Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 08:44 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
He has a disclaimer on his show that you should not use these techniques without a trainer. And we only see part of the training, no show has the time to show absolutely everything.
Took the words right out of my mouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 11:32 AM

403 posts, read 1,325,557 times
I like Cesar a lot too. We have used many of his techniques with much success. The only thing we haven't been able to figure out is how the heck he gets dogs to walk at a heel! If only our dogs would stop pulling I'd be one happy camper!

Old 02-08-2009, 03:25 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,271,403 times
We see nothing wrong with Cesar. He's great at what he does.
We have had Rotts for over 25 years now. Rotts can be very stubborn, but we have to let our Rott know from the get-go who is boss. We use Cesar techniques, but then we've had Rotts way before the Cesar Milan techniques were ever made.
We don't abuse or hit our dogs. It's in your tone. Training is key when it comes to any dog big or small, and to stay with it.

Last edited by Sillypups; 02-08-2009 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-08-2009, 09:30 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
Here is why people dislike the guy:

"Dominance" myth

Dog Whisperer, Dog Psychology and Cesar Millan

Old 02-08-2009, 10:02 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
I watch The Dog Whisperer often and enjoy it. I admit there are times when he grabs a dogs that I feel worried and sad for the dog, but then you see the results and there is no denying them. You can tell these dogs are not frightened of him so he must not be traumatizing them. I think the end product is great and that is all you can ask for.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:53 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,830,047 times
I like Cesar Milan, I think he has a lot of good advice. We hired a personal trainer last Oct and a lot of what he told us and what we do match to Cesar.

I have tried poking him and shushing him like Cesar but that just gives him the fiesties.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:59 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,830,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddog905 View Post
I like Cesar a lot too. We have used many of his techniques with much success. The only thing we haven't been able to figure out is how the heck he gets dogs to walk at a heel! If only our dogs would stop pulling I'd be one happy camper!
Try a pinch collar and make sure that you give the command, then wait a couple seconds to see if they mind, if not then the correction with the collar.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:15 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I don't think his techniques would be at all workable with a shy/frightened/feral dog.

For what it's worth, I once "tried it at home" against my better judgment, and guess what, the dog bit me. Imagine that. Now when he bares his teeth at completely weird times and triggers, I get that he's warning me off, and I leave him alone. Who wants to pet a dog with bared teeth anyway?

Old 02-10-2009, 05:31 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,954,669 times
I like Cesar very much. He's very knowledgable and very compassionate towards dogs. There would be many dogs put to sleep if it weren't for him.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:20 AM

1,691 posts, read 3,851,527 times
Not all dogs will respond to his type of training. shy/frightened/feral dogs should not be treated the same as aggressive/domineering/alpha dogs. Even Milan states and shows that. Leadership does not mean dominence and command does not mean leadership. Just poking at the neck of a dog does not always work with all dogs. My shepard/Rott mix is the first dog I have had troubles training. She is 80 pounds of bull force and she knows it. Just trying try Ceasers basic techniques didn't work, read the Smart Dog books and they never worked. What does work is constant companionship and making sure my head is dominent over her shoulders often and on the few situations I would grab her neck and almost toss her to the ground like her mother would have done if she was bad. Does she always listen. NO but it is working out slowly. Now she is two years old and settled down and wants to learn how to behave. I even teach her how to crawl which I wouldn't have been able to do a year ago.
I truely believe there is not one way to train a dog but if your personality doesn't lead to actual leadership then training for the trainer is what is really needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs