Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 10:58 AM

3 posts, read 11,976 times

Advertisements

I can't imagine I am the only dog lover that has fallen on hard times. Everyone is having it hard financially. I have 2 dogs, we have always gotten them the best vet care. Normally $500 up per year.

Our Min Pin has pancreatitis. Now I know he has developed diabetes, all the symptoms are there. After all the great care I can't believe I can't afford to take him to the vet. Do I just watch him get sicker and sicker and then die?

I have had these 2 dogs for the last 9 years. I love them, but we are living on less the $1,000 a month with a few loan payments. My DH has been out of work for a year. I am injured so unable to help now.

Is there a program that could help my dog get the help he needs. Has anyone found anything?

My DH also has pancreatitis (hereditary type) since he was a child and developed Type 1 diabetes, he isn't even getting the insulin he needs. So we are not slighting our responsibility to our dogs.

If any info you can email, dray5151@hotmail.com

Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 11:26 AM

314 posts, read 1,104,825 times
I sympathize with your plight, but I think you should focus on getting your husband the help and medication he needs, then worry about your dog. Insulin-dependent diabetes is not something you can ignore without very serious consequences.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:42 PM

220 posts, read 991,203 times
Call your local animal control/humane society; they often have low cost or free vet care.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:45 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Both for your husband and your dog you can buy insulin at Wal-Mart or any pharmacy w/o a prescription. I don't dare tell you how much to give the dog. I gave a 12 lb cat 1 unit twice per day. Are you sure the dog is really diabetic?

Wal-Mart sells their own brand of Novilin, Relion, that is $23.76 per vial here. That is about 1/2 the cost anywhere else. I am in the medicare donut hole and ahve to be careful. I was on expensive new insulins, novalog and levimir, until I hit the hole. I actually get better control w/the older insulins and now take less per day!

Old 08-03-2009, 12:51 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
Contact local rescues too. I know I"ve had people call me and ask me to take their dog because they can't afford food, vaccinations, altering, etc., and I've donated that. I'd much rather spend some money to keep them in their homes.

Calling the local humane society and shelter is a good idea too. I'm sure they've had others in your situation. The difference is the others think of their pet as disposable and dump them off and drive away. It would probably be refreshing to see an owner that's trying to do the right thing.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:00 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
This will not help the OP but, I write all my dog's care off on my business taxes. We are audited in 07 (for 05/06). They questioned it. I proved we use the dogs our ads. They said OK.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:10 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dray5151 View Post
I can't imagine I am the only dog lover that has fallen on hard times. Everyone is having it hard financially. I have 2 dogs, we have always gotten them the best vet care. Normally $500 up per year.

Our Min Pin has pancreatitis. Now I know he has developed diabetes, all the symptoms are there. After all the great care I can't believe I can't afford to take him to the vet. Do I just watch him get sicker and sicker and then die?

I have had these 2 dogs for the last 9 years. I love them, but we are living on less the $1,000 a month with a few loan payments. My DH has been out of work for a year. I am injured so unable to help now.

Is there a program that could help my dog get the help he needs. Has anyone found anything?

My DH also has pancreatitis (hereditary type) since he was a child and developed Type 1 diabetes, he isn't even getting the insulin he needs. So we are not slighting our responsibility to our dogs.

If any info you can email, dray5151@hotmail.com

Thanks!!!!
They have small dog rescue which will get your dog the care. The problem for you is, they will do all this, and then adopt the dog to a new home. I do realize, not the answer you want. This economy is so
bad, I have no other answer. Maybe, give the dog up for the care, and then focus on you husband. If you have not the money, vets, also need to pay
bills, they also are hurting. Contact the mini pin rescue! treatment, and vet work does not come cheap. If your dog gets a chance, think it over.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:42 AM

3 posts, read 11,976 times
Thanks for all the good information. I have checked sites and my DH dr. for help and they gave us some forms, which we already sent with no response.

My dog is of course second to my DH but I love him and am suffering myself. To see him look thinner every day and unable to help him. I will try all the suggestions.

My DH is not some loser that deserved to be fired. He was at his job for 25 years, with top evaluations. He had a high pay and they just fired him for small stuff. They were always a laid back company that didn't enforce much. My DH has an MBA and can't even get a try for a job. He has now applied for hundreds of jobs.

WEll that is off subject I am ashamed to say I have always berated people about not having a pet if they can't afford to give them propere care. I guess I am learing thru this situation.

Thanks

Old 08-04-2009, 07:54 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Check to see if you vet would let to clean kennels and office, maybe yard work and trade. Just a thought.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:32 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
There is another thread on diabetic dogs, below yours. They seem to be testing their dogs at home, so read that thread and maybe send one of them a DM. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs