Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 08:21 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,100,683 times

Advertisements

Should I have reported this incident to the police?

Today I was riding my bike around town and I've heard a guy yelling, screaming, hitting and cussing at his dog and I could hear the dog yelping really loud, I couldn't see the guy but I sure could hear him attacking his dog and him yelling and I could hear the dog yelping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 08:36 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Yes.

I don't think it's a 911 call, but you could at least call and let them know what you heard. They would know what to do.

I'm not some weirdo "animals are more valuable than humans" person, but animals absolutely should not be abused (Right now one of our dogs is sitting on my wife's lap in the recliner, our cat is snuggled with our daughter, and our other dog is sitting at my feet. We're kind of animal lovers...).

Old 03-23-2009, 08:39 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times
It sounds like you should have. It is one thing to yell, scream, hit and cuss at a dog that is attacking you, and I give anyone full permission to do that....but it is not okay to do that thinking you are training your dog, or even worse intentionally abusing your dog.

If we are sure that what you heard was the latter and not the former, then you definitely should have reported them.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:45 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,100,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
It sounds like you should have. It is one thing to yell, scream, hit and cuss at a dog that is attacking you, and I give anyone full permission to do that....but it is not okay to do that thinking you are training your dog, or even worse intentionally abusing your dog.

If we are sure that what you heard was the latter and not the former, then you definitely should have reported them.
It never occurred to me about the dog attacking the owner at all.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:25 AM

706 posts, read 3,763,931 times
I would say yes. Perhaps they will investigate and find some evidence (scars, bruises, injuries) of abuse.

As well, there may be other signs of abuse in terms of the dogs living conditions or whatever.

(Hell, if his own dog were attacking him, that would be indication of a problem too.)

Old 03-24-2009, 05:17 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,923 times
Default Should I have reported this incident to Police

Yes, yes and YES!! Why didn't you? Anyone who beats on an animal deserves to be reported to the police. I was going down one of the better streets in the town that I live in and saw a grown man slapping the crap out of a little white dog he was walking on a leash. I pulled over and yelled, "HEY, what the f' are you doing"....The man gave me a look but didn't say anything. He then picked the dog up and tossed him over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes. I followed him to where he lived, called the police and waited for them....I waited maybe 30 minutes and when the police drove up, I drove away. I didn't want to stay to get into a pissing match with the police and this man, but at least they came. You could have done the same...called on your cell phone, reported it and waited to see if they showed up then when they did...left.

Please, whenever you see anyone abusing any animal...call. The Police do come and will remove the animal if the abuse is excessive. Talk with your local police at some point and ask what their policy is about animal abuse. I am sure you will find the answers you need.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:13 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
The police would not necessarily do anything about it at this time, nor perhaps should they. But it is useful for the police to have a record of this person's behavior, so future incidents can be viewed in the context of previous patterns. When talking to the police you should mention that that is your intent.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Call and let the cops establish a record. If this was a case of animal abuse then abusing humans is a short way ahead.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:18 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
You need to call animal control and have them investigate the condition of the dog. They can take appropate action if they find the dog is being abuse or is in danger from neglect.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:29 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
There is a school of thought that the training of a dog is not always pleasant for the dog, and dog training methodology can appear to be abusive to observers who are not familiar with dog training. Furthermore, considering the huge number of people who own dogs, it is not reasonable to assume that all of them are competent to train a dog properly. I am not a dog-lover or a dog-owner, so I am not familiar with the state of the art of dog-training, but there might have been something going on that was not what it seemed to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs