Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Animal rights: pittbull, dog attacks, training pit bull terriers, pet breed.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 01:38 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,173,578 times

Advertisements

Here are a couple pics of Desy when we first got her. Look how tiny she was and tell me, who in their right mind could be scared of her?!

This was when we first brought her home from the vet. She was still skinny and sick, but doing 100 times better than she originally was. Oh, and she weighed 3.5 pounds!

And here she is with Brooklyn when she finally started to put on some weight and grow a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 09:06 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
That is a funny story! It really is sad that so many people really believe all of the crazy "pit bull" myths! I only hope one day things will change for the better for these wonderful breeds!

Oh, I have a funny/crazy (well, and very sad) story as well! It's really long though, so I'm going to try to keep it as short as possible. Okay, so as I have said a few times now, we currently own 1 APBT, Brooklyn, but we use to own 3. Brooklyn was the 1st dog my husband and I got together. We bought him from a breeder when he was about 8 weeks old. After he got a bit older and we saw just how wonderful this breed really was, we decided we wanted a 2nd APBT. So, we told all of our friends that we were looking for another APBT and we started looking at shelters. Anyway, long story short, we ended up buying Desy from a backyard breeder, but only because she was the last puppy they had and she looked sooo sick! After we saw her we just couldn't leave her! We were told she was 8 weeks old, but she was so tiny! You could see basically every bone in her body! After we got her, we took her to the pet store to buy her some stuff. I was holding her in my arms, all wrapped up in a small blanket, and she wasn't even really moving because she was so sick and so week. While my husband was looking around the store a lady came up to me and asked if she could pet Desy. Of course I told her she could, and while she was petting her the lady asked me how old she was and then what breed she was. I told her she was 8 weeks old and she was an APBT. The second I said APBT the lady yanked her hand back and literally jumped back a few feet like Desy was going to take her arm off or something! The lady then started yelling at me and asking me if I was crazy! It's been so long now that I don't remember her exact words, but she was telling me all of the crazy crap she had heard about "pit bulls". It really pissed me off, but I just kind of let it go and we bought our stuff and left.

After the pet store, because Desy was still acting so miserable, we got her to an emergency vet. Again, to keep this story as short as possible , we were basically told that if we hadn't bought Desy and got her to the vet when we did, she would have definitely died! We were told that she wasn't 8 weeks, she was more like 6 weeks old, and she hadn't been fed or given any water in a while. She had fleas, almost every worm in the book and she was severely dehydrated! We ended up having to leave her at the vet for several days so she could be treated for the fleas and the worms, so she could get fluids and meds, and so she could have a blood transfusion. After all was said and done, Desy got better and has been happy and healthy ever since. But, it still amazes me to this day how someone could be so scared of Desy, especially when she was that young and that sick, simply because of her breed! It's just so sad to me!
That woman is the exact reason why I like dogs better than people. The only people I like are animal lovers..... Glad Desy got better, thanx to a good person like you. I can only imagine how many other pups suffer without help! UGH!

Old 01-14-2009, 08:25 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,046,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
Here are a couple pics of Desy when we first got her. Look how tiny she was and tell me, who in their right mind could be scared of her?!

This was when we first brought her home from the vet. She was still skinny and sick, but doing 100 times better than she originally was. Oh, and she weighed 3.5 pounds!

And here she is with Brooklyn when she finally started to put on some weight and grow a bit.
Cute babies.

Thank you for saving their lives!

Old 01-25-2009, 03:06 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
Default Just got this email....

Sports rumor has it that michael vick will be playing next year with the san francisco 49"ers...

Can't imagine the protests, starting at training camp and through the entire season!!!

Old 01-25-2009, 03:37 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Funny story, the meter reader came into the yard and my Princess was outside....all of a sudden he spots her and she is sooo sweet and loves everyone....well he quickly takes his shirt off and waves it like he is fighting off a bull with it. Trying to scare her off while he backed out of the gate to the yard! Shame this breed continues to get a bad rap due to those idiot people that abuse them and make their only recourse of speaking out, to bite!
One of my past mail delivery carriers wouldn't deliver my mail if any of my dogs were out in the yard. Past bad experiences caused him to be cautious and fear ALL dogs, big and small on his routes. Not really a funny situation imo. I think it wise that delivery and meter readers act so cautiously around dogs they don't know and aren't secured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs