Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 09:23 AM

751 posts, read 2,481,373 times

Advertisements

On Saturday evening I was sitting outside with my sister and my kids. I hear this guy 2 houses down telling this dog to stay repeatedly. This dog is a 6 monthish old lab puppy. The guy started to walk away and pointed at the dog and said stay again, and then walked off. So of course the puppy followed him. He walked back towards the puppy, grabbed it by the collar, and started punching it in the head/face! I screamed at him - I cannot repeat what I said. And this stupid woman who actually lives there comes out the door and yells back to me he is not abusive. So I yelled some more choice words. The guy never responded to me, he just walked away. Then the stupid woman, who said it wasn't abuse, spent at lesat 10 minutes trying to get her puppy to come to her. It was hiding under the chair.

I call the dog warden and the message gives me a number to call animal welfare for dog abuse. Call the number, they say call the police. I call the police and they say call animal welfare. So I call the animal welfare again and say I just spoke to the police. The animal welfare person says they can do nothing unless they witness the abuse, and that I must call the police. So I call the police and tell them what the animal welfare people said, and they said they can't do anything. WTF?

Not only did me and my sister witness this beating, but so did my 9 year old son. He wouldn't even go to sleep that night because he was so upset. I told him I called the police and that helped him settle down, little does he know no one is going to do anything.

That's just fine, cause next time I witness something like that, I'm calling 911. Then they must respond. And if they don't I will call the news, they love it when our police don't respond. To bad I don't live there, cause that puppy would be taken by animal control by the end of the day. It is never on a leash. It even walked over to my sisters house the next day.

I'm so pissed about this I could kill someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 09:33 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
I agree agencys do pass the buck alot so to speak and then when you tell them you are going to call the tv stations , then and only then do they send someone out to take care of the problem and they want to have an attitude with you because you are forcing the issue and making them do something . I agree with you and i hope you can get something done with those ppl . those ppl seem really ignorant .

Old 08-25-2009, 09:34 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
. It is never on a leash. It even walked over to my sisters house the next day.

I'm so pissed about this I could kill someone.
Call the Humane society and if they can't offer advice or help you then tell your sister to take the dog if it is in her yard and immediately drive it to the nearest to a vetinary office and ask for the number of the nearest animal rescue or humane society and physically take it there herself.

I wish I could advocate going over there yourself and getting the dog - but you can't, but if it comes into your yard then you can physically remove the dog. I'm in dog rescue and stuff like this just makes me sick.

Last edited by Thursday007; 08-25-2009 at 09:47 AM..

Old 08-25-2009, 09:49 AM

5,014 posts, read 10,696,212 times
I would go to a higher power. Call a legislator. Call a federal agancy (the Humane Society.) Tell them what you witnessed and the behavior of the local agencies and law enfocement. Seek out every channel.
And if the dog wanders into your yard again, take it. I wouldn't even hand it over to animal care and control, as it appears that they will just give it back to the owner. I would take it and either keep it yourself or find a good home for it on your own.
And BTW, I commend you for your restraint. I don't know if I could have mustered as much self-control as you did wrt those people.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I would go to a higher power. Call a legislator. Call a federal agancy (the Humane Society.) Tell them what you witnessed and the behavior of the local agencies and law enfocement. Seek out every channel.
And if the dog wanders into your yard again, take it. I wouldn't even hand it over to animal care and control, as it appears that they will just give it back to the owner. I would take it and either keep it yourself or find a good home for it on your own.
And BTW, I commend you for your restraint. I don't know if I could have mustered as much self-control as you did wrt those people.
You can't just keep it in your own home if you live next door they'll see it or know, you have to get it out of there immediately. Like i said, go to the nearest vet and ask them for the nearest humane society or animal rescue organization. Most animal rescue organizations, like my own, put the dogs in foster care in private homes until they are adopted.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:12 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,850 times
Do either you or your sister have a camcorder or even a still digital camera? Try to get pictures the next time you witness this kind of behavior so that you can present evidence to the authorities.

DO NOT TAKE THE DOG
unless there is an immediate, life threatening situation. The last thing you want is for the bad guy to go the cops saying that you stole his property which is what the law in most states would view it as and you would be the one in trouble.

Humane Societies, SPCA's and rescues have no police/animal control powers in most places. If they have a good working relationship with the animal control officers the most they can do is try to persuade them to check things out and talk to the owner about how he is treating the dog.

Generally animal control will not seize the dog unless there is obvious signs of serious neglect or injury. If there seems to be some neglect, ie. too thin, small injuries, covered in ticks they can usually require the owner to get the dog to a vet within 24 hours. If the dog does not have a current rabies vaccination or tags they can make him take care of that.

I hope you're able to help this pup. I wish you could do an emergency neutering of the owner so that he won't breed any more like himself. That's what I always want to do with the idiots.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:17 AM

I reccomend taking the dog if it is in your yard only! That is legal. I reccomend taking it to the vet to get information because a lot of them work with animal rescue groups and can contact one and hold the dog until someone picks it up this way it is not in your home.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:38 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I reccomend taking the dog if it is in your yard only! That is legal. I reccomend taking it to the vet to get information because a lot of them work with animal rescue groups and can contact one and hold the dog until someone picks it up this way it is not in your home.

That would be OK if it were a stray dog. Even then you may be required to turn it over to A/C, which is the case in my county, but the laws vary from place to place. However keeping a dog when you know who the owner is and where the dog lives is theft in the eyes of the law.

If you are walking down the street and you find a dollar just laying there you can keep it or donate it to a good cause if you wish. If you find a wallet with money and a drivers license and you keep all of that it is theft.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:44 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
the world around us is very wicked.
the urge to harm others bek of it, is the evil calling you to be part of it.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
That would be OK if it were a stray dog. Even then you may be required to turn it over to A/C, which is the case in my county, but the laws vary from place to place. However keeping a dog when you know who the owner is and where the dog lives is theft in the eyes of the law.

If you are walking down the street and you find a dollar just laying there you can keep it or donate it to a good cause if you wish. If you find a wallet with money and a drivers license and you keep all of that it is theft.
If there are no tags on this dog or it wanders in your property you have every right to hand it over to someone else. You aren't keeping the dog for yourself. You are taking care of a nusiance so to speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs