Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 10:33 AM

350 posts, read 1,117,717 times

Advertisements

I have a new puppy, she's 8 weeks old. I want to crate train her, so I'm waiting for her to have more bladder control (another 2 weeks or so), then I want to start crate training her.

My question is this: do I buy a crate that will accomodate her as she grows (she'll end up being about 70 lbs), or do I buy a small crate that has to be updated?

I've had a million dogs, just never crate trained them before.

Thanks and any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 10:38 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
Buy the biggest crate you can. And make sure it is a very good sturdy one. I always kept my foster pups in a baby playpen and my own with wee wee pads and some soft blanket. I kept it in my bedroom. I think they are the safest place for tiny pups. Also make sure their tiny nails are clipped at the very edge so they do not get them caught in anything, like towels blankets etc.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:39 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,740,833 times
I think you need to crate as you go. Dogs need the "den" effect around them, especially puppies, so they feel safe.

You're at an advantage because you have a puppy who really has no reason to be wary of the crate. I had read much literature about coddling and training to make dogs want to go into a crate. My dog not a puppy when I got him and did not like it the crate and exhibited a lot of anxiety when I put him in it.

A friend who raises dogs told me: Put the dog in the crate,and leave the house (work or whatever). By the time I got home, he was used to it. I still put my dog in it whenever I go out. As soon as he sees me putting on my makeup, he automatically runs to the crate.

Had to edit because I saw Blondie's post. Seems to work well for Blondie's dog. I still tend to think they prefer the size that makes them feel secure.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:40 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
They make crates with dividers, so you only need to buy one and adjust the divider as she grows. We bought this one before our pup came home, but got rid of it since we decided to not crate him. It was great quality and had a crate pad/divider. And what kind of puppy? Pictures, please!

Costco - Titan Two-door Dog Crates With Crate Pad & Divider Panel

Old 03-04-2009, 10:55 AM

Thanks! She's an Old English Sheepdog, black & white, looks like a little panda bear. She has black freckles on her pink nose and is so sweet. I'll post pics as soon as I can. Thanks for the input and thanks for the Costco link. I love Costco!

Old 03-04-2009, 10:59 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
It's very important to remember that crate training is a process. You can't just put the pup in the crate and close the door. EVERYTHING good should happen in that crate: feeding, treats hidden in the bedding, etc. And if you get a big crate without dividers you can use cardboard boxes to block off the area that isn't yet needed!

Here's how to crate train your dog: Crate training instructions (http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/our_pets_for_life_program/dog_behavior_tip_sheets/crate_training.html - broken link)

Old 03-04-2009, 10:59 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,868,386 times
Default Crating a Dog

Although I am not a big advocate of crating a dog, a lot of people do. I have a family member who crates her dog all day while she is at work and every time she goes out on top of that. Way too much time in the crate. I understand that dogs kind of like that private space all their own yet in the same sense I feel that it wouldn't take much to train a dog to behave in the first place. Isn't that the reason a dog gets crated so it won't get into stuff? Pee on the floor?

If I were to buy a crate for a puppy I think I would more than likely buy one that will accomodate his size when he gets older. Why shop twice for a crate? Until the pup gets big enough to fill up the crate, load it down with soft blankets to take up the extra space.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:02 AM

603 posts, read 1,947,700 times
Crate training is excellent to do.I have three puppies right now and they all have their own crate and they love it.I keep the crates in my bedroom.My two pitbull puppies have been going in it since they were 8 weeks old.Theyre 6 months now.At first they obviously cried but now they go right in if i leave the door open.They go in at night and when i am at work.We do not put any water or food in with them because you do not want them to go to the bathroom in it.Put a nice blanket down and a toy or two.Just make sure the toys are safe.You dont want them chewing one then eating it.Eventually they will think of it as a good safe place.You want them to associate it with good things.I give them their kongs to keep them busy.Those things last forever.I used to put the peanut butter in them but now with the recalls forget that.My St bernard puppy is 10 weeks and he hasnt cried once believe it or not.Be patient though.Be prepared for sleepless nights.Its all worth it though.Good luck!

Old 03-04-2009, 01:01 PM

We have an older OES, she's housetrained and pretty much has the run of the house. We're watching her train the puppy, which is hilarious. Right now puppy is in the laundry room at night and she doesn't cry at all. During the day, both dogs are outside. They have plenty of room to run and a huge patio for shelter and a box for puppy to go into if she's cold or just wants to get away from it all. When we get home from work (4:30p), dogs are in and spending time with us. When we're ready for bed, puppy (Bindi) goes to the laundry room and Lily goes whereever she wants.

I want to get her used to a crate because right now she pees all over the laundry room, knocks over her food and water, and just basically trashes it. Every morning I'm in there with the mop cleaning up. So, once she has a little more control, I'm hoping she'll stay in the crate until morning and I won't have this huge mess to deal with.

Thank you everyone for the advice and links.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:17 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,181,746 times
There's no place in the house as comfortable as their crates - we made sure of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs