Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 06:54 PM

131 posts, read 214,589 times

Advertisements

....to a point, I think it is important to keep it to one syliable, it is easier to say with authority.

Last dog was 'Hay Dog', the other dog was 'Ho Dog', or HayHo if you call them both. Ho is to close to No, it did cause some problems.

I am thinking 'Tick-a-Tick-a-Tick' the sounds, not the words for my next dog.

This Dog/That Dog
Kitty-Kitty-Kitty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 09:03 PM

444 posts, read 1,615,173 times
I had a friend who called his dog DD, most thought he was saying Deedee. I asked about his dog's name. He explained, as if it made perfect sense and totally serious, "Her name is Damn Dog.".

Old 04-10-2009, 11:38 PM

305 posts, read 1,234,108 times
how about "Pita"....pain-in-the-asx.

or de-oh-gee....."d.o.g."

Old 04-11-2009, 04:50 AM

106 posts, read 440,368 times
I have Just Spot. He has just one spot on his tongue They're not dogs, but my 2 of my cats are Whyme and Whynot. My BIL said we should've named Bob (our newest) WhyGod. LOL

Old 04-11-2009, 05:13 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInND View Post
....to a point, I think it is important to keep it to one syliable, it is easier to say with authority.Last dog was 'Hay Dog', the other dog was 'Ho Dog', or HayHo if you call them both. Ho is to close to No, it did cause some problems.I am thinking 'Tick-a-Tick-a-Tick' the sounds, not the words for my next dog. This Dog/That Dog
Kitty-Kitty-Kitty
Ok....let me see if I can help with this dog naming thing. Here are some dogs I had throughout my life and their names:
Dalmation - Name: Caleb
Shepherd Mix - Name: Bozo
Black Pekinese - Name: Suki
White pekinese - Name: Sasha
White pekinese mix - Name: Brutus
Border Collie mix - Name: April
Lab Mix: - Name: ChiChi (Adopted came with that name)
Pit Bull: - Name: Alice (present dog)

Why don't you give your dog a "persons name"? My brother in law had several basset hounds and named them after Yankee Players...one was Mickey for Mickey Mantle and one was Roger I believe for Roger Maris. They also have a female named Chloe.

So, pick your favorite sports players and name your pets that way. This has been a fun post..a relief from all the stressed out posts I read...thanks.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:57 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
I just went thru the dog naming thing my sheltie puppy's registered name is Jubilee Just B Coz and his call name is Oz.

I wanted something short unique and that didn't sound like an obedience comand

Old 04-11-2009, 06:11 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
My vet always told me to keep the dog's name to one or two syllables.
Dog's I've had in my lifetime:
Poodle: Pepe La Peu (called Peppy)
Cocker Poo - Tojo
Terrier Mix - Sandy
Shepherd Lab mix - Lucy
None were very creative, just easy and cute.

Currently, we have Dalai (pronounced Dolly), and Abby. Both Shih-Tzu's. Abby came named. We were going to call Dalai "Rosie" originally, but I had an epiphany and thought Dalai was creative because she is a little doll and Shih-Tzus originate from Tibet like the Dalai Lama.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:04 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,904 times
Mine are all two syllables....more catchier when calling them.
Gin-ger (G)nickname
Prin-cess (Prinny)nickname
Ly-la (this one is deaf)
Chy-na (Chine)
Je-nny (Jen)nickname
Bam-bi (Bammer)nickname

Old 04-14-2009, 05:37 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,829,469 times
Our trainer said a 2 syllable name is best since most commands are 1 syllable.
Previous pups

Pit/shepard: Chevy (named after the car manufacturer)

Black lab: Chase (we thought it would be funny since the previous dog was Chevy, Chase means hunter and he was a lab, oh and DH got lost on Chevy Chase drive when he went to look at the pup)

Yellow lab: Indiana, we called him Indy (named after Indiana Jones, at the end of the 3rd movie, Indiana was his dogs name and he said he had a lot of fond memories of the dog)

Black Lab: Woody (named after the old surf car and it has a nature sound to it, being a lab in all)

Old 04-14-2009, 08:27 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,048,239 times
I have a
Rat terrier mix - Reggie (but he comes to "Mammas little sweetie boy" pretty quick too!! lol )
?terrier/?? mix - Zoey. (zoe-zoe)
cats have been
MC- Cricket
MC - Sasha (or Sashy, or sweetie boy, this was my little girls cat)
little orange terror cat - Iggy
and big FAT rescue cat - IsaBelly (for Its a BELLY!! cuz she was HUGE when we got her)
my mom had a cocker spanial she named Nicholas (Christmas gift) but she always called him "Fat Puppy" thats even what she put on his grave marker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs