Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 02:12 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,586,460 times

Advertisements

While at the really awesome pet food store I drive an hour to get my babies food at, I got some free samples of Taste of the Wild...I kept hearing good things about it, so I decided to let them have a taste. It is grain-free and has great ingredients, they loved it, and it is very reasonably priced compared to the other super premium brands sold there. It was $9.99 for 5lbs...for a 40-60 pound dog, the standard feeding amount would be 2 1/4 - 3 cups a day. I started mixing it with the more expensive brand I get them, this way they get a little variety in the kibble portion of their feedings AND it is easier on the wallet! The 1st 5 ingredients in their Wetlands Canine Formula with Roasted Wild Fowl are: Duck, duck meal, chicken meal, egg product & sweet potato. The remaining ingredients include peas, roasted turkey & quail, blueberries, cranberries...and a lot of other great stuff! The owner of the pet food store and I were even talking about how crazy it is that this brand could be so much cheaper when the ingredients are so comparable...hopefully it stays that way!!! Mixing the new brand (whichever one you decide to go with) should be done slowly over a couple of weeks at least until the switch is complete...it may take longer if there are sensitive tummies in the mix! By adding a little less each time, you can get your dogs used to smaller portions slowly so it wont be so much of a shock...(also maybe supplement with lean, home-cooked meat, they will be so psyched they wont care about having less kibble at mealtime!) I know how you feel, I have no human children either and my 4 little dogs & 2 cats ARE my children and at the very center of my life. I would consider adopting a human child one day in the future, but only a slightly older kid with a passion & respect for animals and NO allergies!!! Lol! Most people find a dog to fit the family, but I would be doing things the other way around...the way I see it, there are plenty of kids in need of homes...like dogs & cats, it gets more difficult to place as they get older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 02:28 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
Glad to hear TOTW is working for you! It worked for us for a while, but we are in the process of switching him now (to Fromm aka doggy crack) and are almost completely switched over to it. He got bored of the Pacific Stream formula, and that is the only flavor we can give a puppy since it has low protein. While I believe it's one of the better foods out there, I do not like the fact that it's produced at a Diamond plant, and that is one of the reasons we switched. I still think it's a great food and would recommend it to people who want a high quality, grainless food without the high price tag, but I'm not willing to support Diamond in the process. And they refuse to disclose the calcium/phosphorus content on their site or bags, which is a huge red flag for me, since mine is just a pup and I have to make sure those levels are low in his diet. I recently learned that they most likely use ethoxyquin as a preservative, which many people are against. But like I said, it's still better than Iam, Eukanuba, Science Diet, etc., mainly because of the high quality meat ingredients.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:34 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,271,403 times
I've been wondering................ who is scoring these dog foods.
Saying what is actually good/best for the dogs diet ???

Thanks

Old 03-12-2009, 06:33 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
I've been wondering................ who is scoring these dog foods.
Saying what is actually good/best for the dogs diet ???

Thanks
I know dog food analysis is done by independent volunteers. Though it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that when you see ground corn as a first ingredient, chances are it's not a quality food (ahem, Science Diet).

Old 03-13-2009, 11:07 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,271,403 times
Anyone using the kirklands Chicken & rice with veggies ?? It's rated A+ and a good price.
I just called Cosco about prices of the dog food & membership ino. 40# $22.00
Does anyone know if the lamb & rice is rated A+ also. ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs