Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 01:18 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times

Advertisements

Sooooo, my dog is officially a complete dumba$$! Rudy and I were just on a walk, and I let him off leash where I always do (at a dead-end street)... he ran down the alley as usual, and then stopped & began rubbing his face on the ground. I figured he just caught a strong dog or cat scent, but he was really digging into the ground - so I called him back, and when he came towards me I noticed foam coming out of his mouth.

Then I caught the STRONG and horrible smell of a skunk, right about when I saw that little sucker running down the street. We have 2-3 skunks who've been living in the neighborhood for a while, stinking up the place on a regular basis. Now my dog's face was covered in their lovely odor, and he was starting to shake his head & foam profusely... I rushed him home, and promptly washed his face with cold water, followed by a long coconut-scented bath. The foaming stopped as soon as I washed his face/mouth, and after a good attack of the crazies and more head-rubbing, he's now settling down. Anyone have tips for killing the smell, which is permeating the house? And is there anything else I should do for him? Oy vey!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 02:13 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,171,437 times
Some folks say washing with tomato juice will kill the smell on the victim or their clothes, fur, etc.
If the dog has rubbed itself against furniture, rugs, and so on you might have a bit of a chore and I don't think I'd want to try to use tomato juice on that stuff.
My son's dog got sprayed and he didn't let the dog in the house untill it was de-stunk. He gave it a tomato juice bath in the garage.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:30 AM

Yeah, that's what my roommate said to do... we don't have any tomato juice, but I'll get some if the smell doesn't go away. I think the house smells worse than the dog!

Old 03-06-2009, 04:49 AM

Okay, maybe I'm the dumb one... I was just thinking about it, and it's possible he DID get sprayed by the skunk. As I said, he was off-leash, and I actually took my eyes off him for a minute (looking for my wandering cat). Then I saw the skunk running down the street, just before I noticed Rudy rubbing the ground. So maybe he was trying to get the spray off, rather than rubbing it on himself? Duh. Either way, it stinks to high heaven in here.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:01 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
I bet if you were your little 4 legged buddy and got sprayed, you'd be rubbing your face on the ground, on the pavement, against a tree, ANYTHING to get rid of all that! lol

Old 03-06-2009, 06:25 AM

1,477 posts, read 7,911,038 times
We have skunks, too. This is what I use:

1 large bottle of 3% hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda and a spoonful of Dawn dishwashing detergent (other brands would work, too). Wet Rudy and skim off excess water. Mix and pour it over Rudy and rub it in well. For the face, use a washcloth and avoid the eyes. Rinse really well with very warm water. You may have to repeat the washing, so buy two bottles of the hydrogen peroxide.

If you have any mixture left over, don't keep it. It will expand and pop the container.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:45 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,534,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
We have skunks, too. This is what I use:

1 large bottle of 3% hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda and a spoonful of Dawn dishwashing detergent (other brands would work, too). Wet Rudy and skim off excess water. Mix and pour it over Rudy and rub it in well. For the face, use a washcloth and avoid the eyes. Rinse really well with very warm water. You may have to repeat the washing, so buy two bottles of the hydrogen peroxide.

If you have any mixture left over, don't keep it. It will expand and pop the container.
This is the recipe we use here too. One of our dear friends was sprayed while walking across her work's campus early one morning (lol). She said it took two months to get the smell out of her car. She basically had to constantly crack her car windows to get it to air out.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:50 AM

1,477 posts, read 7,911,038 times
My Eskie LOVED to torment skunks. The other dogs would cut them a wide berth, but the Eskie was far braver--or stupider, not sure which--and sometimes would get sprayed.

Double coated dogs are beautiful but de-skunking them is a real project! There was a faint residual smell for weeks after.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:21 AM

400 posts, read 1,238,511 times
Our golden found a dead one to roll in - smart, right?!?!
Anyway, hubby brought him home from the walk, hooked him up outside and came in all shame-faced to find out what to do. I laughed - it was his first "skunky puppy" but I grew up with hunting dogs so never surprised. I told him to put the guy in the tub and get him wet while I ran across the street for tomato juice. He looked at me all funny but trusts the "red neck" in me. It worked, but I think I like your recipe better and will be trying it in the future.
As for the smell around the house - I would sprinkle baking soda - heavily - around the house, leave it for at least a couple of hours, then vaccum. Probably have to do this a few times but should help.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:17 AM

315 posts, read 1,091,855 times
poor guy! must be horrible for him to have that in his mouth, nose and eyes. i used the hydrogen peroxide when my dog was skunked when i was a kid. the tomato juice is just too darn messy! good luck and i hope you have sweet smells soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs