Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 12:46 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,610,405 times

Advertisements

Why do you have a dog?

I posed this same question in another forum and got defensive people explaining that they have no fenced yard and only chain them out to do their business. That is not my question. This question is directed at the people who KEEP their dog(s) chained or on a cable at the furthest point from their home. The dog cannot reach the house, is never allowed in or near the house, never taken for walks, is not used for hunting nor guarding livestock.

I don't understand why you have a dog. Please explain this to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 12:48 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,040,976 times
I can't even imagine the answers that you're going to get, but I know that I won't like a single one of them.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:51 PM

1,462 posts, read 4,868,747 times
Default Those who keep dogs chained

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
Why do you have a dog?

I posed this same question in another forum and got defensive people explaining that they have no fenced yard and only chain them out to do their business. That is not my question. This question is directed at the people who KEEP their dog(s) chained or on a cable at the furthest point from their home. The dog cannot reach the house, is never allowed in or near the house, never taken for walks, is not used for hunting nor guarding livestock. I don't understand why you have a dog. Please explain this to me.
I am so totally on your side with this one. Down at the foot of the hill we live on there is a family who owns a beautiful German Shepherd. This dog is always chained outside on a short chain near a tiny dog house he can barely fit in. I keep waiting for the day that they leave him out like this in a storm or overnight but as yet I have not been able to catch them and if I do, I am calling the humane society. This is an absolutely gorgeous shepherd but he is constantly out on this short chain and I have never seen anyone walk the poor thing.

My husband and I are big advocates of rescuing abandoned or abused animals and believe me, this one is eventually going to get reported to the humane society I am sure of it. We have a Pit Bull we rescued 3 years ago and she was found tied to a dumpster in the city and weighed in at 24 pounds when she was confiscated. She is now up to 54 pounds and has our whole side yard fenced in for her to play in. She goes in the car with me all the time, I play outside with her, we take naps together and she is MY GIRL....I don't know how anyone could have possibly abused and abandoned her...and I don't know how anyone could leave that beautiful boy (shepherd) tied outside..makes me so sad.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:59 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,433,152 times
I'm with you on this one. Although, I guess it's better than allowing them to roam free and get hit by cars. No good answer to the question though. If you bring home a dog, housebreak it and let it be a member of the pack. Otherwise buy a goldfish.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:07 PM

668 posts, read 2,187,543 times
I would like to know too! Our neighbor does this...ties it out in the yard, never pets it or even looks at it when they walk by, but the dog is starved for attention and comes to the fence when we are in our yard...Unfortunately, we cant pet it because its not close enough and I dont know the dog..even though it looks friendly, I dont know what the people have done to it and wouldnt dare stick my hand out so that the silly thing would bite me!

There is something wrong with people who do this to dogs...if you dont want a dog, give it to some one who does! Having it for 'protection', of barking if anyone comes into the yard...sheesh! These dogs around here bark if someone is in the neighborhood...even if they arent even near anyones house...what a pain when it barks all night long!! I have been threatening to call the cops and if the thing barks all night long this Summer, they are going to hear from me!

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 04-13-2009, 01:08 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,906,196 times
Yard decoration.

Some people, for whatever reason, think they are supposed to have a dog in the yard.

My MIL adopted two puppies from a woman who fostered the momma and then was adopting out the pups and mom for a rescue agency.

The foster mom told us one lady called up about a puppy:

"I am interested in adopting a puppy...I have a chiuhuahua at home already."
"Oh, are you looking for a playmate for your other dog?"
"No, I have a dog pen out in the back yard and I wanted a dog to put in it".

Old 04-13-2009, 01:08 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,555,928 times
I can see NO answer to that.

Some hunting/working dogs are kept outside but have considerable interaction with their handler. There are reasons that some dogs are not kept inside. But never an excuse for keeping the dog tethered for long periods of time.

Acclimitazation to the weather;cruel to keep dog inside in A/C and work outside in heat - same with cold.

Temperament - some dogs are just too high drive knuckleheads to live in the house

Family allergies - but I would be looking at getting a more suitable dog if a family member is allergic.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:29 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,587,058 times
This is a big pet peeve of mine as well. I understand some dogs are incredibly aggressive and destructive, but people should at the very least have a large pen & ample/insulated dog house if they absolutely can not have them in the house. And the worst part is that these same owners rarely bother to bathe them, give them heartworm prevention, or notice the ticks that latch on under the coat they never pet. I see it all the time...matted, filthy fur and ticks galore...a sign the poor dogs never get attention beyond obligatory feeding and the occasional hello. People like that do not understand that having animal companions is a PRIVILEGE and an honor, as well as a ticket to unconditional love. Boy are they missing out...and depriving their dogs of the life they deserve as well.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:37 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,094,032 times
As a person who has seen the effects of this kind of thing which is totally abuse as far as I am concened . i rescue dogs as well . Yes I too think that those people who keep their dogs chained outside do and are missing the boat as well . there dogs are missing out on the pack -leadership relationship and I think those people and dogs are missing out on a lot more . I think that is should be a law that you cannot chain your dog at all outside and glad to see that some states are passing legislation to outlaw it .

Old 04-13-2009, 02:00 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,663,754 times
Just about every few homes around here has dog houses with dogs chained. I am from the North and they are a rare site. But here in the South is a whole nother story! They treat dogs terrible down here. Most are out 24/7 in the high heat also. I have seen a family since now moved, go thru 3 dogs in three years after losing each one that was chained to a rickety old dog house in the dirt, to the heat. I tried to call in a complaint but they wanted a house # and the people had none. Also they had the property chain linked in, so no one could get in to reach them with a complaint! Very sad! I went past that house recently and I saw that rickety old dog house was gone......phew! I was so glad to see that! Dog houses should be banned!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs