Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 10:58 AM

50 posts, read 187,333 times

Advertisements

Oh wow you just described my childhood. I grew up with white carpet (even in kitchen and bathrooms) white walls, 5 siblings and two dogs. I'm not going to lie to you-----lots of maintenance! First of all get yourself an inexpensive small handheld carpet cleaner. I use the Bissell Green Machine. It's inexpensive, easy to use and does a great job! Use it for spots and frequently traveled area's (halls and the area were your dog sleeps mostly) this alone will cut down having to shampoo all the carpets. Keep your dog bathed atleast once a month. Keep the dog brushed, lots of dirt comes off an animal just by frequent brushing. VACUUM EVERYDAY, this also picks up alot of the dirt in the heavy used area's. Yep, get the plastic runners. They won't look that bad, they blend better with light carpet. Keep your dog's paws clean. We had to clean our dog's paws everytime we let him in the house. Paper towel and soap works just fine. If any more idea's come to me I'll pass them along. You can do it. It seems like alot of work at first but soon it all just turns into habit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 11:11 AM

892 posts, read 2,371,958 times
Keeping the hair on the pads of a dogs feet clipped helps a whole lot. If they have hair there they track in more stuff.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:51 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
3 houses all w/ white carpet. ALWAYS had 2 dogs and still do. My carpets always looked GREAT! How?

1. NEVER STEAM CLEAN THEM!!!! It removes the stainguard protection. Only have them dry cleaned. I've used the same guy in all 3 houses for 15 years now. One time my daughter got red lipstick on the carpet and he got it out. He also got up the HORRIBLE mess left by our dearly beloved 80 lb Dalmatian once when he got an upset stomach (after I first donned a Hazmat suit to get the surface stuff cleaned up ).

2. For those pee stains... and other stains made by us humans and those kids that run thru here calling me "mom"......... LOTS of white hand towels. Dab it up first w/ a white towel then some water mixed w/ liquid dishwashing soap and pour some on it or spray on it and then put a white handtowel folded a few times on top of it and leave it (after I stand on it to put lots of extra weight). The stain will naturally wick to the top and into the towel. NEVER scrub a stain as it will only push it down into the carpet only to at some time rise to the surface. Even for liquid spills and doggie wet spots you can put some baking soda on it and let it aborb some, vacuum up and then do the towels.

3. I also have one of those small Bissell spot lifters. It works okay but the two above are by far the best.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:55 AM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Default Thanks!!

Wow... thanks for all the great responses!! I haven't been online much, so I apologize for not responding sooner, but these are all fabulous. I'll definitely save this thread for the future, so I can refer back when my doggie (or myself) makes a mess. A few of you mentioned the Bissell cleaner, so I'll definitely look into getting one of those. I have an awesome "shop vac", which should take care of the non-staining messes. But to be honest, I'm a pretty lazy housekeeper, so chances are low of a daily vacuuming - LOL. And luckily my dog is short-haired, so I don't really have to brush or clip him... he does get a monthly bath (or more if needed), so hopefully the natural dirt won't be too bad.

I met with the landlord today (to get the keys!), and he offered free professional cleaning once a year... he has 2 dogs of his own, so was very understanding of my worries. I also noticed the rug downstairs, where my bedroom & the outdoor-access is, has a slightly older and darker carpet - which is a good thing, since Rudy will spend more time there. And the front entryway is tiled, so at least that will be easy to keep clean. Anyway, thanks again for the GREAT suggestions, and I'll keep you updated. Also thanks for the compliments, which I have to say are accurate... it's a gorgeous house, and I'm extremely excited to move!! I have more pics of it, if anyone wants to see.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:12 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Wow, sounds like you have a great landlord--how nice.
Enjoy your new place.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:36 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,593 times
Folex spot remover, I have a 3yr old and boy can he find intersting things to do with gren crayon on a light carpet. Took it right up and its safe around kids and pets. Seriously the stuff is a life saver can pick up coffee, juice mud greas whatever.Its real easy to use you can find it at wallmart or anyother place.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmieyky View Post
Congrats on your new place. Looks like Better Homes and Gardens! I am so happy for you.

Guess the job is going great!?

Good for you - Kimmiey
Thanks! I can't take credit for the furnishings, since that's the landlord's pic... my stuff might not look as "Martha Stewart" in there, but it's still a darned cool house. It has 3 bedrooms & 2 full baths, garage, washer/dryer, yard, etc., and is only minutes from my work. I have to get a roommate, though, since the rent is pretty steep (though actually quite good for SF). I can't wait to move, but wish I could do it without actually MOVING, if you get my drift.

I just started my job this week, and so far it's going great - thanks for asking! It's keeping me extremely busy, plus I had orchestra tonight, so I'm dead tired - but still awake at 2:30am, since my body is having some trouble adjusting. Unfortunately I won't have much time for city-data anymore, but I'll still check in whenever I can! And to get even more off-topic, how are you doing lately?? I've been meaning to PM you, so feel free to respond in mail...

Old 03-01-2007, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Wow, sounds like you have a great landlord--how nice.
Enjoy your new place.
Thanks... and yeah, he seems pretty cool! But they all are before you move in, right? At least he's a dog owner, like my current landlord, which makes them a bit more sympathetic.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:59 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingfortheperfectplace View Post
Keeping the hair on the pads of a dogs feet clipped helps a whole lot. If they have hair there they track in more stuff.
this is so true our greyhounds hardley ever track in stuff they don't have "fuzzy feet"
now lola on the other hand our spaniel/jack russel/crazy mix has very "fluffy feet" yesterday she got into the garden and her feet and legs were covered in mud I used the hose to spray it off (she didn't like this lol )
I have even tried keeping a container of water by the back door to dip their feet but wouldn't you just know that Lola would think it was her personal water bowl

I love it when she stands at the back door with her dirty feet and that " look how cute I am" look on her face
I have a really good carpet cleaner I pull out a few times a year and vaccum eveyother day this seems to help.

as michelleleigh said FOLEX is my best friend it is amazing what it can get out.
another hint if you are replacing your carpets get the padding that has the mosture barrier on top it really makes a difference as spills or "accidents" can't get in to the pad.

karla
who keeps saying she is goingto get "dirt" colored carpet next time

Old 03-22-2007, 08:26 AM

489 posts, read 2,015,248 times
I've used all of these methods to keep carpet clean with a dog, and they work wonderfully!

It is GREAT of the landlord to let you move in with a dog - especially in a place with such light carpet. I think we would all love to see the other pics that you have of the place. Looks absolutely stunning!

Last edited by FedUpInFtMyers; 03-22-2007 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs