Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 08:42 AM

110 posts, read 375,601 times

Advertisements

Please if you or someone you know purchased a puppy from Petland, look into this lawsuit. They are trying to make it into a class action so they are looking for others to join. The more people involved the better the chance of stopping Petland from selling puppies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 10:32 AM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooyorkie View Post
Please if you or someone you know purchased a puppy from Petland, look into this lawsuit. They are trying to make it into a class action so they are looking for others to join. The more people involved the better the chance of stopping Petland from selling puppies.
I hear you and I'm with you - but the bottom line is educating the public to STOP buying puppies from Petland and other stores. If there is no demand, there will be no supply.

Save A Life, Adopt A Pet

Old 03-21-2009, 02:14 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSP View Post
I hear you and I'm with you - but the bottom line is educating the public to STOP buying puppies from Petland and other stores. If there is no demand, there will be no supply.

Save A Life, Adopt A Pet
In the end, though, it's a "Damned if you do, damned if you don't." No demand, no supply is true. But it's a little too black and white in this instance. Those pups don't ask to be born through puppy mills, and they can't control the circumstances of their existance.. They're abused and/or neglected. In a sense, those puppies need rescued just as badly as dogs in animal shelters. In fact, the same scenario could be compared to kill shelters. If people didn't pay to adopt a dog from a kill shelter, they'd go out of business and only no-kill shelters would remain. But then, how many dogs will have to die because people don't want their money funding a kill shelter?

Old 09-30-2009, 10:22 AM

2 posts, read 3,121 times
I am in shock and awe the prices paid for sick and dying animals My heart goes out to the poor hurting babies they can not help themselves. I am so glad the State of Tennessee is trying to do something about it by passing the Commercial Breeders Act. It seems as if they the bad guys always find away around the edge, I know breeders now aka puppy mills trying to find ways around the new laws of the Tennessee legislation. And then you have the local law who just doesn't want to deal with it. If you report it they go out and say "Oh they have food and water". It's a viscious circle.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:39 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
If people didn't pay to adopt a dog from a kill shelter, they'd go out of business and only no-kill shelters would remain. But then, how many dogs will have to die because people don't want their money funding a kill shelter?
that's not the way it works. if kill shelters ceased to exist, and only no-kill shelters remained, the no-kill shelters would be perpetually full (as they are now). eventually they would be completely full with unadoptable animals. and there would be nowhere at all for most homeless animals to go. and contrary to the name, most "no kill" shelters do euthanize animals considered unadoptable, refuse to take them in the first place, or send them on to nearby kill shelters.

kill (or as proponents like to call them, open door) shelters aren't businesses - they are nonprofits and there is generally at least one in every city that is a public service of animal control. some are pounds that euthanize quickly and/or inhumanely and don't make much of an effort to adopt, some are full service shelters that euthanize humanely as a last resort and have extensive adoption and foster infrastructure.

my local open door shelter is of the latter model, and i am proud to say i adopted from them. i saved my dog and i made space for another dog to buy some extra time. the more money they get, the more able they are to make space to save more animals. no one there wants to see animals die.

kill shelters will continue to exist until the number of abandoned and feral animals is greatly reduced. a shelter system made up entirely of no kill shelters would be unsustainable. not to mention that many animals go insane when they live in the shelter environment for too long. it's a heartbreaking situation, and it's sad that animals are euthanized, but it's a reality that will continue until the pet overpopulation problem is solved. buying from a pet store, no matter how good your intentions, only contributes to that problem.

petland, on the other hand, is a business. if selling animals becomes unprofitable to them, they will stop selling them. even better would be if breeding was more regulated, puppy mills were made illegal, and they just couldn't sell dogs or cats anymore. i totally understand the urge to rescue animals from a pet store by buying them, and i know many people who have done that, but the fact is when you do that you just create the demand for another puppy to be born into that awful system.

Last edited by groar; 09-30-2009 at 10:47 AM..

Old 09-30-2009, 10:46 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,326,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post
They buy the puppies from brokers (Hunte Corporation) who get the puppies from puppy mills. The AKC and the Hunte Corporation (the world’s largest broker of puppy mill dogs) have a long standing relationship; Hunte processes over 80,000 puppies each year. That's why Missouri and Oklahoma are the two top states with puppy mills...brokers love these people which keeps the cycle continuing. Buyers see these puppies and don't have a clue where they came from or the conditions that they were kept in.

This is one of many reasons why Oklahoma is trying to pass a current bill that's now in the senate (HB 1332 it passed our state house by a land slide). These puppy mill folks would take a healthy puppy to get checked out by the vet and get a health certificate. They would then send the health certificate from the other dog along with a sick puppy to be sold (bait and switch). The new bill when passed would require among a lot of requirements that the puppy getting the health check to be sold be microchipped. That way the health certifcate matched the puppy with the appropriate numbered health certificate.
Hey, thanks for the info. I didn't know you guys had a bill for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs