Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 08:58 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,934,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
This poor dog was not prepared for taking a rival into his home. The blame is totally with the parents. If they had handled it differently, the baby would have become the dogs special job and he would have been willing to lay down and die for his baby because he would have considered it his own.
Im sorry, this animal could have killed the infant (whom was minding his own business in his crib BTW), and the parents and the infant are blamed for bringing their own child into their home? You making excuses for this animal is excatly how and why children and adults are injured each year from vicious animals. Blame the parents for being negliegent and not getting rid of the dog when the kid came into the picture sure, but I don't understand how this became a pity part for a dog that caused a innocent infant to sustain serious injuries
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 09:31 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
Quote:
Blame the parents for being negliegent and not getting rid of the dog when the kid came into the picture sure, but I don't understand how this became a pity part for a dog that caused a innocent infant to sustain serious injuries
Having a child is no reason to 'get rid of' a dog. I had rotties and chows when I was having my kids, but my dogs were well trained and I never had a single issue.

The pity for the dog is that it obviously wasn't properly trained and socialized. And the parents obviously weren't too good at keeping an eye on their newborn.

Regardless, it's a tragic situation for everyone involved. The parents have to live with what happened. The dog will probably be euthanized. Hopefully the baby will recover.

As for the breed, they've been saying it's a Native American dog, but I think it's a wolf hybrid. JMO.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:52 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
Im sorry, this animal could have killed the infant (whom was minding his own business in his crib BTW), and the parents and the infant are blamed for bringing their own child into their home? You making excuses for this animal is excatly how and why children and adults are injured each year from vicious animals. Blame the parents for being negliegent and not getting rid of the dog when the kid came into the picture sure, but I don't understand how this became a pity part for a dog that caused a innocent infant to sustain serious injuries
Here's my view. I have a golden retriever. Not exactly a killing machine but he is strong, high energy and nosey. From day one bringing little boy into the house we were extremely cautious about dog-proofing the baby and the baby's space and baby-proofing the dog. I love that dog and I don't think he means anyone or anything anywhere any harm, but he could completely benevolently injure a baby and I can throw him a lot farther than I trust him with the kid. These parents probably had a slightly different perspective or a more lax view of their dog. That's culpability. A dog is still a dog, not a little human. It pays not to trust an animal with the most important egg in your basket.

I don't know anything about that dog so I can't say if the dog was "properly socialized" or necessarily vicious, but I can say that the humans are the masters of the homestead (or should be) and this would not have happened if they were vigilant. Either way, you can't keep an animal in your home that has done that and the dog will probably be destroyed.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:02 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,934,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Having a child is no reason to 'get rid of' a dog. I had rotties and chows when I was having my kids, but my dogs were well trained and I never had a single issue.

The pity for the dog is that it obviously wasn't properly trained and socialized. And the parents obviously weren't too good at keeping an eye on their newborn.

Regardless, it's a tragic situation for everyone involved. The parents have to live with what happened. The dog will probably be euthanized. Hopefully the baby will recover.

As for the breed, they've been saying it's a Native American dog, but I think it's a wolf hybrid. JMO.
I wonder if the family of that newborn are thinking in those same terms now, I wonder if they regret not "getting rid" of the dog, while their newborn is in intensive care, hoping and praying the kid will grow up and be normal after being attacked (call it for what it is please!) by an animal

Whether the dog is properly trained, socialized or whatever, it is still an animal! Animals do strange things, and regardless of how confident I feel with my own animals I DO NOT trust them enough to leave my babies alone with them, period. They are animals, not humans! That trust caused this poor baby to receive two punctured lungs

And your right, very unfortunate situation, especially for the baby. At this point, I could care less about the dog.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:05 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
Whatever happened I have to say again, it is never the dogs fault! A baby was left unsupervised! I blame the parents of course!

Old 07-22-2009, 10:10 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,947,681 times
thought the thread was interesting enough to go look for dog info about this wolfish looking dog .. found this .. most interesting

Native American Indian Dog, Information, Native American Indian Dogs

IMHO this is really the parents at fault .. they were careless with thier child and face it a newborn anything to a high prey drive dog is just a free meal .. sad but true ..

Old 07-22-2009, 06:10 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenfatt View Post
Was it ever mentioned that the dog was a wolf-hybrid? I caught part of the ABC interview with the father. The only thing I heard was that the dog was a mixed-breed.

And I agree with Honeycrisp- dogs don't maul their own puppies. The father described broken ribs and an open pneumothorax- babies don't cry very loudly when they are vised into jaws hard enough to do that.

Wouldn't be surprised if "mixed breed" is all the TV channels say.
Probably has more people assuming "Pit Bull" -- at least until they can scour the earth for some more "dirt" on this particular mix as their new obsession. Then we can look forward to all kinds of "big stories" on this kind of dog.

I wouldn't say "maul", as the baby certainly wouldn't have lived for more than a minute if the dog was to have mauled.
We are talking about an infant, a days old infant. Considering how gentle we humans have to be with some(one) so very fragile, who would let even the smallest, gentlest animal -- or even child -- alone with an infant for a second?

Baby humans don't have scruffs, which is how a dog would carry a puppy. I imagine this dog must have been quite gentle, considering...pray God the baby's going to be OK.

Last edited by Travel'r; 07-22-2009 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: wrote sentiment as statement - fixed it

Old 07-22-2009, 06:26 PM

1,121 posts, read 3,666,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
I 100% agree with you. There is no choice when it is humans over animals, however, these parents choose to have it both ways, but they neglected to to their homowork. You can put any spin you want on this story, it is still the parents fault.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:40 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,777,706 times
Default I read.....

I read the discription of this Native American Dog. The website that I was FIRST lead to discribed the dog to be VERY loyal to the family including the kids. Actually when on about how the dog looked after the kids. Of course it was a "breeders" website.

So.......further exploring finds that the actual Native American Dog was extent but some one bred wolf and "another breed" following the descriptions the American Indians spoke of there dogs. Although it's also argued that there wasn't any written accound of the dog. Most described the American Indian Dog as a mutt. Something mixed with dogs the Indians already had and European influence.

Any who.....The parents might have thought that this was going to be the best dog to look after their family not realizing that the dog needs to be trained. To many people think that you just get a certain breed and presto....perfect dog.

Very sorry for both parents and child.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:41 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,777,706 times
Default Totally agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
I 100% agree with you. There is no choice when it is humans over animals, however, these parents choose to have it both ways, but they neglected to to their homowork. You can put any spin you want on this story, it is still the parents fault.

Totally agree....parents fault. Ignorance is NOT bliss
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs