Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 06:23 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times

Advertisements

Our Sammy is half lab & half Chesapeake Bay Retreiver and he is a very special pet to us.

However, at age 3 (almost 4 now) he sustained a partial tear to a knee ligament on a hind leg. Since then he's been hobbling and sometimes 3-legging it... Clearly, he is pampered and loved, but he's a shadow of the dog he used to be and I think he is not happy being in pain like this. Not that he complains, but he mopes a lot now.

The sugery is $5,000 and we have barely 1/10th of that. I've tried everything imaginable to get a free surgery (going to vet schools, clinics, various animal funds....) but it isn't going to happen. Period.

So, do I put him down? Do we struggle on? Will a vet put down an otherwise happy dog? He can no longer walk with us, go to the dog park, rut for rabbits or run in the waves at the ocean...

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 06:42 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
What a hard decision! Can you talk to your vet about a payment plan? Any meds to make him less pain-filled?

Old 07-20-2009, 06:50 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,393,698 times
Maybe your vet will give you a discount or arrange a long-term payment schedule. If not, perhaps another vet will. A lot of vets are willing to work with loving pet parents who want to do their best for their animals, but have trouble affording expensive treatment. You're probably not in L.A., but if you are, I can recommend someone there.

I don't know anything about that kind of surgery, but $5000 sounds like an awful lot. I would talk to other vets and see if you could find someone who would do it for less and set up a payment plan. Wonder if there are any pet insurance providers that accept pre-existing conditions? Best of luck to you! I hope it works out for you and Sammy.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:51 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,393,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
What a hard decision! Can you talk to your vet about a payment plan? Any meds to make him less pain-filled?
We were posting the same thing at the same time, so it must be a good idea!

Old 07-20-2009, 06:57 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
yeah, i know my vet does payment plans.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:42 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,473,344 times
Excuse me if you've already checked this, but have you tried Oregon Humane Society? They've recently opened their surgery. Maybe they will accept a payment plan.

I'm sorry for your situation. Best wishes to you & Sammy~

Old 07-20-2009, 07:58 PM

181 posts, read 635,617 times
Hi, Put Down?? No Way!!

Quote:
partial tear to a knee ligament on a hind leg
- this is actually very minor damage.
(btw, I (human) had the same thing - very minor damage).

First off, put a (rubberised / latex) 'support' bandage on it - you know what a human would wear - this will give him exactly that - support.

Second, have you tried any anti inflammatories? Just to bring down the swelling / pain.

At the same time - only walk him on a lead, so that he doesnt over do it.

Third, see if you can get the operation done cheaper (I know I'm going to get a lot of hate mail), but if you are really struggling, do you not know an older person or unemployed - and go to a 'charity' vet / rescue place to get it done cheaper? - If anything you are saving a dog with very treatable (?) damage.

All the best.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:59 PM

181 posts, read 635,617 times
the (?) was for spelling..

Old 07-20-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
The meds made him very sick.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
Maybe your vet will give you a discount or arrange a long-term payment schedule. If not, perhaps another vet will. A lot of vets are willing to work with loving pet parents who want to do their best for their animals, but have trouble affording expensive treatment. You're probably not in L.A., but if you are, I can recommend someone there.

I don't know anything about that kind of surgery, but $5000 sounds like an awful lot. I would talk to other vets and see if you could find someone who would do it for less and set up a payment plan. Wonder if there are any pet insurance providers that accept pre-existing conditions? Best of luck to you! I hope it works out for you and Sammy.

There are not a lot of vets who do the surgery. It has to be done in a hospital setting. I tried sending out mass mailings to every vet within 500 miles- no go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs