Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2010, 06:48 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times

Advertisements

First, I think the person you spoke with either was forgetting the suffering, or was too self-absorbed. We tried to keep our Lhasa Apso as comfortable and happy until his last day, but his last week he diminished rapidly. His last day, I couldn't bear to see him in the state he was in -- and I sat with him hours and hours that last week. We took him to the vet to see if there was any way to make him more comfortable, and he died on the examination table.

My neighbor raises Goldies, and she spent an entire evening holding her older female to keep her from thrashing about in pain, while the poor thing evacuated all her wastes from the suffering. After four hours, she finally took her into the emergency care and relieved her from her suffering.

If you work at home, and can keep your dog in observation throughout the day, and are sensitive to her every sign of pain, perhaps she will die quietly in her sleep, many do, but many do not. I don't think you can make rules about life, or death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 02:30 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,214,075 times
I've put down 4 pets, all were suffering. And yet I opened this thread because how can something that intellectually seems right still feel so wrong years later? Dont mistake me, I don't think its wrong. But it feels like it does something to me. Enough so and in such a way that I've wondered. But the alternative to have an animal in incredible amounts of pain often for a protractive period is unthinkable. Very much a dilemma.
I think if there were more options for pain management at home?

Old 07-25-2010, 04:54 PM

3 posts, read 12,376 times
one of the best things u can do for a dog is to let them die quick and painless when there in critical condition

Old 07-25-2010, 05:02 PM

848 posts, read 1,952,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Don't let them suffer needlessly like they do to humans, except in Washington and Oregon.
EXACTLY!!!! I often think of how it's noble to be compassionate to our pets but let our loved people suffer. I watched my parent die and there's nothing "peaceful" about it despite the BS you read in the obit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckzona View Post
It depends on the situation. If they are crying and howling and have obvious pain i would go put them down in a heartbeat. If its just old age i would prefer naturally
"Crying and howling" are not the only indicators of terminal suffering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickwhiz View Post
one of the best things u can do for a dog is to let them die quick and painless when there in critical condition
Absolutely.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:19 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,513,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I had my little beagle Cleo put down today. She was at least 15, possibly up to 17. She had been trying up to the last month, but she's been failing steadily since. I have had to rescue her out of corners she couldn't get out of and with the arthritus in her hips she would get where they would just twich uncontollably and she'd fall.

Last night she woke me up crying four times. I knew when we went to the vet that there wasn't anything he could do. I'm crying now, but I know I made the right decision. I could see it in her eyes. She just lay on my lap wrapped up in a towel on the way there. Last month she had problems, this month she wasn't really trying.

I feel sad, but peaceful too. My other dogs have all gone naturally. Gumby was doing remarkably well, walked okay and died suddenly, but the others should not have been made to wait so long. She's at the vet now and will be creamated, and will add her to the memorial to my other dogs. I miss her very much. When I'm cooking dinner and she's not directly under my feet, I'll notice. I'll probably cry myself to sleep. I had to call and tell my son. When he comes to visit he won't see her for that last time.

Last night when my oldest cat, found when she was four weeks old, and guarded like a mom by my dog, tried to groom her and she growled. I knew. She wouldn't come to bed. She wouldn't spend time with me. She cried for me to help her but then went back into her corner.

If a dog or cat or pet is healthy enough they enjoy life and die naturally its wonderful, but my grief for Cleo will be easier because I know that I listened to her.

If you click on my profile and my pics, the smaller of the two beagles is Cleo. Pammy is about 6 and eventually will have a new sister she can play with, but not yet.
Nightbird I am so sorry to read this. I know you miss your best friend. Big Okie hugs to you

Old 07-26-2010, 02:34 AM

18,705 posts, read 33,372,489 times
I have never had the break of having a dog die peacefully in his sleep. (One beagle/basset I had apparently had a heart attack in kennel- ate dinner and was dead when they went to get his dish. He was always a stubborn devil dog).
Besides pain (a big enough issue), an animal who is dying is likely to be anxious and fearful (can't tell what is going on) and is also likely to defecate and urinate where he/she is lying, unable to get up, so they are very upset about that, or they'll try to struggle to their feet to stay clean.
For me, it was seeing the fearful look in one dog's eyes as he fell once again- looked like an Alzheimer's patient, vacant and frightened. For another, it was the daily bloody poop that he was falling into, and the sneezing blood- don't know if he was in pain, but it was certainly miserable, and what was I waiting for?
If a dog isn't eating or drinking or can't move away to make a mess or is totally lethargic with his terminal illness, I think that is suffering. What are we waiting for, if the animal is in that condition?

Old 05-10-2011, 04:39 PM

1 posts, read 5,705 times
My dog just died yesterday in my house after having a pancreatitis attack. He was a 9 1/2 year old diabetic and this was his second bout with pancreatitis in 8 months. The last time it happened on a Sunday and I took him to the emergency clinic at 3pm who kept him only 15 hours on IV therapy and made me pick him up because they close Monday at 8am, and are only open at night and weekends (hence "emergency clinic"). I had no local vet and drove him 3 hrs. to my vet in my previous neighborhood, who nursed him back for 4 days. This time he got sick in the early Sunday morning, and we own a restaurant and Mothers Day was fully booked. We didn't have time to take him to emergency 35 miles away, we made him comfortable and gave him Pepcid AC, and we thought we'd take him in Monday early, but he died Monday at 4:45am. We are sick over this and I am guilt ridden that he suffered at home when he should have been treated and even euthanized if need be, but not suffer.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:46 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
I'm sorry for your loss. I know it hurts and I know you feel guilty but seems to me you have done the best you could under the circumstances.

Personally I have had to euthanize several pets and I feel the most guilt about the one time I did not stay with my cat, frankly because it was 38 years ago and I was not given the opportunity. I'm so grateful this way to end suffering is available to us as we do what is best for our beloved pets. Only wish it was for family members and ourselves.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:13 AM

425 posts, read 1,104,750 times
Default Our Dog Yukon

our shih-tzu is 13 1/2 and has kidney failure~~ he isnt in any pain, and we are doing all we can to make what we know will be his last few days comfortable..
we take him twice a week for fluids, but he had his second seizure last night and is sleeping alot, he is also getting confused.. he didnt eat this morning, but did drink water..
Both my husband and I dont want to take him to the vet until we know its time. this is were he is comfortable, and we have been through this before..
they are our furbabies and part of our family
this is heart-wrenching for us non the less.. my condolences to all of you going through or who have gone through this

Old 05-30-2012, 09:46 AM

48,115 posts, read 21,996,081 times
I have had two dogs pass away peacefully at home.....being held and loved by us. Neither was in any pain.....and the passing was the culmination of lots of love and lots of fun and adventure. I have had two dogs die at the vets.....when I took them in and had them put to sleep. They died peacefully in my arms....knowing I loved them and that they had been good dogs and hadnt done anything wrong.

Both experiences were peaceful.....all the passings were sad beyond words.....the one who slowly expired at home.....held and rocked by my DP for hours and hours....as they shared their lives together and old friends and places they had been.......that process seemed the best.....quality time.....palpable love filling the room.

The circumstances of the death; the nature of the illness.....the animals dignity.....and comfort....there are many considerations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs