Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 10:00 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,905,350 times

Advertisements

We boarded our golden mix Max for a week at a very nice kennel while we were on vacation. I called the owner two days after we left him just to check how he was doing since this was his first time since we got him last February. She said that he was very well adjusted, played well with the dogs and not showing signs of distress (vomiting/diarrhea, etc.). When we picked him up, we found that he had about half of the food left, and he was rather thin. We figured he was just excitable being in a strange place and being with other dogs. They take the dogs out to play and walk 4 times a day and feed everyone at 4:30. His normal meal is around 6:30 while we are also having dinner. He seemed to want to stay in his crate the first couple of days, going in there without being prompted, and going in in the middle of the day. He seemed really whiny and clingy lately. Tonight, he whined a lot like he wanted to go out. We would put him in the yard, but all he does is bark and wants to come back in. Yesterday, I was told that he was pacing the first floor, and then went upstairs to my daughter's bedroom and immediately peed on the carpet and on her bedskirt! He never does that! Then tonight, he was whining so I let him out, but before I could put the lead on him, he bolted. My son and I gave chase, he on foot, while I got into the car and with cellphones communicated with my son. He finally caught up with him, and I finally got to both of them with the car. We immediately put him in the crate but he is fully awake. Usually, at this time, he would be sleeping.

Do dogs normally get whacked when they are away at a kennel for just one week? We were afraid that he would think we gave him away, since he has been with 3 families before we got him. Any thoughts? I am rather distressed since he always stopped and returned when we call his name. Tonight, it was like he did not know us, or did not care. My son said that before he caught up with him, he was running from bush to bush peeing on everyone of them. There were no dogs out on the street since it was pretty late so I don't know what ever propelled him to bolt like that. He really has been acting strange since being back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 12:17 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,856,481 times
Was this the first time you were away from him since Feb.? Only 4 months to have him, after all. Maybe he got scared you were gone for good? SOunds like he was frantically marking his territory when he bolted. Maybe some behavior experts can address your problem. Poor baby, he must have been stressed there, no matter how good the place is.

Maybe next time you go somewhere you could find a pet sitter? Some will move into your house and others come as many times a day as you want. I get pet sitters from my vet (usually their vet techs do it) b/c I also have cats and cats don't do well at all in boarding. Good luck!

Old 06-18-2008, 06:18 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,279,465 times
his schedule is confusing to him ...do to the kennel. I worked at a very nice kennel as a kid and even though it was upper class the dog is still locked in a "cell" for the majority of the day. I would never take Cody to one as he would flip out and think he went back to the pound. Also your dog could've picked up behaviors at the kennel ...learned how to whine?

Go back to the normal routine and he will snap out of it

best of luck!

Old 06-18-2008, 06:25 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,277,343 times
You've had him for a short period of time and then boarded him, it could have led to some anxiety.

If you use another boarding facility, see if you can't take him for day visits a time or two ahead and he'll get a feel for the place and know that you're coming back.

As for the food, we (yes I work at a pet hotel) can feed them, however cannot force them to eat. I'm concerned why they are feeding so late in the day. Does the staff stay at the kennel 24/7? If not, that's crazy. We have all of our feeding done by 2:00pm, that way if a dog has health issues we can detect it much better while we are still there.

Another thought, alot of the little girls are in heat right now and whether or not your dog is neutered has nothing to do with it, they are still male and it will drive them crazy.

Staying in his crate makes perfect sense, he was most likely playing tons more with his peers than he normally does at home. You said he gets whiney and wants to go out and then go right back in, are you going out with him to see if he maybe wants to play?

If he's urinating more frequently it could be possible he's got a health issue, if he didn't drink enough water it could lead to a UTI. That issue is worthy of talking to your vet even if just a phone consult.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:50 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,246,162 times
Your dog has had multiple owners and has only been with you for a few months. My guess is that he thought he had lost another family.

I agree with the poster who suggested a pet sitter rather than boarding next time you go away. I worked in a very nice boarding kennel and the dogs are in a cage most of the time, and there is always at least one dog who barks 24/7. It is a very stressful environment.

Give your dog some extra time & attention for a few days, he should come around. If not have your vet check him over.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:06 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,905,350 times
Thanks to all for your suggestions. Hopefully the bad habits will go away. He barked frantically at 2:30 am wanting to be let out to poop! Now that was another wacky schedule as he could hold up until 8 or so the next day. He seems to be okay now. Having a pet sitter is not going to be an option that my hubby will like. He is extremely paranoid about people being in our house while we're away, and that even includes the people that clean for us. Besides, if the petsitter would only come to visit and not stay, then he would be in the crate all day. At least at this kennel, he is out 4 times and he has "friends". We don't go away a lot, so hopefully if we do by year end, he would have adjusted or we could go and take him with us like we did back in April to the mountains for a weekend.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:35 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,430,239 times
I would prob. look for another kennel, not that this one was bad but he just didnt click w/ it (although it might have happened anywhere), he sounds like a sensitive soul. Reliable petsitters are good but I tend to feel as your husband, w/b a bit leery of having someone I didnt know in the house, even if they were insured, although bad experiences are prob. the exception to the rule. Another concern about it is that my dogs are used to a lot of human contact - they woudlnt get it w/ someone coming over 3-4x a day. If there's a reliable teenager in the neighborhood, you might consider it though, would pay them what you'd pay at the kennel and that might work out well - they'd have to definitely be trustworthy though (not snoopy etc) - heck, maybe they'd spend a little extra time w/ the dog (even staying o/nite if they could w/b good) if had the refrigerator stocked w/ a few goodies. Another option, sometimes the vet techs or receptionists dogsit on the side, maybe they'd take him home w/ them, it w/b an adjustment for him but not as drastic as staying in a kennel. Just a few thoughts -

Old 06-18-2008, 02:20 PM

899 posts, read 2,944,233 times
my two cents worth on this, we are parents to two cockers and when the little guy was boarded the first time, they were told he was from cocker rescue and all this was new to him..Well lucky for us they took him under their arm and with the help of our older one made sure he felt secure and happy..this was two years ago and he is still a favorite of theirs...So tell the kennel owners the little guys story and that will help a lot..my heart goes out to him..good luck and don't give up on him

Old 06-18-2008, 05:07 PM

426 posts, read 1,571,502 times
I agree, maybe next time find a petsitter who will watch him in their home. Even if it's a new environment, it can be a lot less stressful than a kennel, and you don't have to worry about someone coming into your house.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:39 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,856,481 times
I read somewhere, maybe another thread? of a certified pet sitter organization. Their sitters are bonded and insured and have had the necessary training for their certification process. Maybe search for it? It might mkae someone less paranoid if the sitter was bonded and insured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs