goodbyes, just let him see you walk out.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
No long goodbyes, just let him see you walk out.
No sobbing, huh? I guess I'll save that for the car trip home.

Thank you for telling me about your dog's six-week stay. (That must've been rough for YOU.) That makes this trip feel like 10 minutes now. Thanks!

Old 11-21-2008, 10:34 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,785 times
To the OP, I know how you feel. I travel a lot and my dog usually ends up in a kennel for four or five days each month. I found one that I like a lot, that has lots of doggie social time and sounds quite a bit like the one you've chosen. My dog loves it so much there that when we turn onto the road where the kennel is, she will start barking and wagging and whining in excitement to get there.

Soon as we walk in the door, she totally doesn't care that I'm leaving, she is eager and ready to go see the other dogs and play. Sure I still feel guilty from time to time for leaving her in a kennel while I'm gone, but she obviously loves it and is happy to be there.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
To the OP, I know how you feel. I travel a lot and my dog usually ends up in a kennel for four or five days each month. I found one that I like a lot, that has lots of doggie social time and sounds quite a bit like the one you've chosen. My dog loves it so much there that when we turn onto the road where the kennel is, she will start barking and wagging and whining in excitement to get there.

Soon as we walk in the door, she totally doesn't care that I'm leaving, she is eager and ready to go see the other dogs and play. Sure I still feel guilty from time to time for leaving her in a kennel while I'm gone, but she obviously loves it and is happy to be there.
I've heard stories like yours and I love, love, love it! It's just that my dog does not get along well with other dogs, so I don't think that he's going to be as excited about the place. Maybe he enjoys the lunging and barking at them, but I somehow don't think so -- I think it's fear aggression, so I hope that the trainer/behaviorist can get him to be somewhat more social while he's there.

Thank you for confirming that some dogs love it -- I hope my guy will end up having fun too.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:12 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,684,083 times
To the op, I had the same fears when it came time to board out my dogs. Two of them I knew would be fine but I was worried that my Archie would be a basketcase without me. Ha on me. That sucker was in the swimming pool at the pet resort before I pulled out of the driveway. They all ended up have a grand old time and now look forward to getting rid of me so they can go play with all the new friends they make each time. Trust me. It is much harder on us than it is on them.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
To the op, I had the same fears when it came time to board out my dogs. Two of them I knew would be fine but I was worried that my Archie would be a basketcase without me. Ha on me. That sucker was in the swimming pool at the pet resort before I pulled out of the driveway. They all ended up have a grand old time and now look forward to getting rid of me so they can go play with all the new friends they make each time. Trust me. It is much harder on us than it is on them.
That's fabulous! I love it!!!

If only my dog would get along with other dogs, I'd have less fear. I just wonder if it's going to cause him more anxiety. He's not the friendliest crayon in the box, and every time we come across another dog, it's a lunge and continual barking. I just don't want what COULD be a fun time for him to turn him into a ball of stress.

You're so right, though -- it's is much harder on us, that's for sure. Because I know I'm coming back to get him; he has no idea what's going on and if we'll ever be back together again. I just wish I could explain it all to him.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:36 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
That's fabulous! I love it!!!

If only my dog would get along with other dogs, I'd have less fear. I just wonder if it's going to cause him more anxiety. He's not the friendliest crayon in the box, and every time we come across another dog, it's a lunge and continual barking. I just don't want what COULD be a fun time for him to turn him into a ball of stress.

You're so right, though -- it's is much harder on us, that's for sure. Because I know I'm coming back to get him; he has no idea what's going on and if we'll ever be back together again. I just wish I could explain it all to him.
Well, it might be YOUR presence that is causing him to do that, since he knows you're uncomfortable around other dogs. He senses that, and he goes into defense mode to assert his authority. If he's someplace that he doesn't think he has to protect you, where there is obviously a strong authority figure who seems calm, he may very well socialize just fine with the other dogs.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Well, it might be YOUR presence that is causing him to do that, since he knows you're uncomfortable around other dogs. He senses that, and he goes into defense mode to assert his authority. If he's someplace that he doesn't think he has to protect you, where there is obviously a strong authority figure who seems calm, he may very well socialize just fine with the other dogs.
I think that you're partially right.

Some background on him: He was abused when he was a pup and a trainer told me that he's a classic bully, likely because of this. The trainer also told me that he has two choices in a situation -- fight or flight -- and when we're walking, and we come across another dog, because he's on-leash, I've removed the flight option and he feels like he's left with fight. Rather than play.

Also the trainer told me that he's probably protective over me. When my friend brought her dog over, we had the dogs out in the fenced in yard, no leashes. He was a meanie.

I'm hoping that you're right -- when I'm not there and the facility's trainer is, I'm hoping that my furry friend will adjust and be the social animal I know he has the capability of being (like he is with me).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs