Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 07:43 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,422,405 times

Advertisements

I am so sorry for all you and your pups have been through! I've been wondering why I hadn't seen you post recently. I wish only good health for Teddie a speedy recovery for Duncan. You will all be in my thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 07:58 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,426,878 times
HGE sounds like what a friend's lab might have had! He was older and she called me one day totally freaking out. She woke up, and like you said, it looked like a crime scene. The vet never diagnosed it but told her he seemed fine, take him home and let him rest, and oh, you owe me $450. Grrr!!!

I feel for ya with the fight. I've got a Dogo mix puppy that just had her adoption approved to a great lady in NJ with a male Viszla. Gwen - the Dogo mix - has been a love the last month we've had her. She's a foster dog by the way. And then yesterday she starts a fight with the cocker I've got. Now, the cocker started a fight with her about a week ago. At first I was afraid we were dealing with some aggression issues coming out. Then I thought maybe she was just bitter with Maggie, the cocker. Then I noticed today she's in heat! I'd been told at the shelter I pulled her from that her former owners said she was spayed. Argh!!!

Fortunately because they couldn't provide her spay paperwork I had her set up for an exploratory with possible spay if they found a uterus or ovaries anyway. But in the meantime the lady that was going to adopt her is now - rightly so - a bit wary. Not sure if she's going to still adopt her or not. Gwen may have blown her chance at a home.

Luckily for me there was no harm done to either dog. Poor Duncan. Give him a pat on that cute little head from us. And I hope Teddie is feeling better and can come home soon. Poor guy.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:04 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,660,266 times
OMG....you sure had and have your hands full! Hope they will all be ok. Poor Duncan. I had to deal with a fight myself not to long ago with my deaf Lyla.....was a huge fight! She got hurt very bad.
All my dogs came in on it and for a few seconds I thought I could not stop it. It became a frenzy. I cannot even think about it! That whole night turned into more disasters. Dog fights are scary. You will have to keep an eye on them now.
Hope Teddie is ok. Is that something you can control or cure?

Last edited by Blondie621; 04-25-2009 at 10:13 PM..

Old 04-25-2009, 11:32 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times
I had dog-experienced people tell me that, if one dog is hurting or upset, it can set the others off- a general level of distress. That could explain the fighting.
My 13-year-old Kona has had soft stool with some blood for months now. Tests negative, and he seems fine. Vet thinks it's either IBS or the fact that he takes Prednisone for lupus.
I hope your guys get comfortable and calm soon.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:44 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times
Good god! I hope Teddie is okay!

Old 04-26-2009, 09:24 AM

692 posts, read 3,855,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
HGE sounds like what a friend's lab might have had! He was older and she called me one day totally freaking out. She woke up, and like you said, it looked like a crime scene. The vet never diagnosed it but told her he seemed fine, take him home and let him rest, and oh, you owe me $450. Grrr!!!

I feel for ya with the fight. I've got a Dogo mix puppy that just had her adoption approved to a great lady in NJ with a male Viszla. Gwen - the Dogo mix - has been a love the last month we've had her. She's a foster dog by the way. And then yesterday she starts a fight with the cocker I've got. Now, the cocker started a fight with her about a week ago. At first I was afraid we were dealing with some aggression issues coming out. Then I thought maybe she was just bitter with Maggie, the cocker. Then I noticed today she's in heat! I'd been told at the shelter I pulled her from that her former owners said she was spayed. Argh!!!

Fortunately because they couldn't provide her spay paperwork I had her set up for an exploratory with possible spay if they found a uterus or ovaries anyway. But in the meantime the lady that was going to adopt her is now - rightly so - a bit wary. Not sure if she's going to still adopt her or not. Gwen may have blown her chance at a home.

Luckily for me there was no harm done to either dog. Poor Duncan. Give him a pat on that cute little head from us. And I hope Teddie is feeling better and can come home soon. Poor guy.
Yep sounds like the first trip when I took him in. They ran tests and they came back neg so we were sent home on antibiotics and my bill was $520. Just over a month later he's back at the vet and worse than ever. Thankfully they ran the right tests this time because it can be fatal without treament.

I hope Gwens home turns out. I know she's got to be a pretty big handful! She sounds like a sweet heart though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
OMG....you sure had and have your hands full! Hope they will all be ok. Poor Duncan. I had to deal with a fight myself not to long ago with my deaf Lyla.....was a huge fight! She got hurt very bad.
All my dogs came in on it and for a few seconds I thought I could not stop it. It became a frenzy. I cannot even think about it! That whole night turned into more disasters. Dog fights are scary. You will have to keep an eye on them now.
Hope Teddie is ok. Is that something you can control or cure?
There is no cure because they dont even know what causes it. You pretty much have to keep it under control so he doesn't have another episode. He will be taking pepcid on a regular basis in hopes that we can keep everything under control and stable.

Thank you guys for letting me come here and dish all my drama. It was nice to be able to just sit down and gush about whats been going on.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:39 AM

795 posts, read 4,537,776 times
poor teddie!!! i am so sorry...it sucks when they don't feel good, and you don't know why!

and poor duncan...those pictures are just awful. i am glad he's ok.

you hang in there!

(oh, when you have a second, will you tell me what dosage of pepcid teddie's on?)

Old 04-26-2009, 10:50 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Wow, you've had a lot going on....We're sending positive thoughts your way

Old 04-26-2009, 10:52 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
wow sorry you have had such a rough time sending wonderfull thoughts and prayers for speedy recoveries for all in your home .

Old 04-26-2009, 11:14 AM

692 posts, read 3,855,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barndog View Post
poor teddie!!! i am so sorry...it sucks when they don't feel good, and you don't know why!

and poor duncan...those pictures are just awful. i am glad he's ok.

you hang in there!

(oh, when you have a second, will you tell me what dosage of pepcid teddie's on?)
Ted's still at the vet so we haven't started the pepcid yet. I will update everyone when I get news. I'm supposed to talk to the vet tomorrow an I should know what's going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs