Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2009, 07:18 PM

212 posts, read 699,934 times

Advertisements

I see the most important issue as the 13 yr. old.My son was 8 when buddy(15)passed away.He was very angry and wanted to kick gods butt.I explained that god doesn't choose who goes to heaven.He was adamant he never wanted another dog,....he wanted buddyboy back.I explained that buddy would allways love us and was grateful he lived with people who loved and cared for him so much.Dogs only live so long.Buddy would want us to adopt another dog and love him,as much as we loved buddy.It took about 6 weeks and the my son came to me with tears in his eyes.We need a new puppy like buddy he said.In 48hrs. i found a new black lab pup.He is named Two Bud.Tuba has replaced the neverending unconditional love that my son and i needed back in our life.His birthday is the 23rd and he will be 3.His cake will be a pizza.He will be in awe.When he gets a very occassional old slice he looks up in amazement,and asks with his face and eyes if its really for him.I have to tell him atleast twice that,...yes thats for you and your a good boy.Buddy is proud and happy.(LABS RULE): )
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 05:44 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,385,385 times
Default Yes, that's fine but...

I wouldn't give it the same name. My aunt has had five pugs, all named Sandy, since I was a little girl. When one dies of old age, she just calls the breeder, gets another one, brings it home, and names it Sandy!

If my Westie, Snuggles, should die, I would definately consider another one. I love the breed. But he/she wouldn't be named Snuggles. There's only one Snuggles!

I'm sorry for your loss. I know how dogs become like family members, especially if your kids are raised with them.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,342 times
I lost my lovely Pet yesterday after a severe pain for three days in her liver with no cure. I am very sad for her loss and whenever I returned back home I can smell her everywhere . I can see her every where , her life is coming in front of my eyes like a movie. Ten years I nevered knew that I love her that much.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:02 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,440,379 times
When Sasha had to be put down I knew I would get another pekingese...I was looking for a
small female with brown and white markings, just like Sasha...what we got, only 2 months after
we lost Sasha, was what grew up to be a big male with a brown nose that was a white/cream color...
We knew we could never replace Sasha, but Caesar is a real love bug and we're so glad we have him.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:06 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,225,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmedino View Post
I lost my lovely Pet yesterday after a severe pain for three days in her liver with no cure. I am very sad for her loss and whenever I returned back home I can smell her everywhere . I can see her every where , her life is coming in front of my eyes like a movie. Ten years I nevered knew that I love her that much.
So sorry for your loss. Here is a link to perhaps help you. Doing a search, death of dog, there are many such sites. I wish you the best.
Coping with Pet Loss: Grieving the Death of a Dog or Cat

Old 09-06-2014, 09:17 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
In my early childhood, my parents replaced a black and white sheltie three times. We even named the first three the same name with 1st, 2nd, and 3rd afterwards. Well, the 1st wasn't called the 1st until we got the 2nd. After three in a row ended in short lifespans, we gave the fourth one a different name, and he lived a much longer life.

I wasn't upset by this as a child. I adored all four of them. But I can assure you that they were all very different dogs with distinct personalities. If the reason of buying the same breed and color is hoping to reincarnate, you'll be disappointed. My parents did it simply because they loved the breed. Their children were the ones who lacked the creativity to pick a new name. What do you want to name the new dog? X the 2nd!!!!! X the 3rd!!! LOL

I recall a thread posted here within the past year where a women bought the same breed and color of a dog as a replacement and she posted about how much she disliked the new dog because it was nothing like her old dog and it made her constantly sad to see it as a reminder her old dog was gone. So, it truly can backfire.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:53 AM

1 posts, read 701 times
I recently lost my best friend, a Golden Retriever, I was blessed to have him 12years, he gave no signs of being ill, that morning he came to my side of the bed, he spit up just a little and laid down on the floor, I started petting him and telling him it was alright, it appeared that he fell asleep, then he was gone. I miss him so much, I still talk to him as if he is here, I was able to contact the breeder where I got him and although she does not have Goldens, she does have Golden Labs and I am awaiting her next litter, although I love goldens, my research shows that Labs are so much alike, same loving temperament, realizing this new friend will never be the same as my loss, I am hoping he will fill the hurt in my Heart.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:18 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,121,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbeysmine View Post
I recently lost my best friend, a Golden Retriever, I was blessed to have him 12years, he gave no signs of being ill, that morning he came to my side of the bed, he spit up just a little and laid down on the floor, I started petting him and telling him it was alright, it appeared that he fell asleep, then he was gone. I miss him so much, I still talk to him as if he is here, I was able to contact the breeder where I got him and although she does not have Goldens, she does have Golden Labs and I am awaiting her next litter, although I love goldens, my research shows that Labs are so much alike, same loving temperament, realizing this new friend will never be the same as my loss, I am hoping he will fill the hurt in my Heart.
I'm so sorry for your loss...I recently lost my French Bulldog, unexpectedly and fast. I see him everywhere, still talk to him and bury my face in his blanket that still holds his sweet scent. I still have two Boston Terriers that keep my busy and not so focused with losing Wolfgang. But yes, one day I will have another Frenchie.

When you get your new pup, do come back here and post a brand new thread introducing him/her along with pictures. We love welcoming new pups here.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:06 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,351,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I think it is fine if that is what you want. But the new dog is never the same as the old dog and it takes time for the bond to grow again. A friend told me that a new dog "gives you something to do." It fills the void. Over the years, the love grows.
Yes...that's the thing to keep in mind. I've been raising Dobermans for 35 years, multiples at a time. While there are similar characteristics NO TWO WERE EVER THE SAME. At 60, this might be my last. She comes from a stellar line, got along fabulously with my 2 rescues (one of whom, a Pointer/Rottie mix, has recently passed) and a rescued Collie who spoils her rotten. BUT, at 16 months she is STILL, regardless of 4 trainers, reactive to other dogs (Impulse control, not aggression). You just never know. NEVER had one like this. All canines, regardless of breed, purebred or mix, is unique.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:27 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
I always get the same breed. There are definitely some things that are very predictable based on breed.

But when we got a new rough collie, I made sure she was a different color. I just could not look at a lookalike of my dead dog only 15 months after losing her so suddenly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs