Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 08:53 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times

Advertisements

My part lab doesn't like balls but loves to carry her stuffed (now empty!) babies around in her mouth or her quacky duck or a stick (more like a branch).

Energy...yes...Sweet...very much so...

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 09:10 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,295,206 times
Here is my advice - Be prepared, he/she is going to chew up EVERYTHING! No joke.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:48 PM

821 posts, read 2,038,549 times
The best thing I did for myself is get a dirt devil broom vac its easy fast and better then a regular broom becuase it doesnt throw the hair everywhere. Labs shed like you wouldn't believe...

P.S. I cant forget the old saying "A tired lab is a Happy lab" very true!

Old 05-08-2009, 02:31 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,988,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
Well actually my first dog if you don't count as a child. Growing up we usually had a dog around the house but it was typically a toy something (poodle or small terrier or the like) or other and I didn't have to take care of it.

Now that I've finally gone from apartment living to a house of my own I can finally get a dog. Doing my research I've decided on a lab. Both because of their temperament and train-ability and because there is a nice lab rescue group locally that is all about matching the right rescue to the right family.

Anyway, I've read up on training, establishing yourself as the alpha, proper introduction to the house and other pets, etc but that is all just theory and words until you actually sit down and do it yourself the first time. So I've come here to ask for any tips, advice, links whatever you might have handy. Oh and I think I've got a list of the basics down but what do you suggest I have on day one or what are some must have things for you and your pooch?

Thanks,

Tom
First and foremost - great job adopting!!! Great job with all the advice everyone!

The most important thing to have with a lab is patience!! Trust me, I have 3 of them! Some of your belongings WILL fall victim! Try to be patient and laugh it off as much as possible. My black lab has a remote control fetish - very hard to laugh off on Sundays during football season!

The other thing is make sure you really have the time to exercise them - as others have said. Many people give up on labs because they are too hyper. True. But if you can take the time to let them run, play fetch, swim they will be much more enjoyable. My dogs get at least a 45 minute walk in the morning (longer if I'm working from home) and then we hit the trails for off-leash hiking in the afternoons/evenings.

Good luck!!

Old 05-08-2009, 02:49 PM

651 posts, read 1,417,037 times
The others are right; labs like to chew. Make sure you have the time to watch your lab the first few days so that you can teach him what not and what TO chew on. Don't forget to praise him when he chews on his toys.

As for toys, buy toys for 'heavy chewers' and watch him with those toys for the first few days. I found that even with some 'heavy chewer' toys, my lab is able to chew through them and eat the chewed parts. Also, be careful with stuffed toys. Again, my lab chews them AND eats the stuffing (which is dangerous; he doesn't get stuffed toys anymore).

Good luck with your new friend. They're a lot of work but worth it.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:33 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
Quote:
All great advice, thanks! I was actually thinking of working with the rescue group if I could find the time.
You will need mega time for a young lab! You also may consider to do a foster for a lab rescue, to see what you may be up aganist! Many groups do need a foster
person, and they also do a match, then you could do the adopt!

Old 05-09-2009, 08:51 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,117,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
You will need mega time for a young lab! You also may consider to do a foster for a lab rescue, to see what you may be up aganist! Many groups do need a foster
person, and they also do a match, then you could do the adopt!
I almost did that today... foster with the intent to adopt. The dog was too stressed from recently leaving the pound though and I don't have a fenced in yard yet. He isn't ready to deal with the kinds of walks I would be taking him on (lots of kids, dogs, etc in my neighborhood).

That is ok there are a few others I'm looking at and I'm in no hurry. I would rather do it right than do it quick.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:31 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
Quote:
I almost did that today... foster with the intent to adopt. The dog was too stressed from recently leaving the pound though and I don't have a fenced in yard yet. He isn't ready to deal with the kinds of walks I would be taking him on (lots of kids, dogs, etc in my neighborhood).

That is ok there are a few others I'm looking at and I'm in no hurry. I would rather do it right than do it quick.
Great minds do think alike!
I love all dogs, but, even a puppy does get stressed with noise, and different situations, and then you job does start. You need to know not
every rescue dog is going to jump into you life and be well adjusted. That is why they do need foster parents, to help with getting the dog a home.
Not even for you, but someone where the dog will be happy! It is not easy, and it really does take alot to want to do this. Read Marley and me the real book! You are right not also to jump into this, and even an older dog 4 or 5 is great, and you could do visting the nursing homes etc.,
I really hope, you get the dog for you! Oh, and that dog also will be up to mega walks! Think of a 13 year old!

Last edited by maggiekate; 05-09-2009 at 09:46 PM..

Old 05-09-2009, 11:59 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Clear all breakable items from low-lying areas! Happy, wagging lab-tails can clear off a coffee table quickly....

Old 05-11-2009, 07:51 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Yeah I live in a semi-rural area so figure a quick (relatively) walk in the morning before I settle down to work and a longer (couple miles) one in the evening should be a good start. The other bonus of that is A) I get my lazy butt outside and get some exercise and B) I get to explore my new neighborhood.

Backyard is decent size so until I train the new arrival well enough to respond when excited that will be the only place we play fetch. After that though I see dog parks and the beach in our futures.

EDIT: And yeah on the age thing. I wanted young enough to train and have a nice life together but old enough not to be a never ending ball of energy or to have to deal with house breaking and the like. Luckily the ones that look like potential companions are around the 2-4 age range which I think will work well.
Just be prepared for a less profound mellowing over the 2-4 range than you would see in other breeds. Labs don't seem to really settle into being good citizens until about 4 or 5 and I'll bet there is a reason this guy wound up in rescue (the reason is probably an owner who wasn't dedicated to meeting the dog's exercise/stimulation requirements, but be prepared for said requirements to be quite high). Labs are working dogs and as such need to have a job. Make sure you give him/her one. Labs are well suited to any job that involves chasing, some will have strong, overriding retrieving instincts but you are just as likely to encounter "keep-away" instincts. It doesn't mean you have a lemon, it just means you have an untrained lab. There is an old book by Richard Wolters called "Family Dog" that is excellent, if old-school, reading for a first-time lab owner. His "Waterdog" book will give you some good ideas for training the dog to retrieve (which is essential to achieve a well-exercised lab and an owner who is not over-exercised). You don't need to get too complicated, just get it into the dog's head that you want him to actually bring the tennis ball back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs