Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2009, 12:08 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,050,540 times

Advertisements

Oh help. I have just found out the people who own the house behind me, are moving back in. We were SOoooo thrilled when they had moved out last summer to try and rent out their house. Because of their dogs. They have 2 of them. One full pit, and one pitmix. And they are terrible to the poor things. They have them kept in a very small kennel area in the back yard, that bumps right up against the fence seperating our properties. (they built/own the fence btw) anyhow, these poor neglected dogs, i dont blame them, i know its because of the way theyve been raised/treated. but omg....first off, they do NOT want to be in this kennel. So they have chewed through the fence. Several times. They then, get into our yard, torture our dogs, or our KIDS!!!, poop in our yard, and then run loose throughout the neighborhood. We have spoken to them about this numerous times. We have called the cops and animal control. They have been warned and fined. again and again. And it does NO good.
the second major issue, is they howl. and bark and howl and bark. And about 3blocks away, is the ambulance bay. oh yeah. so, the 10x a night the ambulances put on their sirens and out they go, it sets the dogs to howling, for a good 5 min. AT LEAST. then a car will go by, and they will bark and bark and bark and bark and bark and bark and bark. Then a police car will go by w/their sirens on, and we're back to howling. And get this, these dogs are SO senstitive, we put on an experiment. I stood in my kitchen, with the windows CLOSED and clapped my hands. The dogs went nuts. sigh. My oldest daughter was literally reduced to tears when i told her they were coming back. She cried and said "but they bark and howl all night and i cant sleep and then im exauhsted the next day, EVERY DAY!!!!" And I agree. we get very little sleep with these dogs. Plus, if the kids go out to play in the back yard, the dogs are going crazy at the fence the whole freaking time, barking, growling, attacking the fence. The kids are scared and frankly, me too!!! I dont want my kid mauled by these dogs who the owners keep assuring us "Theyre SO friendly!! They'd NEVER bite anyone!! Theyre such NICE dogs!!" ya right. Most of the neighbors have tried different approaches with these people. Anyone here have any good ideas? please help. My husband is threatening to try and capture them when they end up on our yard again, and take em to an out of county animal shelter. (they keep paying the fines and getting em back from this one. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 12:34 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,430,742 times
I sure don't have much to offer, except my sympathies.
I think, if I were truly afraid for the safety of my kids and dogs, I would put up a re-enforcement fence...maybe chain link, so when they do come thru the fence, at least, the second fence might keep them where they belong. It might not look pretty, but at least you and yours will be safe from being bitten.
There has got to be some enforcement agency that can help you! Hopefully, someone here can help with a solution.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:42 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,588,192 times
Yikes...what a crappy situation to be in. You mentioned the other neighbors have also tried talking to them in the past...maybe you could all join forces and go talk to these idiots, let them know that if things dont change they will have to contend with all of you this time around...? Trapping them and taking them to another shelter will probably mean their death...there are already too many pitt & pitt mixes who need homes. I think what I would do would be to try to find people willing to take them in advance (if nothing else works...) and then do the capture thing. These dogs deserve a better life. Poor babies. Some people should not have pets!!!

Old 02-17-2009, 01:40 PM

216 posts, read 682,356 times
Forget trying to reason with people like this...you need help. Don't wait for a tragedy....an attack on a child or other pet....to do something.

Your profile says coos bay, oregon, so I found a link to your animal control ordinances...

Coos Bay, Oregon

Your neighbors have broken several ordinances, and can be fined up to $500.00 for each infraction.
Here is a link to your city government...

City of Coos Bay, OREGON :: coosbayonline.com ::

You will find contact info for your mayor and city selectmen. Contact them and raise h*ll! Ask why the municiple code in not being enforced. Threaten to contact the local media of the situation is not addressed.

Also, find your local contact information for the humane society...if these animals are being neglected, the owners could be reported, fined, or even have the dogs taken away.

Good luck, and don't give up....take action. These situations will never resolve themselves, trust me, I have been there. No one should have to live like this...get your city officials involved.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:48 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,050,540 times
Thank you thank you and Thank you!!!!!
Im hoping with all Ive got, that the dogs have gone on to a new home, or something. I dont think the neighborhood they moved to would have put up w/them at all. (they were in an exremely wealthy neighborhood)
but, if they have them still, and things appear to be the same as before, Im all over this!!! Im shocked at how many time I, and others, called the local animal control and all and told them how awful they were being treated, and still, nothing done. Im thinkin bout taking video too of when they get really bad and using that w/the mayor/city people. Maybe a petition too.....I hate to be such a meanie, but come on folks... I wonder WHY WHY WHY do people like this have/keep dogs??!?!? sigh.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:53 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,430,742 times
I agree, there is no reasoning with folks such as these. In "taking" the dogs...people like this will just replace the animals. I also would fear retaliation and the safety of your dogs. Poisoned meat thrown over the fence, etc.
Take that video, and go to the authorities listed. And keep your dogs safely hidden for the time being. Yeesch...what a way to live! Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 02-17-2009, 01:55 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
Keep calling animal control untill they get tired of coming out and they will take the dogs away from these obviously ignorant dog owners . I had to do this in my old hometown . I called at least 30 times on these people and the animal control finally got tired of coming out and they told the owners if they had to come out again they were taking the dogs no ifs and or buts about it . Well guess what they finally came out and got them and I was so relieved because i could not afford to move . so my advice to you is to be persistant and call away as many times as it takes . as the old saying goes the squeeky wheel gets the grease . good luck to you .

Old 02-17-2009, 02:00 PM

216 posts, read 682,356 times
Your welcome...I found out a long time ago that, if you want to get anything done in my town, you need to rattle the cages of some local officials. AC in my town has often been a joke. It's only when you get your local alderman/selectmen and the mayors office involved that anything happens.

Keep a file of dates and times you call AC, pictures and videos if at all possible. Try to get as many neighbors as you can who share your concerns to join you. You can ask for a meeting with your board of selectman and the mayor....let them know you are as serious as a heart attack, and will not tolerate the city to continue its lack of enforcement.

If you don't get action immediately, contact a local reporter and news outlet.

I lived for years in fear of a neighbors dog...her college student daughter would occasionally bring it home on visits and let it run loose, terrorizing our neighborhood. I wish I knew then what I know now, I would have handled things differently.

Good luck to you.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:17 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,695,883 times
Wow..what a situation. Its ashame that a human being owns a dog and treats them like that. They dont deserve to have a pet. With all the great advice that was given to you here i think your well on your way to correcting it. Best of luck to you.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:56 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,664,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
Yikes...what a crappy situation to be in. You mentioned the other neighbors have also tried talking to them in the past...maybe you could all join forces and go talk to these idiots, let them know that if things dont change they will have to contend with all of you this time around...? Trapping them and taking them to another shelter will probably mean their death...there are already too many pitt & pitt mixes who need homes. I think what I would do would be to try to find people willing to take them in advance (if nothing else works...) and then do the capture thing. These dogs deserve a better life. Poor babies. Some people should not have pets!!!
I agree with you. The likely hood of them getting adopted because of their breed is very low. Hate to say it. They would most likely be put down. I would try to find them homes and make them disappear one day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs