Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 08:18 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times

Advertisements

Good question.
Later in life, you are more likely to have a set schedule, be able to predict your movements, be less likely to roam around the world (unless that's what you do, in which case a dog would be an even worse idea), have money (my two dogs have cost me 2 grand this year alone what with their vet issues and various other things that have come up), have more space...

Right now, so much of your life is up in the air. Who knows? 4 years from now, you may be going to medical school, and when you're gone for 36 hours in a row, who's going to let Fido out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 08:19 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
I know what it's like to want a dog really badly. When I lost my first dog, all I could think about was when I would get another one. But I had to wait almost 10 years before I had the time and the resources to really support one and spend the time necessary with her.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:34 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,772,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aallie47 View Post
my boyfriend of 2 years a I are both going away to college very soon. We will be living together in an apartment. we arn't going to the same college but we are in boston and you can imagine the closeness of different colleges to each other, so we are both very close by to our schools. both of us have always wanted to own a dog, but for reasons beyond out control both of our families have always been apposed. his mother is allergic, and my sister is deathly afraid.
im wondering about this. we both hope to spend our lives together, and i want to adopt a dog soon, but is college a good time to. i REALLy want to. but the thing is, its not like adopting one while having a roommate. this dog would be equally his and mine. and if a split happens, wouldnt that be a problem, would we have enough time between the two of us to care for a dog and school and keep our relationship alive?
advice? comments?
Don't get a dog yet. A pair of college students who are not married and living in an apartment in Boston will make poor dog parents. A lot of young people try this in spite of all the advice against from old people. The reason the old people say "don't do it" is because they used to be young people and made the same stupid mistakes that the new young people are thinking about making. You're going to wind up with a dog that no one has time to train, does not get exercise, is barely housebroken and ensures that you will never recover your security deposit. You're going to do what you're going to do, but this is a recipe for disaster and isn't fair to the dog.

As someone who has had puppies and babies, puppies aren't that much easier than human babies. You're sure as hell not thinking about having babies yet, are you?

Get a cat. Cats will be fine with staying at home all day and actually seem to thrive on neglect so long as the food and water bowl are full. Also, if you and your boyfriend split the cat will definitely be yours.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:39 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,936,994 times
Absolutely NOT a good idea.

You won't have the time or means to take care of a dog properly. And who's taking him home on vacation? The one with the allergies waiting at home?

I waited 30 years to get a dog, until I knew I could afford the (expensive!) veterinary care, I would have the time and the space. You can't always have what you want when you want it. Good things are worth waiting for.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:46 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,375,193 times
After you are comfortably settled in to your new life then look into the possibility of volunteering for one of the rescue organizations or shelters in the Boston area. Help is always needed and you can at least partially fulfill your desire for the companionship of a dog (or many dogs).

It's also a great way to learn about caring for and training a dog so that when you are in the position to make a lifetime commitment to a dog (maybe 15 years) you'll be able to be a good owner.

In college towns around the country shelters see an increase of owner surrendered pets that students can not take home or to a new city after graduation. Sadly many of those pets do not make it back out the front door alive to a new home.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:58 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Allie, I think you asked the question on this forum because you knew, deep down in your heart, that this is not the right time for you to have a dog, for all the reasons stated by everyone here. I think you just needed confirmation. And that's OK. You're doing the right thing asking -- and trusting the responses.

I, personally, always wanted a dog, but knew I'd only be happy when I could be home with the dog. When I started working from home, and that was a good 15 years after the idea of having a dog popped into my head, that's when I seriously started considering it.

I believe your gut already told you that this may not be a perfect time to get a dog. Go with that gut instinct -- it was right on. When you have a set schedule and a steady income, then go for it. Enjoy college for what it is -- all about YOU! Later on, you'll have the dog of your dreams.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:32 AM

376 posts, read 1,809,193 times
Please, please, please do NOT get a dog. I worked at Boston area private college for 10+ years and at the end of every semester break or college year it was pure heartbreak to see the abandoned cats and dogs that got left behind in the community by students. The students at this college were all bright "cream of the crop" from affluent backgrounds. I bet they all "really wanted" that puppy or kitten they took on. Enjoy your college years, you will have lots to do and experience without the additional responsibility of a pet. Previous posters are right. Please reconsider.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:15 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,218,456 times
I would definitely wait - life is long and although I love my pets, i'm glad I didn't have them at an earlier stage

so much can and will happen in college and most of it you can't predict right now ....... opportunities open and close at a rapid pace and it's good to be flexible

what if that dream internship in another location/study abroad opens up?

what if you break up?

what if you both want to go to NY for the weekend or any other type of travel?

Will you be going "home" on breaks? Do you want to live together when classes aren't in session?

How do you pay for emergencies? This month alone I spent $300 for yearly shots for my 3 pets (including a years worth of heartworm medicine, about $100 at the cheap clinic) - then my 1 yr old boxer had a cystic somethingorother that we had to have removed for another $300 ....... then last night I noticed her face blowing up and looking like a boxer who just got done fighting 15 rounds, had to go to the after hours emergency clinic for another $240

these things happen

food, toys, etc are all expensive as well

if you go for a puppy you'll need even more expense and time - house training, basic training, socialization, etc ...... it's not easy, it's not cheap and it's very time consuming

we got both of our boxers as puppies when my wife was off for summer break (as a teacher) so she could spend the days at home with them - at first they can't make it through the night without going outside - there is barking/whining and the fun of random housetraining accidents ...... even with all her attention and me being around before/after work it's tough

how are you going to feel when you can't go to that party because you spent all day in classes and now need to spend time with the dog?

how are you going to feel when you get into that big project and have to devout your time to it while your dog is home alone and lonely?

how are you going to feel when you have a big exam the next day and your dog gets sick, is barking all night, etc?

you'll also pay more for a pet deposit

it's a huge responsibility ...... enjoy college for what it has to offer

there is plenty of time in life for a house, a dog, kids and all of the other stuff

the real world will be here soon enough - it may seem far off, but those years go by so fast ........ focus on enjoying college and setting up your future

as stated, I absolutely love my dogs and my cat and wouldn't trade them in for anything - but am glad that I waited until my life was more structured and settled and more financially secure

Old 06-29-2009, 12:33 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times
At least wait for 1 semester to see how college life is. And yes, a split between you and the BF will mean someone has to give up the dog - or else get into massive scheduling headaches to share the dog. Working is over at 5 pm but college is not. Besides studying, there are parties, hanging out with friends, going to sports, etc. Students are rarely home! Not fair to a dog OR cat.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:12 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,772,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
At least wait for 1 semester to see how college life is. And yes, a split between you and the BF will mean someone has to give up the dog - or else get into massive scheduling headaches to share the dog. Working is over at 5 pm but college is not. Besides studying, there are parties, hanging out with friends, going to sports, etc. Students are rarely home! Not fair to a dog OR cat.
I was at least a little bit kidding about the cat, but I do know people who had success with cats during their school careers and I believe its because the cat really doesn't give a hoot if anyone is around and is totally capable of entertaining itself for days on end if need be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs